New fish species in Montana

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

twistedtippet
Guide

New fish species in Montana

Post by twistedtippet »

A cross breeding program they attempted in Montana. The fish and game crossed a Koho Salmon with a Walleye to try and get a fish that could stand the warm water in reservoirs. The KoWal just wasn't hearty enough to survive Montana's winters so in an attempt to get a stonger fish they crossed the KoWal with a Musky and they wound up with A Kowalsky and it took 6 months just to teach it how to swim.

tt
Last edited by twistedtippet on 04/25/21 17:06, edited 2 times in total.
------------------------------------------------------
Even the blind squirrel gets an occasional nut.

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: New fish species in Montana

Post by BigTJ »

Ok I get this is a joke. But there are Frankenfish out there like this and they are just wrong in my opinion. We can’t seem to stop messing with, and in the process totally messing up, our planet. Human intervention with the natural world in the long run will be our undoing.

John

Brooks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brooks »

I find that Kowalsky joke very offensive.
My father was a walleye.

ablecane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ablecane »

Brooks wrote:
04/20/21 13:27
I find that Kowalsky joke very offensive.
My father was a walleye.
:rollin

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

Ha! Thanx for da laugh. :) I can laugh as my last name ends in "ski". It's "OK" to laugh at oneself. :)

twistedtippet
Guide

Post by twistedtippet »

Hellmtflies wrote:
04/21/21 09:31
Ha! Thanx for da laugh. :) I can laugh as my last name ends in "ski". It's "OK" to laugh at oneself. :)
So does mine, and I'm the OP

6tUc05
Master Guide

Post by 6tUc05 »

If we can't laugh at ourselves; then we should not laugh at others. I am second generation kraut and damned proud of it. By the way, the most aggravating thing about moving to a new community is finding a barber who knows how to cut all four corners!

Seabowisha Salmo T
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Seabowisha Salmo T »

twistedtippet wrote:
04/20/21 09:11
A cross breeding program they attempted in Montana. The fish and game crossed a Koho Salmon with a Walleye to try and get a fish that could stand the warm water in reservoirs. The KoWal just wasn't hearty enough to survive Montana's winters so in an attempt to get a stonger fish they crossed the KoWal with a Musky and they wound up with A Kowalsky and it took 6 months just to teach it how to swim.

tt
he, he, he. :rollin :wave :wave :wave

regards, thanks, jim w

Random Casts
Master Guide

Post by Random Casts »

I had a relative with the name Kowalski. He couldn’t swim either. Found out one summer while tarpon fishing in a tidal creek when he fell off the boat. He put up quite a raucous flopping around and spitting up water and calling for help. I threw him a PFD and told him to stand up in the three feet of water he was in.

My wife was laughing so hard she fell off the boat too....no PFD!🤫🧜‍♂️🥽🏊‍♀️

Also had an uncle once, his name ended in ‘wicz’. Can’t think of a fish name rhyming with ‘vitch’. Maybe some one can come up with one.🎣

Richard
Random Casts

Random Casts
Master Guide

Post by Random Casts »

I had a relative with the name Kowalski. He couldn’t swim either. Found out one summer while tarpon fishing in a tidal creek when he fell off the boat. He put up quite a raucous flopping around and spitting up water and calling for help. I threw him a PFD and told him to stand up in the three feet of water he was in.

My wife was laughing so hard she fell off the boat too....no PFD!🤫🧜‍♂️🥽🏊‍♀️

Also had an uncle once, his name ended in ‘wicz’. Can’t think of a fish name rhyming with ‘vitch’. Maybe some one can come up with one.🎣

Richard
Random Casts

GerardH
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GerardH »

Waited to chime in on this one until I could see some of the responses...

My grandparents immigrated from Poland and homesteaded the cutover land of northern WI in a Polish settlement area at the turn of the last century, my mom and 9 her siblings didn't speak English until school and were ruthlessly picked on by the Scandinavians that settled south of town. My mom and several of siblings moved down to Chicago to work during the end of the depression and during the war...of course, they moved to Polish neighborhoods and married Polish people. One of my grandfather's brothers, Jozef Lazar, was executed by the Nazi's for harboring Jews (you can google that). My mom always told me to marry a good Catholic Polish girl, so I married a Bielejeski who grew up in a Polish town in Minnesota.

So I heard all the Polish jokes...none are offensive to me but in all seriousness, back to the OP's original joke: the neighboring farm was owned by John Kowalski who was gored to death by a Holstein bull. That's spelled with an "ski", not "sky"...the "Kowalsky" in the OP's joke I suspect is more likely to be Russian than Polski.

dobry dzień
Last edited by GerardH on 04/25/21 09:53, edited 1 time in total.

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

GerardH wrote:
04/25/21 09:32

My grandparents immigrated from Poland and homesteaded the cutover land of northern WI in a Polish settlement area at the turn of the last century, my mom and 9 her siblings didn't speak English until school and were ruthlessly picked on by the Scandinavians that settled south of town. My mom and several of siblings moved down to Chicago to work during the end of the depression and during the war...of course, they moved to Polish neighborhoods and married Polish people. One of my grandfather's brothers, Jozef Lazar, was executed by the Nazi's for harboring Jews (you can google that). My mom always told me to marry a good Catholic Polish girl, so I married a Bielejeski who grew up in a Polish town in Minnesota.

So I heard all the Polish jokes...none are offensive to me but in all seriousness, back to the OP's original joke: the neighboring farm was owned by John Kowalski who was gored to death by a Holstein bull. That's spelled with an "ski", not "sky"...the latter in the OP's joke I suspect is more likely to be Russian than Polski.

dobry dzień
My understanding of the difference between "Ski" & Sky" could be a religious issue. My grandparents, who were clearly polish directly from Poland, changed the last letter of their name from "Sky" to "Ski" as "Sky" was sometimes considered Jewish not Catholic. Yes, it may be Russian as well as Polish but the religious issue comes into play at that time as well. Correct me if I'm wrong here but that is what I was taught while growing up Polish/American by my folks. :)

GerardH
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GerardH »

Hellmtflies wrote:
04/25/21 09:48
GerardH wrote:
04/25/21 09:32

So I heard all the Polish jokes...none are offensive to me but in all seriousness, back to the OP's original joke: the neighboring farm was owned by John Kowalski who was gored to death by a Holstein bull. That's spelled with an "ski", not "sky"...the latter in the OP's joke I suspect is more likely to be Russian than Polski.

dobry dzień
My understanding of the difference between "Ski" & Sky" could be a religious issue. My grandparents, who were clearly polish directly from Poland, changed the last letter of their name from "Sky" to "Ski" as "Sky" was sometimes considered Jewish not Catholic. Yes, it may be Russian as well as Polish but the religious issue comes into play at that time as well. Correct me if I'm wrong here but that is what I was taught while growing up Polish/American by my folks. :)
Obviously there are no hard and fast rules on this as there are some folks in our Catholic parishes that I attended with "sky" as their last name -- I know of Jablonski and Jablonsky families...they both attended our parish but were not related and the the "sky" family was from eastern Poland bordering Russia but remember that Poland's border changed many times over the past 600 years or so...ethnically they may consider themselves Polish, Czech, Russian, Prussian, Hungarian, what have you. Here's a pretty good explanation in Quora on this:

Why do many Polish surnames end in ‘-ski’ while Russian ones end in ‘-sky’?

Polish, which is written in the Latin alphabet, has ‘-ski’ as a very common suffix for surnames for males. For example, some common Polish surnames of this type are: Kowalski, Wiśniewski, Kamiński, Lewandowski, Zieliński, Szymański, Dąbrowski. Note that -ski is a generic suffix used to form an adjective from a noun, e.g. Francja/francuski (France/French), aktor/aktorski (actor (noun)/acting, drama) and so on.

Russian, which is written in the Cyrillic alphabet, uses an analogous suffix to form adjectives, -ский, which may be transliterated in various ways:

-skij in scientific-style transliteration systems
-skiy in several English-style transliteration systems
-sky in Russian passports from 1997 to 2009
-skii in Russian passports from 2010 onward
Option 3. is the simplest (although the less accurate, as it ‘loses’ the final letter й) and very probably has been used informally for a long time (English speakers wouldn’t know what to do with -iy or -ii anyway).

By the way, native Russian surnames only fairly rarely end in -ский (e.g.: Петровский, Никольский, Троицкий, that is Petrovskiy, Nikol'skiy, Troitskiy), much more rarely than Polish surnames. The most common suffix for surnames in Russian is, I believe, -ов / -ov , like for example: Иванов, Смирнов, Кузнецов, Попов (Ivanov, Smirnov, Kuznetsov, Popov).

This -ov suffix corresponding to an adjectival genitive plural ending, so ‘Ivanov’ means something like ‘of the Ivans’ , ‘Kuznetsov’ ‘of the smiths’ and so on.

https://www.quora.com/Why-do-many-Polis ... 20surnames.

Random Casts
Master Guide

Post by Random Casts »

Ah...ok...so to put this in perspective is the fish a ‘musky’ or is it a ‘muski’?

And I am one of those ‘wicz’s.

So after the British forces liberated the labor camp in Germany, the Red Cross was preparing papers for the all the inmates. My mother’s first name was Wladyslawa, she didn’t speak any English, they didn’t speak any Polish. From that day forward all her papers indicated her first name to be ‘Gladys’.

Richard
Random Casts

GerardH
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GerardH »

Random Casts wrote:
04/25/21 12:22
Ah...ok...so to put this in perspective is the fish a ‘musky’ or is it a ‘muski’?

And I am one of those ‘wicz’s.

So after the British forces liberated the labor camp in Germany, the Red Cross was preparing papers for the all the inmates. My mother’s first name was Wladyslawa, she didn’t speak any English, they didn’t speak any Polish. From that day forward all her papers indicated her first name to be ‘Gladys’.

Richard
Muskie

;)

Cimarron
Guide

Post by Cimarron »

Growing up, my grandparents employed a Polish woman who had immigrated from Poland shortly before. When I went to a snooty high school, her grandson was my math teacher. A wonderful American story.

Random Casts
Master Guide

Post by Random Casts »

So according to MNR, the correct spelling is musky and the plural is muskies. Must be from the Lithuanian side.🙁

Seems there’s no right nor wrong. You can ski in sky country!⛷

Richard
Random Casts

twistedtippet
Guide

Post by twistedtippet »

Looks like people are looking a gift joke in the smallmouth.
tt

twistedtippet
Guide

Post by twistedtippet »

Hellmtflies wrote: ↑
[/quote]

Mark
I heard the same story from my grandparents who came from Poland. Sky made you a Russian Jew and Ski made you a Polish catholic.
tt

cutthroatkid
Guide

Post by cutthroatkid »

Note for the following - I lived a long time in Kentucky.

A hillbilly is walking down the street carrying a fishing "pole" and a sack. His buddy Clem sees him coming and the following conversation ensues:

Clem: "Howdy, Jake. Whatcha got in that there sack?"

Jake: " Clem, I got me some fish in this sack. Tell you what, you guess how many there are, I'll give you both of them."

Clem: (thinks a minute) - "Four?"

If we can't laugh at ourselves, we're sunk.

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”