Light Wading Boots....

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Light Wading Boots....

Post by billems »

I own a pair of Chota boots, made of leather, with felt soles and studs. Wonderful boots. But at day's end, the water retention in them has me hobbling along wearing as if I'm wearing boots made of concrete. Is that the case with all felt-sole boots? Who owns boots that remain light during a day of fishing?

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Light Wading Boots....

Post by PYochim »

Simms Flyweight. My only concern is that instead of eyelets there is a fabric lacing system. I don't know how that will wear over time. Otherwise the boots are very comfortable.

Ear4
Master Guide

Post by Ear4 »

I have had the Simms flyweights for probably 2 seasons and been happy with them. Originally I bought a pair with felt soles, then added rubber with studs for days with longer hikes. Been happy with both so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Lorncell

Post by Lorncell »

I have the Chota STL wading boots but haven't felt any noticeable weight difference that would be like concrete. Love the boots nice and light with a good grip. The newer boots have a Polypropylene felt sole and perhaps absorb less than older pure felt.

Bucktrout
Master Guide

Post by Bucktrout »

I love the Simms Flyweights- best wading boot I ever owned. Prior to owning the Flyweights I wore Chotas for many seasons. After a couple seasons you need to treat them with one of the common leather treatments to condition them and provide water repellency. If you dont treat them they will shrink and retain extra water. I have several pair that have shrunk to the point I can no longer wear them.

Eric

Cimarron
Guide

Post by Cimarron »

I bought the Simms Flyweights last year for all the obvious reasons of weight, flexibility and ability to hike longer distances in them. However, I found them to be so incredibly, even dangerously slippery in most situations on a variety of river bottoms that I have abandoned them completely. I know, put studs in them, but that defeats much of the hiking purpose. I went gladly back to my old Orvis clodhoppers.

Doug K
Master Guide

Post by Doug K »

I have the Redington Benchmark boots with sticky rubber, light and drain/dry quickly. Been very happy with these..

czkid
Administrator

Post by czkid »

The Orvis lightweights are also durable and comfortable. Had mine for 3+ years...no problems.

jwbowen

Post by jwbowen »

Simms flyweights for me. Have about 300 miles on Vibram sole boots in the Smokey's.
Simms didn't offer the felt when I purchased mine. I will upgrade mine this year. I prefer
felt but the felt longevity with my hikes has me slow to pull the trigger on the felt ones.
Flyweights wont take the Simms aluminum studs so it will be hardbites on the Vibram I
guess.

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

SIMMS "Intruder" wading boot. It was a hiking boot that they turned into a wading boot. Light, comfortable and durable. Stayed light after being wet. sadly they stopped making these. But I still find them on various websites. I've gotten 6-7 years out of my first pair and have two brand new back up pairs waiting in the wings. :). I may never have to buy another pair of wet wading boots again in my lifetime. :)

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

Smart thinking Mark. Get those cheap at close outs.
Now get some LFs for back up :D

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

ibookje wrote:
08/03/21 10:29
Smart thinking Mark. Get those cheap at close outs.
Now get some LFs for back up :D
Heck, I'll probably be dead before I can wear out the last pair. :)

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

I'll help you cross the stream :)

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

ibookje wrote:
08/03/21 12:30
I'll help you cross the stream :)
Nice. :rolleyes

When I get to the point when I need help crossing a stream I told my wife to just take me for a long walk in the woods and I don't want to hear the shot. :D

jwbowen

Post by jwbowen »

I really liked the sole on the Intruder. I still wade in the Summer in mine. I was
just online looking for a new pair last week! I don't like the built in bootie but
loved that sole.

Pwknauth
Sport

Post by Pwknauth »

To wet wade, I purchased a pair Orvis Men's Ultralight Wading Boot size 13, weighing 3.25 lbs.
Vibram soles, be sure to purchase and install PosiGrip Screw-In Studs.
Overall I like 'em

bob2935
Master Guide

Post by bob2935 »

Know this is kind of off the subject but I bought the top of the line Simms G3's with the rubber soles and I totally hate them. They have no flex, are heavy and absorb water and they are like walking with cement blocks on your feet. I feel like Frankenstein with the big clunky heavy shoes. Will be looking at what people are liking in the lighter shoes.

Bohemian Bob

BearE

Post by BearE »

Same here. I save my G3's for "dangerous" wading where I'm afraid I'll twist or break an ankle. Through the warmer months I wear Simms sandals. If the water is coldish I wear wet socks. I'd really like to find a pair of tennis shoes I could hike and wade in.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

MKA
Sport

Post by MKA »

I've been wearing SoftScience's Teraffin boots on small to medium size streams...have two pair with one pair being a size larger to wear with stocking foot waders. I mostly wear them with water proof socks when fishing my creeks and small streams. These are the lightest boots I've ever worn and are great for hiking to the stream...so comfortable. They went bankrupt at some point, but Skuze Shoes bought their inventory and are selling them until they are gone.

mtn
Master Guide

Post by mtn »

Time for new boots. I'm looking at both the Simms Flyweights and Orvis Lightweight models, any insight on sizing for a 10.5 street shoe size? Generally use an 11 in wading. My Korker Greenbacks were 11 and were light but didn't hold up well.
Mike

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”