How Do Ya'll Pack Your Waders?

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

How Do Ya'll Pack Your Waders?

Post by billems »

I used to drive old "poop" cars; semi-junkers where I threw my wet waders in the trunk following a days fishing. I'm lucky enough to now have a late model Outback, and my wet waders leave a mess in my cargo area. Do you use wader bags? Boxes. I have to get back there with a shop-vac after a day's fishing. Let's learn about packing gear and keeping it manageable in your vehicle.

snorider
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: How Do Ya'll Pack Your Waders?

Post by snorider »

One of the Big Blue bags from IKEA for the wet waders, it is packed in the canvas duffel with the dry waders and everything else on the way out.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it. T.R.

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

I don't own waders, but if I did, I'd just roll'em up 'till I git home den hang'em up in da geerage. :)

WiFlyFisher
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by WiFlyFisher »

Pretty simple, in the back of my truck I have a couple large black garbage bags and a few large carpet samples. You can buy from any flooring store discontinued, large carpet samples for about a buck or less each. I throw one on the ground when I am getting in and out of my waders. Shake it off and throw it in the back of my truck. My GSP loves them too.

The carpet samples also come in handy at the campsite too to keep the dirt out of the tent and place your shoes on.

John

flyrodman
Master Guide

Post by flyrodman »

Ideal way for your wet waters, LL Bean Boat & Tote carry bag

owenscaddis
Master Guide

Post by owenscaddis »

I use a 12 gal plastic container- boots placed in the bottom, then waders then vest/pack on top. After drying waders and boots, I store them in the box in the garage. When I went to go fishing I just grab the box and the rod and reel I want to use for the day. Can also throw in a small tarp in the box to step on when putting on and taking off waders.

Cimarron
Guide

Post by Cimarron »

I turn my waders inside out for the drive home. Keeps the truck clean and the waders are dry on the inside by the time I arrive at the rancho, turn them right side out to dry overnight and all is well. Boots stay on the carpet sample and a shop vac for any stray spillage. Helps to live in a dry climate.

kimk
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by kimk »

I also have an Outback and my waders and boots live in it all summer long. The waders go in a large Hemmings Motor News tote bag , about the size masons use for tools. The boots go in a plastic dish pan. Everything breathes, dries and doesn't get musty. If I am concerned about transmitting something from one watershed to another the boots go in a garbage bag and spend a few days in the freezer and the waders get washed.
AgMD

16pmd
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 16pmd »

For around $20-30 you can get a large (20 gal.) round flexible plastic tub with handles. You can throw in your boots then your waders and everything in the back of the car will stay clean and dry. The shallow and large diiameter ones are best because they allow your wet gear to dry faster. Hardware and garden supply places have them or you can buy online. Tubtrug is one brand, but there are a bunch of others.

Vaughanwilson3022
Master Guide

Post by Vaughanwilson3022 »

+1 on flexible tub with handles - works well with wet gear and for storing/packing dry gear.

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, I keep mine in an old external frame backpack rolled up and in their sack. [they're almost twenty years old.] Boots are in the bottom., and there' a bunch of extras; water purifier socks, peanuts, etc. I never hike in waders. I hike in, wader up, hike out with the waders draped so they dry. If just 'jump fishing' I throw them around the back of the vehicle to dry. For several reasons I wear hip boots a lot.

Jay Edwards

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bassman »

If we could do a "like" on posts I'd "like" those that suggest the plastic tub until you get home and hang them.

JabaliHunter
Guide

Post by JabaliHunter »

Almost ashamed to admit it, but I have used the Simms Taco and Orvis mesh wader bags for years... 😯
A plastic crate works fine too! 😉

DrLogik
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by DrLogik »

I use the big super heavy weight black "Contractor" 55 gallon trash bags at Home Depot. Cool thing about them is they also work great as a mat to stand on when donning waders, boots and gear. Oh, and they don't take up a lot of space either and I can pack one in my gear bag if riding with somebody else.

GerardH
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GerardH »

I have an older Cabela's wader/boot bag with a mesh upper that I transport them in. I also use old car floor mats to stand on when I put my waders/boots on and again when I take them off. They also double in service to put wet boots and waders on until I can get them dried properly before going back into the wader bag.

Canewrap
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Canewrap »

+1

ctwhite
Guide

Post by ctwhite »

A large clear plastic Steralite bin. I think it's the 90qt size. Wet waders, wading boots, jackets, clothing, gear bag, etc... all of it goes into the bin. It makes loading and unloading the truck pretty easy and it keeps things clean.

Boise Bamboo
Guide

Post by Boise Bamboo »

Laundry basket...

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by creakycane »

Cimarron wrote:
04/17/21 14:19
I turn my waders inside out for the drive home. Keeps the truck clean and the waders are dry on the inside by the time I arrive at the rancho, turn them right side out to dry overnight and all is well. Boots stay on the carpet sample and a shop vac for any stray spillage. Helps to live in a dry climate.
+1 In the humid southeast, turning them inside-out for the drive home lets the inside dry out, and then taken out at home and righted, allow the outside to dry and be grabbed quickly for next go round. Boots and wading socks go in a rubbermaid dishtub that fits nicely in car. Socks, clothing, gloves, etc etc go nicely in a big IKEA blue bag (as was mentioned). I have a couple dozen of those big bags around (some with zippers, some open tops) and they are strong, easily cleaned and can be had for a few dollars each on amazon. Use them for all kind of stuff,,, I do use big rubbermaid tubs, too, but they take up so much room, sometimes the blue IKEA bags are better since stuff can be compacted.....

flyfishingpastor
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by flyfishingpastor »

I usually have my canvas gear bag on the back seat. I have a plastic "tarp" in the back of my RAV4. Usually I wet wade but when I do wear waders I put my waders, boots and vest on from the gear bag and then put my rod/reel together and then go fishing. When I come back, FIRST I take my rod apart and put the reel and rod back in their bags/tube and then take off my vest and put it back in the gear bag (or on top if it's wet), then I move to the back, remove my boots (on a carpet) and then remove my waders and turn them inside-out. I put both in the back of the car on the plastic tarp. I then put down my rear windows on the drive home and everything is dry when I get home. :) Works great unless it is raining. Then I just stuff everything wet in the back and drive home and hang the waders up, inside-out.

Pat
P.S. My waders are always hanging up, inside-out, once I'm home. I put my boots and vest and anything else that got wet in a place to dry out as well. I NEVER leave wet gear piled up in my gear bag or in the back of my car. Getting wet is part of the game when fishing, but moisture is a BAD thing when wet gear is left piled up.

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”