Mangrove Update from SWFL

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

Loogie
Bamboo Fanatic

Mangrove Update from SWFL

Post by Loogie »

Gents, haven't been able to breakaway to catch freshwater fish this year, only a couple days in March on our lake in VA. I have been working out of Miami so have been stuck in Sanibel and my wife was there with me for 3 weeks this month. I do miss the cold water streams, but on a positive note the fishing in the salt has been nothing but fabulous. I did take delivery of my new everglades fishing machine, just have to come up with a name for her. She floats in 5" of water! My wife and I have been targeting Snook in mangroves and Specks in the flats. I did manage to hook one Tarpon on a flat in Cayo Costa on our bigger Flats boat, for exactly 10 seconds, it looked like a 50lb fish, and was in no mood to getting dragged by a hook. Here is a summary of our adventures in Sanibel, hoping to target some smallmouth this next month of May in VA.

Kenneth
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Mangrove Update from SWFL

Post by Kenneth »

Nice!

I love fishing the mangroves. Given a chance I would choose it over fishing for trout (ducking bricks).

Thanks for sharing,
Kenneth

Random Casts
Master Guide

Post by Random Casts »

Loogie,

Nice skiff! I believe that that was the nicest and most wife friendly iteration of the Redfish series. We even ran ours out to the “C” tower south of Marco. We sadly sold ours a number of years ago. What’s your new ride?

Cheers,
Richard
Random Casts

Random Casts
Master Guide

Post by Random Casts »

Oops, make that the “T” radio relay tower.

Richard
Random Casts

Loogie
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Loogie »

Random Casts wrote:
04/22/21 07:07
Loogie,

Nice skiff! I believe that that was the nicest and most wife friendly iteration of the Redfish series. We even ran ours out to the “C” tower south of Marco. We sadly sold ours a number of years ago. What’s your new ride?

Cheers,
Richard
Richard, we have the Hewes Redfisher 18', with a 150 Yamaha 4 stroke, Ipilot TM. Its an 05 model and I have had it for 12 plus years, its a fabulous boat, it was used as a tender for a yatch that never got used so I got a good deal when the yatch was repoed! I got it with 100 hours on it. Its going strong and lives in our garage in Sanibel. We use it for big water and Tarpon or long runs up to Cayo Costa or south to Estero etc, excellent multirole flats boat.

Our new ride is a bespoke 2021 Beavertail Mosquito with a 60 Suzuki 4 stroke, it has a 6' Powerpole, I-Pilot Terrova with nav system and a Simrad EVO-9 nav system with FMT maps (picture overlay very accurate and WAAS). it drafts 5 inches with both of us and full gas and gear. I have a push pole and a casting platform for the days we will chase fish with no TM. Its mostly for me to fish solo in Sanibel, easier to launch and will be used in the deep mangroves of Estero bay, pine island and the 10k Islands/Everglades. It too lives in the garage, our house is on 8' pylons with a giant garage under it.

I am lucky to have a wife that loves the outdoors! Here is the new toy we picked her up 1 Apr!

Random Casts
Master Guide

Post by Random Casts »

Wow Loogie,

That is a great addition. Well thought out and well equipped for getting back into the “10Ks” and especially the “Glades”. The snook, redfish and babies don’t stand a chance.

I am also fortunate that my wife loves to fly fish. However there is a down side as well. Whenever I acquire another cane rod, there had better be one coming very close on its heals in her future!

Cheers,
Richard

Random Casts

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”