Are you planning to get your Covid Vaccine Booster?

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

Heddon20
Guide

Are you planning to get your Covid Vaccine Booster?

Post by Heddon20 »

I'm definitely going to. Better to be safe than sorry.

The problem is that there's a lot of confusion surrounding this right now. I got my 2nd Moderna shot on 2/4 so I'll be 8 months out on 10/4. Moderna just submitted the rest of their booster shot data to the FDA on Fri. So hopefully the issue regarding whether the Moderna booster will be a half dose or full dose will get resolved by the time the current Administration is due to make their booster announcement on 9/20.
Brian

crowebeetle
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Are you planning to get your Covid Vaccine Booster?

Post by crowebeetle »

Yes, How many people on this site have had friends or relatives suffer from covid?

Srock
Sport

Post by Srock »

Yes, I think I am eligible in early October.

KLNC
Guide

Post by KLNC »

Yes, as soon as it's available and FDA and CDC approve it for use, hopefully soon.
KLNC (formerly Spey Salar on the Forum)

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bassman »

Moderna for me soon. Local H&W office will give booster full strength for elder and compromised and that's me. Had a family situation this past week and will make it next week.
Yes, my wife had it. Early stages of Covid and had a couple of rough weeks and long termed for couple months but no hospital or respirator.

Heddon20
Guide

Post by Heddon20 »

My wife got the 2nd shot of the Pfizer vaccine in mid Feb, so she'll be eligible for the booster a couple weeks after me. Our oldest son (14) was fully vaccinated in mid July so he's a long ways off from needing the booster. His younger brother (11) isn't eligible yet. Hopefully the FDA and CDC will give EUA for kids 5-11 late this fall.
Brian

St Vrain Angler
Master Guide

Post by St Vrain Angler »

Because of our ages and when we received our initial shots--and recommendations from our PCPs and a virologist friend--my wife and I got Moderna boosters last week (just a third dose of the same vaccine). We weighed the ethics of getting a third shot before most people in the world haven't had the first; but based on what we've read, it's not an issue given current supply expiration dates and anticipated production. We simply booked appointments at a nearby big-chain pharmacy and were done in fifteen minutes, no questions asked. Side effects were similar to the mild reactions following our second dose.
BTW, the WSJ recently had an article regarding the efficacy of and increased protection from a third Moderna dose.

Skeet1969
Guide

Post by Skeet1969 »

crowebeetle wrote:
09/05/21 13:20
Yes, How many people on this site have had friends or relatives suffer from covid?
A good number of coworkers, 10+ easily in all departments over the last year. (I live in PA, but still work as essential gov't employee in NY). Two coworkers fathers passed, and one coworker also passed, though he was a cancer survivor missing a lung.

My best friend also had it, and his dad passed in a nursing home from it.

2 more coworkers in my little building of 15 just had it in the last month or two - and they were both Pfizer vaccinated.

Mike B

Bill Terry
Guide

Post by Bill Terry »

My wife's best friend's father, aged about 90 and suffering from dementia, died of COVID-19 last summer. A good friend of mine, aged about 70, had one of the first cases in Broomfield, Colorado, and he was in a medically induced coma and on a ventilator for about a month. He lost 35 pounds during his treatment, but he has recovered. Another friend, aged about 40, had "long COVID," but he has also recovered. Perhaps coincidentally, perhaps not, he recovered after being vaccinated.

I got my second dose of Pfizer in February, so I'll be eligible for a booster in October. Currently, I'm seeing conflicting authoritative advice (not from charlatans like Tucker Carlson) on the need for a booster and on when it should be given. Presumably, more will be known by then. I find the Delta variant very scary. If there is still uncertainty, I'll err on the side of the booster.
Ad piscatoribus sunt omnes res secundi.

GrsdLnr
Master Guide

Post by GrsdLnr »

My brother is on immunosupressives (kidney transplant) and received his 3rd Moderna shot about a week and a half ago. Just walked into the pharmacy where he got the first two and when he told them why he was there, got the jab right away. He still has to be extra careful but I can breathe a little easier knowing he has an extra margin of safety.

Eight months from my second Moderna shot will be mid-Nov and I will absolutely get a third if available.
In our family there was no clear line between psychotherapy and flyfishing...

rsagebrush
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by rsagebrush »

Probably not, the first two vaccines don't seem to work effectively, no more experimental injections for me. Israel the most vaccinated Country in the world is having a tremendous problem now.
My brother died from chinese flu and an Uncle I guess, but who knows.
Pretty soon they might be recommending boosters every month.

G-ManBart
Master Guide

Post by G-ManBart »

I'll follow whatever the FDA/CDC guidelines are when I'm eligible. I'm not thrilled about it as my second shot of Modern had me sick as a dog for three days, but it's better than the alternative from what I've seen.

I know far too many people who have died from Covid or gotten very sick to take it lightly. I'm certain my wife and I had it, but waited too long to get tested...we had reasonably mild symptoms.

I have had two coworkers in their late 40s to early 50s wind up in the hospital with Delta in the past month....both on oxygen, but not ventilators. One was vaccinated and his doctor said he otherwise likely wouldn't have survived it. The other wasn't vaccinated because his father died of a rare vaccination complication and his doctors have always recommended not having certain kinds of vaccinations as a precaution. He wound up with heart complications that may ultimately require a pacemaker (he's only in his 40s) and said he's not taking chances, so he got his first shot.

fisherman911
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by fisherman911 »

Yes as soon as possible. Vaccines work. They are not 100% effective, inclining the normal Flue Vaccine, but much better then the alternative.

St Vrain Angler
Master Guide

I should have added in response to crowebeetle's query that we have numerous friends and relatives of all ages (teens through folks in their 80s) who've had Covid. Most have had relatively mild symptoms for a few weeks, some were hospitalized (and barely survived with lingering after effects), and two died. Our 40 year-old daughter recently suffered a breakthrough infection and improved only after being given a monoclonal antibody infusion. She still tires easily and hasn't regained her sense of taste or smell.

flyfishingpastor
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by flyfishingpastor »

Yes, I will get a booster, if recommended, but I don't think I'm eligible until November. But, I will take it as soon as possible. I had a sister die with Covid 19 before the vaccine came out and I lost a nephew in Florida 2 weeks ago to the Delta Variant - he had both shots but, was immune compromised due to a double lung transplant several years ago. He has largely been in quarantine since the virus hit and had both shots as soon as they cleared it for him. Though he had been in quarantine for 18 months or so, he recently fell and, they believe he contracted it where he went for PT to help him heal past his fall. He was diagnosed on Monday, passed away on Thursday. Oh, yeah. I'll get a booster.

Pat

GRASSNGLASS
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GRASSNGLASS »

Wish I could get it now, but probably November at earliest for Moderna. Florida isn't the place to go unvaccinated, large part of population is antivax and antimask.

Heddon20
Guide

Post by Heddon20 »

St Vrain Angler wrote:
09/05/21 15:35
Because of our ages and when we received our initial shots--and recommendations from our PCPs and a virologist friend--my wife and I got Moderna boosters last week (just a third dose of the same vaccine). We weighed the ethics of getting a third shot before most people in the world haven't had the first; but based on what we've read, it's not an issue given current supply expiration dates and anticipated production. We simply booked appointments at a nearby big-chain pharmacy and were done in fifteen minutes, no questions asked. Side effects were similar to the mild reactions following our second dose.
BTW, the WSJ recently had an article regarding the efficacy of and increased protection from a third Moderna dose.
Sounds like it's possible that the Moderna booster might be delayed 2/3 weeks after the Pfizer booster gets authorized. Kind of puts me in a weird spot given that if Pfizer booster gets the green light on the 20th and the moderna booster is not authorized until a few weeks after that, I would then be past my 8 month mark. A week or two past is probably fine, but I don't want to delay it any longer than that.

My wife and I were talking about that very subject the other night. Just get the 3rd dose when we're eligible regardless of whether or not boosters are approved by then. I may very well do that if the moderna booster approval isn't done by the time I'm eligible on 10/4. I had a mild reaction for about 24 hours following my 2nd dose, so not too concerned about the 3rd one.
Brian

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

Yes, why wouldn't I?

Bamboocollector#1
Master Guide

Post by Bamboocollector#1 »

My daughter got hers earlier this week; comprised immune system. So, when I am able to I will too.
Previously known as bamboocollector11

St Vrain Angler
Master Guide

We relied on our physicians' recommendation to get the booster as soon as possible--regardless of whether it was Moderna or Pfizer. They were more concerned about our getting the booster than whether we got Moderna or Pfizer. In fact, they considered both to be effectively interchangeable and safe to mix. They also said, as did our virologist friend, there's a likelihood that mixing the two could provide even stronger protection.

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”