In search of the ultimate ultra lightweight stream net

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

tightloops
Guide

In search of the ultimate ultra lightweight stream net

Post by tightloops »

A lot of my trout fishing entails long hikes along streams and rivers so I have been making an effort to reduce the weight and quantity of gear I take with me. One item that adds considerably to the weight of my Strap Vest is my net. I was wondering whether anyone makes a really lightweight, small stream net. I'm thinking a bow made from a single strip of bamboo and possibly a skeleton handle? Something beautifully made. Does anyone make something like this?

Fcs
Guide

Re: In search of the ultimate ultra lightweight stream net

Post by Fcs »

I like the low brow Insta Net from https://www.handypaknetco.com/. Get the Ghost model with the leather pouch. The plastic pouches start to crack after a few years. I see the handles are now teak. Like anything, beauty is in the eyes...
"Wherever the fish are, that's where we go."
Richard Wagner

MKA
Sport

Post by MKA »

If you don't require a wooden net to go with the bamboo rod, then the Fisknat Stream Carbon Fiber net is difficult to beat for a light weight net...

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi guys, +1 for Handypak.....

Jay Edwards

Dave Dozer
Guide

Post by Dave Dozer »

Tightloops,

I've been crafting trout nets entirely from Tonkin Bamboo for several years...the same bamboo I use for my fly rods. They are extremely light, much lighter than standard wood nets or carbon fiber. You can check them out at: https://bamboopursuits.com/?page_id=2039. I could probably do some modifications to my standard designs to reduce weight even more if that is what you're looking for.

Dave Dozer
Bamboo Pursuits
www.bamboopursuits.com

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”