Knife collectors?

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

bornwrongera
Sport

Knife collectors?

Post by bornwrongera »

Hi All,
Yes, this is a bamboo site, but we all seem to collect other stuff as well.
I like knives and think maybe you all do too, that's why you will see me selling some from time to time on here.
So, what is your opinion on me, or anyone else selling or talking about knives on this forum?
Thanks

bamboo
Master Guide

Re: Knife collectors?

Post by bamboo »

I for one think it's OK .Knives & fishing have always gone together .One that I have in my collection is a old USA Schrade folder with a nice bamboo rod & Rainbow scrimshawed on the handle scales. I prize it too much to use.

bamboo....mike

prairieschooner
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by prairieschooner »

Very cool knife; don't blame you for keeping that one safe! I can't say I'm a collector per se, but I have managed to "accumulate" a number of knives, both folders and fixed blade. I must have had a kijillion of these cheap "fishing" knives when I was a kid - you know, the ones with the white celluloid on the scales that started breaking off after about a week? So when I found this one with a nice jigged bone handle I couldn't resist, and it didn't hurt that there's a fly caster on the fish scaler...

I spent most of my money on shotguns, fly rods, guitars and banjos. The rest I just wasted. (Apologies to W.C. Fields)

DrLogik
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by DrLogik »

I have no problem talking about knives here. Heck, we talk about whisky, wine and smoking pipes!

Not sure I call myself a "Collector" but I've had a fascination with knives ever since I was a little kid. That was when we could carry knives to school and the teacher would ask to see it, and show you his/hers. That was when we could openly carry guns onto planes too. :\

I do own a lot of knives though. They aren't really collector-quality, unless Chris Reeve knives could be lumped into that category. I do have three of those. The Mnandi being the coolest one (see below). For being a "production" knife, Chris Reeve knives are crazy-high quality, true hollow-ground bladed knives.

I don't own any high-priced custom knives but I do still have every knife I've ever owned but one.

Oxbow
Master Guide

Post by Oxbow »

Knives have been discussed before so no big deal. If the mods don't like it they will let you know. I have a small collection of about 10 Case knives I really like but here is my favorite by Sam McDowell.

60InchDV8
Master Guide

Post by 60InchDV8 »

Hardy made some fascinating angling accessories that popular among collectors. The Angling Knives, #1 through #4, were attractive, well made, and functional. Here is a #4 Salmon Anglers Knife.
Regards from the Restigouche....Jim

Tangiersound
Guide

Post by Tangiersound »

I certainly enjoy collecting all kind of knives. Many German ww11.

kevinhaney1
Master Guide

Post by kevinhaney1 »

I will let my knife case communicate my feelings on the subject...

Kevin Haney, Vintage Anglers
http://www.vintageanglers.com

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

I've collected 1930s-1960s fixed blade 'bird & trout' knives for years. Almost all are US made.

Scott
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

Short Tip
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Short Tip »

Scott, nice assortment of bird & trout knives!! I have a small collection myself, I'll get a snap when time allows. In the meantime, I also collect fly fishing knives and gadgets, this is some but not all.

Loogie
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Loogie »

Here are a pair I enjoy looking at, but they are not used for anything else other than that! I have lots of knives but not for collecting, I use the darn things! Some beautiful tools shown on this thread!!

scarlet>fire
Guide

Post by scarlet>fire »

Love this thread! I have a small collection of knives, mostly Bark RIver, that I occasionally add to. Most all are fixed blade. Something about a quality fixed blade knife when hiking the high country or a favorite small stream!

Cheers, Chris

Greg Reynolds
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Greg Reynolds »

Living in Pennsylvania, I found these Schatt & Morgan knifes with their keystone escutcheons irresistible. They were made in Titusville, PA by Queen Cutlery--the small pen knife is a regular-production Queen model.

Schatt & Morgan opened in Titusville in 1902, and were purchased by Queen in 1933. The Schatt & Morgan brand was resurrected in the early 1990s for special edition models. By the time it closed in 2018, their Chestnut Street facility was the longest continuously operated knife factory in the United States.

reelsmith
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by reelsmith »

I collect fly fishing knives, but there doesn't seem to be much discussion here on them, or knives in general.

The first knife pictured below is a very rare Farlow, pre-1894 ...

Dean.

Short Tip
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Short Tip »

Greg, those Schatt & Morgan knives, very cool.

And I have always wanted to be Dean when I grow up!

Here's a few more, variously fly fishing, general fishing plus trout & bird. Look closely and you'll see the Orvis version of the Angler's Image Italian flyfishing knife, an Orvis "Swiss Army" fly fishing tool (made in the Japan province of Switzerland), a Western filet knife on the far left, a Boker Tree Brand fishing knife, an Opinel filet knife, various Case T&B versions, and a few others. My favorite is the tiny Case original "Trout & Bird", front and center. Sadly it has not been made for many years. I carry a similar, but much more worn version, on my vest.

The 'Hobo Knife", while not technically a fishing knife, was found in a tackle box pick and I love it. What better tool for getting those Vienna sausages out of the can?

Greg Reynolds
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Greg Reynolds »

Short Tip wrote:
03/07/21 20:11
...And I have always wanted to be Dean when I grow up!
I always wanted to be you and Dean when I grow up. So many interesting toys... :)

reelsmith
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by reelsmith »

Short Tip wrote:
03/07/21 20:11
And I have always wanted to be Dean when I grow up!
That's flattering (and damn funny) ...but trust me, I come with way too much baggage. :lol

Here's another ...

Dean.

kermit
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by kermit »

I have this modest collection of Bowie style knives. Pflueger 1494 for size comparison.

I keep these in a box for when the grandkids show up. I have to tell them, ask your Mom before they can haul anything off.

Last edited by kermit on 03/09/21 10:10, edited 1 time in total.
Zia Rods Brochure
www.ziarods.com

MKA
Sport

Post by MKA »

I don't intentionally collect knives...they just accumulate. And, these are only the ones within arms reach...

prairieschooner
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by prairieschooner »

Love the fly fishing knives; I have one of the current Marbles fly fishing knives in each fishing bag but the vintage ones are way cool! I'm not sure what exactly constitutes a "collection", but here are some fixed blades and a couple racks of my folders...

Image Image Image
I spent most of my money on shotguns, fly rods, guitars and banjos. The rest I just wasted. (Apologies to W.C. Fields)

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”