Old plane value?

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

photoguy
Sport

Old plane value?

Post by photoguy »

I imagine that there are collectors in the world and I'm thinking about selling this old plane that has kicked around the basement for decades. Its a Bailey Type 2 (1898) and has all of the distinguishing features of that model based on some research I've done. It also has a very old repair to the handle- appears to be 2 pieces of leather inserted where there was a break. I have sourced a replacement period correct rosewood handle, but thought I'd leave it as is for the time being. eBay hasn't been much help in finding a value range as this plane doesn't show up in a search and the planes that do turn up are all much newer. So...since a lot of you guys use planes in rod making I thought I'd ask here. This plane measures 13 1/2" in length so I'd guess it's original intended use is in the carpentry world. It's complete and in pretty good original condition save for the handle. Any info/insight is appreciated, thanks!

Imagebreakfast places in wilmington nc

6tUc05
Master Guide

Re: Old plane value?

Post by 6tUc05 »

Check out eBay prices or some guidance.

photoguy
Sport

Post by photoguy »

6tUc05 wrote:
04/16/21 16:33
Check out eBay prices or some guidance.
Thx for that. I haven’t been able to find a comparable plane on eBay either listed or sold so it’s difficult to get an idea of value.

Simon.
Guide

Post by Simon. »

This guy might be able to help you.
https://www.plane-dealer.com/stanley-no-2-planes

Simon.
No sense in being pessimistic, it wouldn’t work anyway.

photoguy
Sport

Post by photoguy »

Simon. wrote:
04/17/21 03:29
This guy might be able to help you.
https://www.plane-dealer.com/stanley-no-2-planes

Simon.
Thanks for that link, I hadn't seen it before. I'll get in touch and see if I can't learn a little more than I know now.

6tUc05
Master Guide

Post by 6tUc05 »

I have not visited it in years so it may no longer exist, but there used to be an old plane collector/dealers sit that had more information about old planes than you really wanted to know, including values. Try googling it. If I have time later today, I will do a search and see if I can find the link for you. It was quite a bit different from the above link.

photoguy
Sport

Post by photoguy »

6tUc05 wrote:
04/17/21 08:39
I have not visited it in years so it may no longer exist, but there used to be an old plane collector/dealers sit that had more information about old planes than you really wanted to know, including values. Try googling it. If I have time later today, I will do a search and see if I can find the link for you. It was quite a bit different from the above link.
Thx for that. Makes sense that there would be some kind of sites dedicated to these but I hadn't come across much. I did find a few individual people that were helpful in determining exactly what this was but were unable to assess a value. I suppose the easiest way is to list it on eBay and see what happens. I was just hoping to have a better idea of a range to help me determine if the effort was worth it. I'm sure there are 'collectors' I just have to figure out how to reach them!

PJ Julius
Sport

Post by PJ Julius »

You could contact Patrick Leach, a dealer in old tools.

You didn't indicate the number/size of the plane, though it looks like a #5.

photoguy
Sport

Post by photoguy »

PJ Julius wrote:
04/17/21 09:10
You could contact Patrick Leach, a dealer in old tools.

You didn't indicate the number/size of the plane, though it looks like a #5.
I will seek him out, thanks for the tip. As I recall there is a number stamped on the plate that engages the blade but I don't think there's a number on the plane itself -I could be wrong as I don't have it in hand and it's been a while since Ive given this a good look. It measures 13 1/2" in length.

6tUc05
Master Guide

Post by 6tUc05 »

I have searched my files and can't find a link to the hand plane site I referenced earlier, but did find this, which may be of some help; www.antiqbuyer.com/planes.html.

Will keep looking.

Good luck!

photoguy
Sport

Post by photoguy »

6tUc05 wrote:
04/17/21 18:41
I have searched my files and can't find a link to the hand plane site I referenced earlier, but did find this, which may be of some help; www.antiqbuyer.com/planes.html.

Will keep looking.

Good luck!
I appreciate the effort and help! Thank you!

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”