The Prettiest Trout?

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

flyrod
Guide

The Prettiest Trout?

Post by flyrod »

We all have our favorite trout to fish for, but which trout is the prettiest? I'll start with my pick, the Southern Appalachian brook trout (Salvelinus fontinalis).

Expsp4043
Sport

Re: The Prettiest Trout?

Post by Expsp4043 »

Flyrod, I couldn't agreee more!

fishbum
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by fishbum »

Hands down brook trout in their fall spawning color.

quashnet
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by quashnet »

Please visit and bookmark the Paul H. Young Rod Database
Other rod databases: Dickerson , Orvis , Powell

BDNGRD
Sport

Post by BDNGRD »

I doubt there will be much debate- is there any prettier trout than a brookie? This is an old picture, I try not to take many pictures anymore as to get them back in the water as soon as possible.

dder
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by dder »

here,s a brook trout from BC, these fish were introduced to a high mountain lake by a mine operator that was near by in early 1900s near as I could find out. I took picture a few years ago in stream quite a few miles below the lake and up stream from where stream from lake joins river i was fishing in, in Sept and have fished many falls since in same area but never caught another so glad I took the picture or I would be doubting they were there myself . Proves they are survivors and wonder where they go in river system when not in that area. was shot underwater and never got tail in pic.They are a pretty fish for sure.

kevinhaney1
Master Guide

Post by kevinhaney1 »

I think the prettiest trout is the one that ended up in your net after a long day, saving you from being skunked.
Kevin Haney, Vintage Anglers
http://www.vintageanglers.com

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

For me it's wild Tigers.

twistedtippet
Guide

Post by twistedtippet »

:wave
------------------------------------------------------
Even the blind squirrel gets an occasional nut.

cdmoore
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by cdmoore »

Three way tie for me: brookie, golden, yamame

And I'm gonna throw in grayling just cuz.

bearbutt
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bearbutt »

quashnet wrote:
09/10/21 19:46
Beautiful fish, Quash.

Keep in mind that your i=phone metadata is attached to the image--giving not only a timestamp, but a placestamp--

so if you don't want people finding your secret spots, I'd suggest erasing this data before you post the image. Probably a good rule to follow in general.

Cheers,
bb

davemaine
Guide

Post by davemaine »

Years ago I caught some small, wild golden trout in the Sierra Nevada mountains. I'm from the land of native brook trout, but I don't think any fish has taken my breath away like those small stream-bred goldens.

quashnet
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by quashnet »

bearbutt wrote:
09/11/21 15:44
Beautiful fish, Quash.
Keep in mind that your i=phone metadata is attached to the image--giving not only a timestamp, but a placestamp--
Thank you for the insights. I've made the necessary changes in Settings, going forward. I should probably change my forum name to "Battenkill" while I'm at it.
Please visit and bookmark the Paul H. Young Rod Database
Other rod databases: Dickerson , Orvis , Powell

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bassman »

For fish in hand I'd have to go with the fall brookie. For fish I've only seen pictured I'd have to go with the golden trout and I'd love to catch a tiger trout. cdmoore, beauty is in the eye of the beholder but can't see grayling in the class of a trout. JMO though, since I've never held on of those live either.

mac7x
Master Guide

Post by mac7x »

Brookies are very pretty, but I once saw a brown that would rival the best of them. It was about 18' long, shading from medium olive on the back, thru yellow on the sides, to white on the belly. Only a few red and black quarter size spots, each with a distinct blue halo. Never saw another one like it. Sadly, no pictures, as it was probably around 50 years ago, but it made such an impression that I've never forgotten it.

Srock
Sport

Post by Srock »

I will second Mac7x. I put brookies first as the most beautiful trout. Hands down. Yet, I have caught and seen browns that can rival Brookie colors. Deep yellows with pretty red spots look great. I have never caught a tiger trout but of the pictures I have seen this would also be one of the prettiest trouts to see.

TimM
Master Guide

Post by TimM »

The trout you catch are like the girls who said 'yes' when you asked them to dance - all beautiful in their own way.

I've never taken a grayling photo that came close to the beauty of the fish in real life but I sure have to agree with the brook trout in fall colors!

tunafart
Master Guide

Post by tunafart »

Gotta put a vote in for the Cutthroat Trout
in all it's various finery. Here, from the Lamar in YNP.

flyrod
Guide

Post by flyrod »

Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts and photos of your "Prettiest Trout"! I guess it's an unfair question, as all trout are beautiful in their own special way! So I'll add a few more of my favorite "Pretty Trout", Northern Brook, Yellowstone Cutthroat, Bonneville Cutthroat, Colorado Cutthroat, and Snake River Fine Spotted Cutthroat.

Brooks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brooks »

There are prettier steelhead, but I’m partial to our Idaho Salmon River strain……which are struggling the last few years
Last edited by Brooks on 09/12/21 17:17, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”