Do you have a hack?

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Do you have a hack?

Post by Flykuni3 »

Ha, that damn gravity thing.

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jhuskey »

yep - and a bit of a bad neck in a couple of spots - get cortisone injections 2-3 times a year. Sucks gettin older, but hey.

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

Someday will have to look into Simms walkers.

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jhuskey »

:rollin

in codger camo so fly under the radar

Greg Reynolds
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Greg Reynolds »

Holdover wrote:
10/05/21 23:47
...If you cut your tippet diagonally it makes threading smaller flies or partially obstructed eyelets much, much easier...
I carry few dry flies in just a couple of patterns & sizes when fishing for small stream brook trout--Adams and light Cahill parachutes. A couple of months ago, I spent a frustrating half-hour attempting to tie on a fresh Cahill before giving up. Turns-out the new Cahills were tied on hooks with small eyes. I tried using them on several subsequent outings with similar results.

While fishing today, I tried cutting the tippet on a diagonal and tied one of the Cahills on with no trouble. Thank you. I'll forever refer to your hack as "The Holdover Technique"... :)

Dwight
Guide

Post by Dwight »

I love this thread..

Holdover
Guide

Post by Holdover »

[/quote]While fishing today, I tried cutting the tippet on a diagonal and tied one of the Cahills on with no trouble. Thank you. I'll forever refer to your hack as "The Holdover Technique"... :)[/quote]

I like the sound of that!! :D

Truth be told, I think I picked up this trick in another "hack" thread awhile back. Just glad someone gave it a try and that it made things easier for you. It's not fool proof but more often than not it makes those threading situations a whole lot less frustrating.

fishugo
Guide

Post by fishugo »

During those times when you can fish drys right into dark, try yellow protective shop glasses. They
enhance the fading light. They come with magnifying sections, and they protect your eyes after you have put your Polaroids away.

6weight

Post by 6weight »

Here's my fly tying hack. When tying Adams flies, I use only grizzly hackle. I take a brown Sharpie and thoroughly color the 1 piece of grizzly hackle at regular intervals. By doing this, the brown and the grizzly are both tied in, using only 1 piece of hackle. Makes tying
Adams flies so much easier. Believe me, the trout can't tell the difference.

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bassman »

This was something I ran across on a FB page. It was an idea being used for "muck boots" but should also work for waders with boot foot, maybe on the waders themselves but that's a ???. Guys have take their muck boots with a hole or rip punched in them and patched with a vulcanized rubber patch for inner tubes. You can get them in different sizes and shapes and it is something worth considering in some of our applications.

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

6, that Adams hack is sooo cheating, and genius.

16pmd
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 16pmd »

Maybe not exactly a hack, but Shoe In boot covers are extra-roomy rubber sandals that are designed to slip over wading boots, so if you forget your wallet, keys, license, etc. after you've put your waders on and need to go back inside the house, cabin, motel room, lodge you don't have to take your waders off and put them on again. Also good if you have studs or cleats on your boots and are going to fish from a driftboat and maybe get out to wade too. Guide or boat owner won't be mad because you're scratching or gouging the boat floor.

Around $35/pair and used to be sold by Orvis, but still available through some garden supply and other stores.

JoeBolt
Master Guide

Post by JoeBolt »

I'm going to try this heat shrink to preserve a vintage 2" tube I just picked up... It shouldn't do any harm, and maybe let me travel to camp with it.

Insultab 3030000C1A5 HS-105 3", 5' Clear Polyvinylchloride Heat Shrink Tubing https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003ICY2JC/re ... UTF8&psc=1

PhilR
Sport

Post by PhilR »

So you’re fishing in the rain and nature calls but you don’t want to take off your jacket. Unbuckle your wader straps, and clip them together in front. That way you can slide your waders down a bit, without the straps getting pulled off and down your back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ctwhite
Guide

Post by ctwhite »

A plastic grocery bag over each bare foot before inserting them into stocking foot waders. If at the end of a fishing day you've struggled to get your feet out of neoprene, you'll struggle no more...

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

16pmd wrote:
11/06/21 16:27
Maybe not exactly a hack, but Shoe In boot covers are extra-roomy rubber sandals that are designed to slip over wading boots, so if you forget your wallet, keys, license, etc. after you've put your waders on and need to go back inside the house, cabin, motel room, lodge you don't have to take your waders off and put them on again. Also good if you have studs or cleats on your boots and are going to fish from a driftboat and maybe get out to wade too. Guide or boat owner won't be mad because you're scratching or gouging the boat floor.

Around $35/pair and used to be sold by Orvis, but still available through some garden supply and other stores.
Your Sasquatch sandals made me laff.

theantiquematinee

Post by theantiquematinee »

This may have been shared before, but for bedraggled dry flies/ soft hackles/ spiders I put them in a mesh tea strainer over some hot steam with a few shakes and they come back to life good as new.

JoeBolt
Master Guide

Post by JoeBolt »

Time to bump this thread:
One day my wife's bra pads in the laundry room resulted in a defensive and weird conversation. Fast forward... I ordered my own bra pads from that shopping site, and now I have a hack for my Pflueger reels and spools (C/D holds up to a 1494-1/2 with a fresh Pfoot)! Six cups for $10, and a sewing machine. My wife is away right now chaperoning a high school band trip, with no drinking. She would be happy that I bought my own bra pads. I am stuck in the rod shop without her.

AlexP
Master Guide

Post by AlexP »

JoeBolt wrote:
03/12/22 21:18
Time to bump this thread:
One day my wife's bra pads in the laundry room resulted in a defensive and weird conversation. Fast forward... I ordered my own bra pads from that shopping site, and now I have a hack for my Pflueger reels and spools (C/D holds up to a 1494-1/2 with a fresh Pfoot)! Six cups for $10, and a sewing machine. My wife is away right now chaperoning a high school band trip, with no drinking. She would be happy that I bought my own bra pads. I am stuck in the rod shop without her.
This is one of the funniest posts I have seen in a long time. Great hack too!

JoeBolt
Master Guide

Post by JoeBolt »

Thank you, Alex.
I have many more blue collar hacks coming, and so I'm considering image-heavy photo essays instead.
Most of the things I do look like they've been done by an Angry Monkey.

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”