Head Lamps

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

MGrallert
Guide

Head Lamps

Post by MGrallert »

Hello everyone I'm need a new headlamp. Sounds simple enough right? I use one for work everyday so they get beat up. I also use it camping, standing in the rain crashing through bushes etc. I need one that will fit in my pocket. the lamp I really liked but died after a couple of years had a green light as the first light. I find the green light really worked best for me for tying on flies. So a lamp with a green light. One that's water proof or nearly so and one that is rechargeable or has a good battery life. Tall order so I thought I'd send this to the hive mind. Thanks folks.

DrLogik
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Head Lamps

Post by DrLogik »

I tell you what, I had an expensive Petzl and it died pre-maturely. I have been using inexpensive Energizer headlamps I buy at Home Depot for the past 4 years and they work great, are plenty bright and one model has an adjustable light beam. Highly recommend them. Less than $30 bucks to. Are they waterproof? Probably not but they are water resistant. I've been in the rain with them and they survived just fine.

The two models I own have 3 beams. One white main beam, two white smaller beams plus two red LED lights. Uses 3 AAA's.

quashnet
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by quashnet »

As a follow-up to the thread on dropping gear in the water, I'll tell you that a few years ago I was wading in a freestone stream and spotted, near my feet, an intensely bright red underwater beam of light. I thought that the aliens had landed and were trying to make contact with trout, the most intelligent forms of life on this planet. But no - upon closer examination, the light was emitted by a headlamp like the one shown in DrLogik's post. Since then I have bought or been given as gifts a few of these little units, and they work great. Can't say that I've seen one equipped with a green light, but a piece of clear gel filter taped over a white light source might possibly do the trick.
Please visit and bookmark the Paul H. Young Rod Database
Other rod databases: Dickerson , Orvis , Powell

VanfromMaine
Guide

Post by VanfromMaine »

NEBO , MYCRO. 400L, 150L,50L,15L rechargeable
On sale at website $19.99

cappy
Guide

Post by cappy »

For fishing I use the Walmart special that sells for $1.00. For all I use it, it just can not be beat. If I loose it, oh well I'm out a buck and the cost of a new one - LOL
Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.
Anatole France

Bucktrout
Master Guide

Post by Bucktrout »

VanfromMaine wrote:
08/24/21 12:32
+1. Includes green and red lights. I like the rechargeable feature

Eric

JMQ4
Sport

Post by JMQ4 »

I used to have a rather expensive Petzl - very nice, a bit bulky, but traded away. Last one I bought was an Energizer like the one above. It's much brighter than my old Petzl but considerably less expensive. I have no complaints.

MGrallert
Guide

Post by MGrallert »

VanfromMaine wrote:
08/24/21 12:32
That looks like the ticket. Just ordered one.Thanks for the input you guys

Holland
Master Guide

Post by Holland »

Good info! Apparently I can never have enough head lamps!

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by creakycane »

Only thing I'll add is that I have found a number of the cheap headlamps available amazon to be excellent for the money. The one main shortcoming is the poor rechargable packs included with the ones I have used. I would suggest buying separate AA or AA rechargable batteries to go with lamps available sans-batteries.

mlarocco
Master Guide

Post by mlarocco »

I recently bought a COAST headlight at Walmart. Worked fine on a recent camping trip at lowest setting. I compared it to two other Walmart offerings and based on features and battery life (listed on package) I chose the COAST. Did not want to be off the beaten path and have the batteries go dead. Probably should carry extra AAA batteries just in case.

3creeks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 3creeks »

Just received my Nebo Mycro and all I can say is WOW! Super bright light, very compact, and cheap. While I haven't used it yet I think it's going to replace my expensive (and bulky) Petzl models and I'll never buy another.

BigDog57
Sport

Post by BigDog57 »

DrLogik wrote:
08/24/21 09:36
I tell you what, I had an expensive Petzl and it died pre-maturely. I have been using inexpensive Energizer headlamps I buy at Home Depot for the past 4 years and they work great, are plenty bright and one model has an adjustable light beam. Highly recommend them. Less than $30 bucks to. Are they waterproof? Probably not but they are water resistant. I've been in the rain with them and they survived just fine.

The two models I own have 3 beams. One white main beam, two white smaller beams plus two red LED lights. Uses 3 AAA's.

I second this recommendation. I have several. One is always in my vest or pack or pocket. When you are slobbering through the willows on the way out from the stream in the dark, they are invaluable- frees a hand as well as decreasing falls and face-slaps. Decreases rod traumas.

MGrallert
Guide

Post by MGrallert »

3creeks wrote:
08/26/21 14:43
Just received my Nebo Mycro and all I can say is WOW! Super bright light, very compact, and cheap. While I haven't used it yet I think it's going to replace my expensive (and bulky) Petzl models and I'll never buy another.
Got the NEBO the other day and I am pleased. It will live in my pocket from now on. The price certainly was right the features are great and it's small.

bob2935
Master Guide

Post by bob2935 »

Thanks for the head lamp suggestions. I too purchase the fancy high priced head lamps and the life span and the quick weakening of the beam is frustrating. Perfect timing with this thread as our Golden Gus just chewed up my last Petzl. Good riddance. Picked up the strongest Energizer. Night fishing for browns in our local streams has always been my thing.
Bohemian Bob

bob2935
Master Guide

Post by bob2935 »

Bob
Last edited by bob2935 on 09/26/21 21:06, edited 1 time in total.

tabrods406
Guide

Post by tabrods406 »

I used to use headlamps but every time I turned to talk to someone they temporarily get blinded. Finally gave up on them and started to use small flashlights. One of the best is from C. Crane Co. - https://ccrane.com/cc-power-vivid-led-p ... lashlight/. It has an adjustable beam, from pinpoint to wide angle and incredibly bright. Also has a clip for hooking on your pocket or hat brim. Anyone remember C. Crane from the ads on "Coast to Coast AM" with Art Bell? They also sell great radios.

Tom

roycestearns
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by roycestearns »

I'd highly recommend one of these ... actually I'd like to see one of these (ca 1890s).

MGrallert
Guide

Post by MGrallert »

roycestearns wrote:
09/27/21 09:53
I'd highly recommend one of these ... actually I'd like to see one of these (ca 1890s).

Certainly can't beat the price.

JMQ4
Sport

Post by JMQ4 »

that's pretty cool, unwieldy, but cool nonetheless

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”