Venomous Snakes suggestions

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

Webfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Venomous Snakes suggestions

Post by Webfly »

dublhaul wrote:
09/17/21 12:02
Webfly wrote:
09/02/21 18:43

Wow, not sure if I could enjoy this hobby or any outdoor pastime with that phobia...

Saw 3 sets of these in one day on one of the best trout streams in the Midwest.

And yes, they are true cottonmouths…
I was going to question that Midwest distribution of cottonmouths. Good thing I looked, or I would have looked foolish (more so than normal).

That map is probably already outdated anyway. I live in Missouri and you should see how quickly the armadillos have moved north. The big hurdle was to cross the Missouri River and they have already done that!

carlz
Guide

Post by carlz »

• Watch yourself getting in and out of the water
  • look where you are placing your hands.
  • stay in the water if you can
  • wear waders
    [*'] make a lot of noise/vibrations when bushwacking
They don't want to run into you either, Just pay attention to your surroundings.

On the other hand, the biggest scare I've had when fishing was watching a 6ft rattler swimming across the river where I was getting in. I would hate to have had him floating down at me when I was standing mid-stream. He then got out of the river and curled up under my car, on the gravel under the engine on the drivers side of the car. I just went fishing and gave him time to leave. Though I did do a big inspection of the car, engine compartment, wheel well, .... when I got back.

Salar4me
Guide

Post by Salar4me »

I have to admit I’ve never seen a venomous snake, although they do exist in our part of the world. I found these snake bite kits at an Angler’s Market place auction and thought they would make interesting conversation pieces in our Adirondack room. No other bidders so shipping was more than the hammer price (at the $10 min bid)... interesting contents - razor blades, tourniquets, suction devices...

thegubster
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by thegubster »

Interesting post indeed. Always been an interested snake-guy. My son had a few nice pythons in college and brought them home on occasion...

Anyway, brief story on a near-miss on my end "looking"....when I wasn't supposed to.

In 1970, Viet Nam. We were pulling security for a med team administering vaccines to some villagers. I sat on my jeep, writing a letter to my best bud back home when I saw a colorful lizard scamper out front. Figured "Heh, take his tail and send it home to my pal..." I was 20, bare with me...

I lost him on the grass. Went looking for maybe 50 ft and nothing. Turned to come back and saw this garbage/brush pile in the middle of the village area. Figured I'd find a lil' lizard or ?? in that pile. It was admittedly stupid, this was a war zone and we'd been warned about such things...

Got down on my knees and wanted to look under this pile of bamboo pieces that were sticking out knowing full well "stuff" would be living under that...

I lifted a chunk of 1/2 round stock that was sticking out, lifted it about 6" high and took a look...............
I saw a "SPRING-LOADED" live grenade with the top lever being held down by that bit of stock I was lifting. I froze...If I'd have lifted it another 2" ... yeah...

A demo guy was called and took care of it. He looked at me and just said "Man, you'd have never heard it...!!"

Went back to the jeep and wrote to my buddy " You'll never guess what just happened..."

Really, REALLY dumb. We were warned re booby traps. Never would've guessed with all the kids playing around! Phew....

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”