A Quick Must Take Poll - Are you color blind ?

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

Are you certifiably color blind ?

1. Yes
17%
2. No
83%

Total votes: 58

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

A Quick Must Take Poll - Are you color blind ?

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

I think my being color blind actually makes me a better fisherman... and especially a better fly fisherman.
Its all size, shape, and most importantly - presentation.

Are you color blind a little ?? Varying degrees of color blindness affect everyone. Your rods and cones pick up the colors however they do.

That is not me. Red Green and Brown are all the color. So is Blue and Purple.
I also see all orange grass and do not have any idea what green grass could even look like.
I also have never seen a green GO light in my life. They are white.

Brian, who knew the car he bought was green, Shaffer

Picture below has a 12. Is there more ?

some interesting links I will post as I find them : https://www.bassresource.com/bass-fishi ... d-fishing/
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Use the SEARCH for justification and reasoning.

Brooks
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: A Quick Must Take Poll - Are you color blind ?

Post by Brooks »

12, 2 (maybe),42, 74, 6
On my phone....so might be easier on computer...

kimk
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by kimk »

Back when I was studying photography, I was tested using the Farnsworth Munsel 100 hue test and passed with perfect vision. It seems the school decided to test all students the semester BEFORE they took color printing.

AgMD

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

I also do not look for fish most of the time - I look for shadows on the bottom of the river.

My two much wiser older brothers who are also color blind read this, and one said - why are bragging that you are color blind to these people ?
So I understand at times it is difficult to understand what I am trying to say or do.

I am encouraging anyone with color blindness to try a little harder at this... at first it is tougher.. then it just might become easier.
Copper sunglasses seem to be a big help - at least for my individual color blindness.
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)

jimwright
Master Guide

Post by jimwright »

Brian, on Oct. 19, 1965 the U.S. Government, during the Physical they insisted I have to determine draft status informed me that I am. If I remember correctly you were supposed to see "onion" in their bubble, I never found it.

ttroutt
Guide

Post by ttroutt »

Brooks got it right. One of the toughest combinations is where red and green meet, i.e. red type on a green background. Your rods and cones can't distinguish the reflected colors fast enough so it looks like they are pulsating.
Brian, a friend of mine is the same as you and he found using the rose/copper glasses greatly helps, he said he could finally distinguish the traffic lights. He did, however, tie some weird colored deer hair bass bugs, but still caught fish.
When I had my color separation business, I had my employees get tested, it would have been pretty tough to color correct our customers' work if they were.
Jim

woody osborne
Guide

Post by woody osborne »

12 , 2 since you gave a hint for it. the others i'll have to take your word for them. when asked what color "this" is i usually can give an answer along the lines of green, grey or brown. maybe blue. i give them my 3 picks. also "is this purple?" "blue? are you sure?" i can tell red, yellow and green traffic lights.
it is just plain mean of you to put the colors bars beside them. could someone identify the colors in them for us?
in the 70's i was going to come out of Navy Boot Camp as an E-3 , going into the nuclear program sector? of the service. they corrected me on that after the color blindness test.

udiablo
Sport

Post by udiablo »

I hate those tests. For me its a 12 and maybe an 8. Kinda looks like something on one of the others. There is also a skein test with strands of colored yarn that I can pass which is a more realistic/practical and useful examination in my humble, but prejudiced, opinion. In my case having the particular color deficiency makes it easier to spot wildlife (and camo-clad humans and equipment) than "normal" others. An attribute that may provide all-expense paid travel opportunities to interesting parts of the world for a young man. The down side is that some of your gear-head buddies may get really pissed when you tell them their newest camo-of-the month pattern, (or the ghille suit they worked on for a month) aren't quite as good as they look to a "normal" person. Also, red golf balls suck. And the color of blood is brown, blood smells like blood so its easy enough to tell when you see unnatural dark spots.

mac7x
Master Guide

Post by mac7x »

The second one may be a 2, may be an 8, but I don't think it's either. No problem with the others.
I was an electronics tech in the Army a lifetime ago. One day I had to finish wiring a relay with numerous color coded wires that a tech on the previous shift had started to replace. I had to undo everything he had done and start over. When I saw him later, I asked if he was color blind. He said he was, and asked me not to tell anyone. I said I wouldn't, but suggested he leave the color coded stuff to others.

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

mac - I know exactly.. often times puts us in a weird position to correct others... makes me have to be correct at the color please...

Hard to believe - I actually have troutble seeing the 12 even.

Another quick way being color blind has helped me to spot fish - look for the trouts interior white open mouth ;) WinK ;) when feeding
Gary Borger taught me in his VHS VCR video tapes I bought used from the Bass Pro Outlet Store for 88 cents - 23 years ago!
They showed the tape for 2 weeks in the main store - then replaced it and moved that one to the Outlet for 88 cents.
I have 23 of them... doubles of some - and I still have a VCR/TV combo for this purpose.
Pretty sneaky marketing...

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bassman »

When I qualified for crane operator, both overhead and ground, I was tested for both color blindness and depth perception. They also found my peripheral vision is well past normal limits. Even so I had a hard time with the 74 and on a quick test I would have called it 21.

Boise Bamboo
Guide

Post by Boise Bamboo »

Exactly like the test I took in flight school at Fort Rucker!

Cimarron
Guide

Post by Cimarron »

I see all but the middle one. Does that make me color blind?

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Sure. Why not. Varying degrees on color blindness haven't been established - not that I've ever seen.
" I am a little drunk occifer. "

JMQ4
Sport

Post by JMQ4 »

Protanopia - found out in kindergarten when they did the crayon test for each of us in turn. I thought I was just not as intelligent as the others. So, I figured out my place in the student role, and, by watching the students before me, memorized the order of crayons in the box and passed.

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

As I strung up a rod today - I realized - that is why the excitement of fly fishing with a Royal Wulff
dry fly allows for no colors to be playing games with me.

Just another of the joys of fly fishing. Thanks to all for voting - I have learned a lot from this.

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”