Yellowstone Grizzly Update

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

firehole
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Yellowstone Grizzly Update

Post by firehole »

It's my understanding he parked his vehicle at the Bakers Hole campground 3 miles north of West Yellowstone and walked in past the closed gate to do some fishing. I always see fisherman vehicles parked at the closed gate during the spring/fall when I travel by it to my my condo near Hebgen Lake. Very sad. RIP Carl
Dennis

Eric Peper
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Eric Peper »

IIRC there was a camper killed in his tent by a griz at Bakers Hole several years ago.
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich

PT48
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PT48 »

Very disturbing - both a fisherman and a bear dead.

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

It sucks - really feel for the family and what surely was a terrifying and horrible experience for the victim. It’s a reminder you never know when your number is coming up so live every day as if it’s your last. At least he died doing what he loved.

John

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

Terrible to hear, very sorry for the fellow and his family. Last time I fished the Park was the summer when two guys were taken out by grizz. Including a Japanese American man from a 'burb not too far from me. Am thinking as I'm fishing, oh great, now they've got a taste for guys like me. I was yelling out every few feet as I fished.

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by billems »

It must be some extreme form of denial--never thought about bears while fishing out there. I certainly will be in the future.

dublhaul
Sport

Post by dublhaul »

We were out there many years ago, and jumped off the highway to look at, I believe, Duck Creek above Hebgen Lake. There were signs on about every other tree, warning of grizzly bear presence and saying not to fish (picnic, etc.). We almost did - - - what's the risk, eh? - - - but didn't. That afternoon, we were in one of the fly shops in West, asked them about those signs and fishing. The guy looked at us like we were idiots (apparently, we didn't disguise it well), and told us there were dozens, hundreds of streams to fish around the area, and we would be pretty crazy to risk a grizzly encounter just to fish. Point taken, and remembered.

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

Yea, these big bears are not to be played with. Quick as lightning and function like a black tornado from hell. I've crossed paths with them a couple of times. Mostly while grouse hunting. Nothing will send the hair up on the back of your neck like the first time you see the size of those footprints in the mud. That and when you are fishing and look down to see those prints on the gravel bar you're standing on. Scary stuff. :)

snorider
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by snorider »

I went fishing in the backcountry of YNP by myself last summer and got charged. Not Fun! I had made lots of noise on the walk, was well armed, and still about scared the crap out of me. I've been recruiting a posse for the next trip, any takers?
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it. T.R.

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

A truly terrible occurrence.

I fished parts of 37 summers out of West Yellowstone--many times solo--and usually avoided the area around Baker's Hole and Duck Creek specifically because Grizzlies often frequented that area.

Scott
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

firehole
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by firehole »

Never knew this photo of me and a brown bear on Moraine Creek AK existed until my outfitter sent it to me. The bear never bothered me since he knew what was between me him was an electric fence.

Dennis

mlarocco
Master Guide

Post by mlarocco »

I think I saw that aggressive grizzly encounters vs human visitations is < 1:2,000,000. There was also a recent, publicized grizzly encounter with a hiker in Waterton NP (Canada) just across the border from Glacier and one 'experts' opinion on potential danger

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/alberta-wild ... -1.5393949

Not being there, it's easy to say the hiker 'panicked'. I have encountered Brown bears at various distances in YNP and Alaska. The time I felt most threatened was a float trip on the Alagnak rive through Katmai in Alaska. Our first takeout was on a braided island above a spot where migrating sockeye lingered. Someone was ignorant enough to catch and clean a sockeye below camp. It didn't take long before we had many bear visitations. I think the coastal bears are much larger than those in the interior, though I wouldn't want to be mauled by either. I mistakenly thought that I could jump in the river to avoid a bear but after watching grizzlies snorkel for sockeye I am now aware they are much better swimmers in current than I could ever be.

After the outfitter spooked a bear out of camp by discharging his 45 twice at it's feet, we settled in for a restless sleep. I awoke around 4 am. It was 4th of July week, so it never really got dark. I wanted to change my shorts. My back was acting up. I got out of the tent to use the poles of the gravitational water filter system the outfitter had setup in front of his tent as support. Shorts down around my knees and 2 800 lbr's with heads half the size of a washing machine emerge from the tall grass 40 ft ahead of me. My brain played the 'Do Not Panic, What To Do When Approached by a Bear' info I had read in various places over the years. I panicked. I took a calculated risk, quickly turned my back to the bears and started yelling "bear' into the outfitter's tent like a shrieky school girl. The hole time I was anticipating a bear on my back. Never happened. Turned back around and the bears had gone back into the brush, their morning foray into the fishing hole ruined by a shrill, loud human. The youngest member of the outfitting group was out the back side of the tent in his shorts with a sawed of shotgun. The next youngest claimed he couldn't find his shorts to slip on. I think the oldest pulled his head into his sleeping bag and hoped he didn't have to clean up.

The 'expert' may have over reacted, but I have only engaged brown bears a dozen times or so. Hard not to do something stupid ('panic'). I think the Waterton NP Hiker did a good job. Interesting side note about where to have your bear spray stashed. Wonder if someone fishing with a fly rod in his dominant hand loses precious time reaching for bear spray, assuming it's accessible. The original article about the YNP bear said a 'group' was charged multiple times. Seems each encounter is unique some worse than others.

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

Flyman615 wrote:
04/21/21 10:28
A truly terrible occurrence.

I fished parts of 37 summers out of West Yellowstone--many times solo--and usually avoided the area around Baker's Hole and Duck Creek specifically because Grizzlies often frequented that area.

Scott
+1. That whole watershed above Hebgen including duck/cougar and to the north on grayling creek has always given me the heebie jeebies. Truth be told the drive up to YNP is way more dangerous but you don’t feel like a potential bear snack when driving.

Guided in AK for 8 years. Lots of bear encounters thankfully never anything dangerous. Had more issues with drunk out of control people with guns than bears.

dublhaul
Sport

Post by dublhaul »

snorider wrote:
04/21/21 10:17
I've been recruiting a posse for the next trip, any takers?
Uh . . . no. Postively . . . NO!

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

snorider wrote:
I went fishing in the backcountry of YNP by myself last summer and got charged. Not Fun! I had made lots of noise on the walk, was well armed, and still about scared the crap out of me. I've been recruiting a posse for the next trip, any takers?
Would the purpose of the posse be to launder underwear? I would need a fresh pair after what you went through. Regardless - I’m out too!

John

jimwright
Master Guide

Post by jimwright »

During construction of the Alaska Pipeline I worked through the Brooks Range on "Remote Gate Valves". I was around a number of Grizzlies and have pictures of a dozen or so. I saw a lot of bear/idiot encounters but never saw a bear do anything aggressive. This is not to say they never do. I fish alone in western Montana most years, carry bear spray and talk to myself enough moving along a stream that I admit I may have answered myself a few times. If a bear was so disposed it could kill anyone almost immediately yet app. 85% of Grizzly attacks are not fatal. I admit to having a certain fondness for Grizzlies and to me the wilderness aspect would be diminished and Montana a poorer place without them.

Loogie
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Loogie »

snorider wrote:

Even if the are faster than you?

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

snorider wrote:
I'm in! I'll go! Keep me posted. :)

flyfishingpastor
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by flyfishingpastor »

In all the years I've fished all over YNP I am yet to see a bear close up - several at a distance but nothing like a charge or even seeing one close up and aware of your presence. Plenty of "sign" that they were there and a couple of times seeing fresh tracks on a sandbar and crashes in the brush - that could have been something else (but likely wasn't). I've had entirely different luck with moose. Been charged a couple of times by momma moose with a new baby when they came crashing out of the brush. That'll make your heart beat faster.

I do not take it for granted that I won't be a statistic some time, given the places I like to fish. But, sad stories like the one that started this thread reminds me that, someday that just might be me. I will say that the Baker's Hole area is one that keeps me on high alert and my head on a swivel for bears AND moose. The creepiest water in YNP to fish, for ME, is Duck Creek. The bear signs, both posted and lying on the trail, PLUS the thick willows and brush makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up. Don't fish it often, but it's one of my Son-in-law's favorite streams so every once in awhile he talks me into it.

I'm very sorry for the family of the man who was killed. May he rest in peace and may his family find comfort in the fact that he died doing what he loved doing - fishing in wild places.

Pat

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”