Thule Car Top Carriers

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Thule Car Top Carriers

Post by billems »

Considering the purchase of a Thule car-top carrier. I'd like to hear remarks from the owners--experiences both good and bad.

bobk
Master Guide

Re: Thule Car Top Carriers

Post by bobk »

Model number or picture would be helpful. I have had Thule racks to carry my kayak and then my bike and thought they were great.

carl otto
Master Guide

Post by carl otto »

Yes, it would be helpful to know what Thule you are talking about in order to comment?

Carl

Loogie
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Loogie »

Great baggage device! The tough part is remembering that it is loaded and if you try to enter your garage with the Thule on, it will be self critiquing! Dont ask me how I know.

AlexP
Master Guide

Post by AlexP »

Loogie makes a good point. Make sure you measure the total height and all your parking needs. I work in downtown Minneapolis (Well, not now during the pandemic) and there are a lot of garages in old buildings that their height limitations are an issue. It also applies to some drive thrus.

Tight Lines

Drossi
Master Guide

Post by Drossi »

I have a soft Thule that I use for family vacations to carry clothes, bed rolls, etc. Works great, can fit a lot of gear including folding camp chairs and folding beach buggy. I wouldn't ever consider putting any of my gear up there though, especially rods or reels.

DrLogik
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by DrLogik »

I've had two sets of Thule's and one set of Yakima's. The Yakima's were the last racks I had. I think the Yakima's handle more weight better than the Thule's. They don't sag as much under the weight. Maybe it's the difference between a round bar and the rectangular bar of the Thule's.

However, the Thule's usually "look" cooler and have better ski mounts (in my opinion). If I were in the market for new racks, I'd get Yakima's. The major sports I use them for are cycling and canoeing.

The best thing to do is find which ones fit your particular car the best. Maybe even try them out at the store, if they'll let you mount them.

GerardH
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GerardH »

I have a Yakima Sky Box 12 that I purchased for my son's Trailblazer that he hauled his and his teammates' xc skis back when he competed -- 8 pairs of skis plus poles. Easy to throw up on the roof rack and to take down again. It was nice that it could open from either side, it had a positive latching/locking and it worked even when it was -30 degrees and ice on it. We made multiple trips to Ironwood & Houghton, MI and Biwabik, MN for ski races not to mention daily drives from Forest Lake down to Elm Creek, Hyland, and Theodore Wirth for ski practices. Bottom line, I think you get much more value with a Yakima than with a Thule.

My buddy had a Forester with a Yakima and he had a little difficulty opening his back hatch...something to be mindful since you have an Outback as I recall.

gaddis
Master Guide

Post by gaddis »

They are great. I’ve used one for 30–35 years. The down side is, whenever you buy a new vehicle, you will have to spend a lot of money to get “reThuled”.

Mistermike
Sport

Post by Mistermike »

The round cross bars on the yakima racks makes them easy to use on multiple vehicles whereas my understanding is that thule are more vehicle specific because the square crossbars provide no adjustability.

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”