Try this instead of a nail knot - C&F tool Splice Needle Zap connection

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Try this instead of a nail knot - C&F tool Splice Needle Zap connection

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

Look Ma - no knots to catch on the tip top!

A single drop of ZapAGap will hold the leader butt end to the plastic fly line.
Of course you have to pull on the glued connection to make sure it will not fail.
After twenty or so times... it is much easier to do on stream too... try it - you might like it!

Not classic at all... but sometimes you want a smooth connection...
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

You either like cane fly rods - or you don't.

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Try this instead of a nail knot - C&F tool Splice Needle Zap connection

Post by billems »

I own one. It's a slick little tool. I'll use it at home. But I've also cut the knot and used the old nail knot while onstream.

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

The C&F needle is pretty fragile and breaks easily. Not only that, but the tool is hard to find in shops. I have used this knot for a while and am quite pleased with it. I do use a magnifier when I tie it and the end result is close to perfect.

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Goodness gracious - I just remembered Dave Whitlock had a kit made... and it came with a DVD of him - super cool!
I just bought one because I like that guy!
https://davewhitlock.com/shop/zap-adhes ... n-kit-dvd/
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

YouTube, a small sewing needle and a tube end of a fly tying bobbin to tie the actual knot. Save your $$

ttroutt
Guide

Post by ttroutt »

PYochim wrote:
09/03/21 12:56
YouTube, a small sewing needle and a tube end of a fly tying bobbin to tie the actual knot. Save your $$
+1 for the sewing machine needles, and they come in many sizes.

Bee
Master Guide

Post by Bee »

I have used this knot for many years.

Recently I have had problems in getting a good needle hole for the butt section in various brand fly lines due to very small diameter tip sections . It has not worked for me in several cases as the butt sections of leaders and the tip sections of one are not good matches, and stretching the tip sections to accommodate any desired butt section only weakens the section to be a failure waiting to happen.

It a great knot when it works and especially good on large diameter fly lines like spey lines and the like.

Bucktrout
Master Guide

Post by Bucktrout »

Bee wrote:
09/04/21 07:59
I have used this knot for many years.

Recently I have had problems in getting a good needle hole for the butt section in various brand fly lines due to very small diameter tip sections . It has not worked for me in several cases as the butt sections of leaders and the tip sections of one are not good matches, and stretching the tip sections to accommodate any desired butt section only weakens the section to be a failure waiting to happen.

It a great knot when it works and especially good on large diameter fly lines like spey lines and the like.
I’ve been having the same issue with several lines that have small front sections. Was considering using some Eagle Claw leader links on these lines but can’t find any available. Maybe just going to go with a nail knot

Eric

Peales
Master Guide

Post by Peales »

Brian,
Did this chat take a detour from the intent of your original post? I assumed you were suggesting a knotless connection between leader and flyline. And if so, have any of these connections ever failed on you? And when?

It seems like the ultimate solution for trout rods, and especially trout rods with tiny tip-tops. I have one of these glued setups on a 3wt line and leader that came with a reel I bought a couple of years ago. Looks to have been done some time ago, and yet shows no sign of fatigue or potential failure.

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

The Al Calucci article Krazy Glue Splice. I was sure I had seen this all before.

2014 post - viewtopic.php?t=77580

Peales
Master Guide

Post by Peales »

Thanks for the link!

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by billems »

The issue for me would be to trust it. I'd hate to catch what the fishing writers call, "Da-fish-uv-a-lifetime," and have it let go.

twistedtippet
Guide

Post by twistedtippet »

I used the Zap-A-Gap connection for a number of years, and it always eventually failed, usually departing with a good fish. I have since used the needle knot with Zap-A-Gap and coated with Knot Sense. Never a failure, and it goes thru the guides just as well.
tt
------------------------------------------------------
Even the blind squirrel gets an occasional nut.

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”