Automobile prices- Holy moly.

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

3creeks
Bamboo Fanatic

Automobile prices- Holy moly.

Post by 3creeks »

I had a warning light go off on Friday in my work truck during the drive home so I took it into the dealer on Monday to get it looked at. The diagnosis? Both cat converters need replacement to the tune of $10K. I kid you not. I told them no way give me the truck back and I planned to go buy a new truck that afternoon. I'd heard about a shortage of cars but I had no experience with it up to this point, and it is slim pickings out there. I finally found a new truck that was close enough and they told me that there was a $10K markup on it due to the chip shortage. So what was a $39K bare bones Toyota Tundra is now a $49K Tundra based on supply and demand. I got a second opinion on the price of cat converters and I can't believe that I'm typing these words but I'm thankful that I "only" have to spend $5K to get them replaced now.

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Automobile prices- Holy moly.

Post by bassman »

I live in an area without any checking of cars. If my Cat converter goes it gets replaced with a straight pipe. 150K on and F150 and so far no lights going off on anything. My wife bought a new Suburu before the crunch hit and my old truck keeps going and going and is not used much anymore anyway so I hope I don't have to deal with cars again for a few years. Glad you found a place to get your cats done and when they first were being installed they did give them a long warranty but should have been forever replacement if go bad. One of the hottest theft items is cat converters and at a local school in OK City they took the converters from a whole row of "short" school buses for special ed and handicap needs. I believe they got nine of them and only wish they'd have cut a hand off while cutting the cats out.

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

Some dealers are adding $30K to the sticker price of the mid-engine Corvette. And that is if they can get you one.

3creeks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 3creeks »

bassman wrote:
09/30/21 01:30
I live in an area without any checking of cars. If my Cat converter goes it gets replaced with a straight pipe. 150K on and F150 and so far no lights going off on anything. My wife bought a new Suburu before the crunch hit and my old truck keeps going and going and is not used much anymore anyway so I hope I don't have to deal with cars again for a few years. Glad you found a place to get your cats done and when they first were being installed they did give them a long warranty but should have been forever replacement if go bad. One of the hottest theft items is cat converters and at a local school in OK City they took the converters from a whole row of "short" school buses for special ed and handicap needs. I believe they got nine of them and only wish they'd have cut a hand off while cutting the cats out.
My neighbor had his cat converter stolen twice from his daughter's Prius in less than a year. I live in the big city so it's a major issue. California would never let me get away with NOT having one. Or in my case two. I had no idea my Titan had more than one converter so you learn something new every day I suppose.

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

Heck, you think that's bad, try to just rent a vehicle in Bozeman this year. Ready for this.....a Suburban for one week.....$6,000. Yup, no kidding, $6,000. Mostly due to the shortage if vehicles available. The funny thing is that people were actually agreeing to pay that much. Talk about getting ripped. Or, who would be foolish enough to spend that on a ride for one week? One has to be completely nutz to do that.

ffftroutbum
Master Guide

Post by ffftroutbum »

If you can hold out until next year, I have heard there is going to be a huge surplus of cars. Next may be the time to buy.

john8
Guide

Post by john8 »

I have had similar experience on the car buying front. I was looking for a new/used vehicle last year has settled on a Toyota Highlander and found basically the ballpark for a used 2 or 3 year old vehicle. I did not get one as I was just not using a vehicle that much so figured I would just wait. That ended up being the wrong decision same car today which is a year older and has more miles is 5k to 8k more expensive. There is the chip shortage impact things but I also think it is just inflation as well which is hitting everything hard. Food prices have gone up by large amounts as well as other basic items.
The catalytic converter are expensive items I have two of them in my Xterra and they will cost quite a bit to replace when the time comes. Have a colleague at work her son had his catalytic converters stolen from his car while he was parked at work during the day.

DrLogik
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by DrLogik »

I just dropped $6K on my wife's 2010 Suburban because I am just not going to pay a lot for a new car and it "only" has 134,000 miles. It got a factory re-manufactured transmission plus other work, "while we are at it".

We pay cash for our cars and I'll run the Suburban until the wheels fall off. My car is a 1971 Triumph TR-6 and she hit 50 years old this year!

New car? Hahaha...at these prices? No chance.

Bill T
Guide

Post by Bill T »

Mark when I was out in Ennis area folks were driving uhaul vans as rental vehicles because no cars available

GrsdLnr
Master Guide

Post by GrsdLnr »

3creeks, how old is your vehicle? Under federal law, the catalytic converter and engine-control module are covered for eight years or 80,000 miles.
In our family there was no clear line between psychotherapy and flyfishing...

GRASSNGLASS
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GRASSNGLASS »

If I lived in Bozeman I would drive people around for $4,000 a week. And meals included!!!

Of course gas would be extra.

Barry

3creeks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 3creeks »

GrsdLnr wrote:
09/30/21 11:41
3creeks, how old is your vehicle? Under federal law, the catalytic converter and engine-control module are covered for eight years or 80,000 miles.
It's a 2006 with 240K miles on it. I just made an appointment to get the cats replaced next week and the price will be 1/2 of the first quote. I really didn't want to buy a new car anyway so, while this is a bitter pill, I'd prefer not to get royally ripped off in the new car market right now. The Tundra is on my wish list and since they're going to a new powertrain I think it's wise to wait and see how it's working out. They might have bugs to fix and I'd rather buy when those are dealt with. This is also- hopefully- my last work truck purchase as I'll be 60 next year, and I can't see myself climbing ladders at 75+ years old which is about the lifespan I'm hoping to get from a new truck.

dublhaul
Sport

Post by dublhaul »

DrLogik wrote:
09/30/21 11:31
My car is a 1971 Triumph TR-6 and she hit 50 years old this year!
I was laughing so hard when I read this that I almost choked on the Rum Raisin ice cream I was eating. What is that old saying? "The best of British engineering . . . from World War II."

Wait, there was another one: "Lucas, the Prince of Darkness."

I had a 1964 MGB, that was well used when I got it, and required almost constant "fixing". One of the batteries fell through the holder, and was kept from hitting the ground by the battery cables. The fuel pump quit in the middle of no where. And the water pump gave out when I was almost directly at the midpoint of the 300+ mile drive from college to home, at Christmas. Both times, I gathered my fly rod (glass - - - I was on a college student budget), vest, etc. in a pack, and started walking home. Both times (once in NC, once in VA) friendly highway patrolmen stopped and gave me a ride to the nearest pay phone in a warm place.

After I started work, a co-worker bought a brand new TR-6. It was only slightly more reliable than my MGB. But it was nice looking!

Currently driving a 2015 Outback, and get at least one email a week from the dealer, asking to buy it back. Same as other places, they can't get new cars like they want.

barebo
Master Guide

Post by barebo »

Lucas electronics were no more reliable installed on Triumph motorcycles. I restored 2 of them and the Boyer ignition module and Solid State Rectifiers replaced the all too frequent "Lights Out"!! failing components cruising down a country road at night. The positive ground was a real treat as well. I miss those days !

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bassman »

PYochim wrote:
09/30/21 07:53
Some dealers are adding $30K to the sticker price of the mid-engine Corvette. And that is if they can get you one.
I was looking at some prices at one of the dealers still advertising lots of cars available on TV at huge markdowns. A year or two ago most of his vehicles had list price with a lint through them and depending on price and model an internet price 5-10K less. Not now. Most vehicles still using the old format had a line through list price with internet price either the same or higher and they had two in stock Corvettes listed at 70K+ with a line through the list and both were then listed at over $100K.

Not too many years ago Harley Davidson dealers were asking a couple thousand more than list or get on a waiting list. The bubble, whether it's housing, cars, trucks, motorcycles or boats always bursts and you just don't want to be one of the buy high because you had to have it guys who then get to see the market crash down on your "investment".

tabrods406
Guide

Post by tabrods406 »

barebo wrote:
09/30/21 20:29
Lucas electronics were no more reliable installed on Triumph motorcycles. I restored 2 of them and the Boyer ignition module and Solid State Rectifiers replaced the all too frequent "Lights Out"!! failing components cruising down a country road at night. The positive ground was a real treat as well. I miss those days !
I had a' 65 Sunbeam Alpine back in the day (remember Maxwell Smart in "Get Smart"?) that had a Lucas electrical system. Had to manually flick a switch to get the fuel pump to work - always a crap shoot. With Lucas electrical systems wipers didn't work in the rain, lights didn't work in the dark, you get my drift. My mechanic's fave joke - "Why do the British drink warm beer? Because Lucas makes refrigerators" :skoal .

Back to the main topic. Bought a 2020 Jeep Gladiator last year and current book value is $2000.00 over what I paid for it.

Tom
Last edited by tabrods406 on 10/01/21 10:15, edited 1 time in total.

PJ Julius
Sport

Post by PJ Julius »

Re: Lucas electronics.

I drove an MGB back in the day. "The Prince of Darkness", indeed.

Am now driving a 2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport which is now worth a lot more than I paid for it. Crazy.
Last edited by PJ Julius on 10/02/21 18:20, edited 1 time in total.

SalmoNewf
Guide

Post by SalmoNewf »

“ My car is a 1971 Triumph TR-6 and she hit 50 years old this year!”

Great choice! Here’s mine, also a 1971.

Bamboocollector#1
Master Guide

Post by Bamboocollector#1 »

Love the warm beer joke Tom!!!
Previously known as bamboocollector11

Mistermike
Sport

Post by Mistermike »

3creeks wrote:
09/30/21 15:18
GrsdLnr wrote:
09/30/21 11:41
It's a 2006 with 240K miles on it. I just made an appointment to get the cats replaced next week and the price will be 1/2 of the first quote. I really didn't want to buy a new car anyway so, while this is a bitter pill, I'd prefer not to get royally ripped off in the new car market right now. The Tundra is on my wish list and since they're going to a new powertrain I think it's wise to wait and see how it's working out. They might have bugs to fix and I'd rather buy when those are dealt with. This is also- hopefully- my last work truck purchase as I'll be 60 next year, and I can't see myself climbing ladders at 75+ years old which is about the lifespan I'm hoping to get from a new truck.
I recently had to replace a stolen cat on a honda element. There are quite a few non oem options. I went with a Walker brand exhaust from the header to tail pipe including the cat. So far no problems or codes. Probably the best cat is a stainless unit by Magnaflow. They also make California comlpiant cats if you need that.

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”