Louis Rhead Trout Prints

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

ttroutt
Guide

Louis Rhead Trout Prints

Post by ttroutt »

I wanted to share with you a really neat find that I acquired a couple years ago from an antique consignment shop here in Vermont. My wife spotted them hanging together on the wall and called me over to look at them. Easily to say that I was hooked as soon as I saw them, especially after I noticed who the artist was. Forty years of working in printing and color separations told me these were original engravings. So I had the sales person call the owner in CT and see if they would accept an offer, which they did and I paid just under $200 for the set of three. Each was remarqued in the lower right corner, signed by Louis Rhead and each marked as Set 18.

The photos below show pretty much the condition they were in when I got them. The acids in the matting and cardboard behind them along with some slight foxing took a toll on the prints, the artist remarques were barely visible due the damage. Taking all of this in consideration, I started to look into the possibility of having them conserved, I didn’t have to look too far.

As luck would have, there happened to be a person here in Woodstock, Cory Barbis, that does fine art restoration and conservation work. I brought the prints to her for an evaluation and estimate for the work that would be needed. By the way, Cory gave me some references one of which was the Copley Fine Art Auctions in Boston with whom they told me that she is held in high regard, good enough for me. So last summer I dropped them off and waited. Below are the results of Cory’s work and I couldn’t be more pleased with the results.

In the time between acquiring the prints and having the conservation work done, I decided to do some research about the prints, I didn’t want to pay a fair amount of money only to find out that there were only 50 sets printed. Searching the internet I found only one other print comparable to these in the Princeton Library, which is marked Set 14, see the photo below with description.

Speckled Trout Fighting, ca. 1901
Engraving on cream-colored mulberry paper
plate: 17.8 x 26.5 cm (7 x 10 7/16 in.)
sheet: 38.6 x 48 cm (15 3/16 x 18 7/8 in.)
Gift of Carl Otto von Kienbusch, Class of 1906, for the Carl Otto von
Kienbusch Jr., Memorial Collection

Below is one other that I found in the Library of Congress and public domain, but isn’t part of any of the sets. It matches one of images posted below that are in Rhead’s book, The Speckled Brook Trout, used on pages 21, 75 and 200 respectively. Notice those were titled, none of the sets had titles under them.

The best information that I found for the set was from an excerpt of a 1901 New York Times article regarding the exhibition of the prints at the Keppel Gallery in New York City. The article states that only fifty sets were printed, that satisfied my justification for the work. The article did mislabel them as etchings, they are, in fact engravings.

So now the real work begins, trying to figure out new matting and framing, the old frames were in very poor condition. A bit of irony or coincidence in all of this. When my wife and I were first married, we lived in the same town on Long Island where Louis Rhead’s home, Seven Oaks, was, I used to pass it quite often on my way to fish the ponds and streams out on Long Island.

Jim
Last edited by ttroutt on 07/13/21 08:50, edited 1 time in total.

Short Tip
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Louis Rhead Trout Prints

Post by Short Tip »

Some lovely prints and a great backstory. Congrats, the restoration work is lovely.

gt05254
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by gt05254 »

Great stuff...money well spent! Nice job by the conservator, especially.
Gary

crowebeetle
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by crowebeetle »

Amazing restoration and prints. Post photos when they are framed, if you would. Interesting information on Rhead https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_Rhead

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

Thank you for sharing. I had not heard of Louis Rhead until reading American Fly Fishing a History by Paul Schullery. Nice find!

Greg Reynolds
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Greg Reynolds »

They're wonderful prints. The remarques add a lot of charm...

Bamboocollector#1
Master Guide

Post by Bamboocollector#1 »

Incredible find, awesome restoration, and absolutely gorgeous etchings.

Thank you for sharing them and the story with us.
Previously known as bamboocollector11

carl otto
Master Guide

Post by carl otto »

Louis Rhead was one of the artistic luminaries from the late 19th/early 20th centuries. He bares some study. He wrote three or four books on fishing, devised some very interesting flies and lures, while primarily being one of the great book and poster illustrators of the time. His work bridging the Art Nouveau into the Arts and Crafts. He influenced folks like the great illustrators N. C. Wythe, Arthur Rackham and a host of 60's acid rock poster makers.

I personally find his book, The Speckled Brook Trout, to be one of the all time best early fly fishing period pieces. The content is of the time, the book design and illustrations are wonderful, if you can find a copy. Printed in 1902 in a trade and limited edition it speaks to an age and pace of life.

"A life grows and is advanced through the knowledge it acquires."

Carl

mlarocco
Master Guide

Post by mlarocco »

One would think with Google and the internet, finding 'gem's like this in second hand/antique stores was a thing of the past. But some things fall through the cracks. It takes some subject matter expertise (which you had) to search the internet correctly. You also realized the prints could be 'restored' , condition may have been a deterrent to other potential buyers. Nice find. Hopefully you have a nice place to display.

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

AWESOME!!!

adrien schnee
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by adrien schnee »

Jim, the engravings are great, and I admire that you made the effort and investment to have them conserved. Cory’s restorations on all 3 are truly first rate. I can understand your happiness and appreciate you sharing these with us. As mentioned earlier, it would be a treat to see them framed when or if you have that work done.

caddis44
Sport

Post by caddis44 »

Great prints and terrific story. Enjoy them!

davemaine
Guide

Post by davemaine »

Just fantastic!

bearbutt
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bearbutt »

A very well done job all around--both by you and the conservator--.

As for this:
carl otto wrote:
03/08/21 09:17
Louis Rhead was one of the artistic luminaries from the late 19th/early 20th centuries....I personally find his book, The Speckled Brook Trout, to be one of the all time best early fly fishing period pieces. The content is of the time, the book design and illustrations are wonderful, if you can find a copy. Printed in 1902 in a trade and limited edition it speaks to an age and pace of life.
I agree with Carl--the pseudo birch-bark cover of the first edition is simply amazing--. So is the cover of Rhead's book on bass--it's textured so you can feel the scales of the fish. They don't make books like this much any more.

Cheers,
bb

flyfishingpastor
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by flyfishingpastor »

I never get tired of heaing/seeing "resurrection stories!" Awesome job by the restorationist. Thank you for sharing! :)

Pat

ttroutt
Guide

Post by ttroutt »

Thanks, everyone for the wonderful replies. I will continue to update this as I progress with the framing, etc. I totally agree with all of your assessments and praise of Rhead's talents, interesting background, master craftsman, illustrator, painter, printer and fly fisherman. Another Catskill great. One thing I should have mentioned regarding the work, one of the prints was laminated to a piece of cardboard with, of all things, hide glue which had to be delaminated, the other two were not.
I will also pass along your praises to Cory regarding her incredible restoration, thank you all.

Jim

hatch
Master Guide

Post by hatch »

Nice stuff! As for framing. Here in Maine we have several Auction houses that specialize in estate sales. I'm sure Vermont does also. in these auctions it is quite common to find nice antique frames that would match the period of these etchings. Please don't buy something new made to look old. These prints deserve better.

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by creakycane »

A very encouraging post that there are some finds out there still to be had.... Very good eye and effort to restore these properly.

Everything about the "The Speckled Brook Trout" 1902 edition is superb. Even the simulated birch bark cover is charming and just right. The writing is by a variety of authors (the bit called "An Anglers's Notes on the Beaverkill" by Benjamin Kent is particularly good), but the illustrations are all Louis Rhead. Of the Trout illustations by Rhead, the ones you uncovered are among the best for framing and enjoying. There are other etching of fishermen along stream that are so good, they are better than modern photos to me, even after 120 years (though there are some photos in the book). If you stumble across any of these in originals that are available, please let me know! I must be hanging out in the wrong antique shops!

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”