If you own a Filson Guide or Strap vest, you might want to try this!

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

DrLogik
Bamboo Fanatic

If you own a Filson Guide or Strap vest, you might want to try this!

Post by DrLogik »

I've owned a Filson strap vest for a number of years now. I bought mine before the foul weather model came out. Was kind of envious of folks that have the foul weather model.

I have done this to a few other articles of clothing and just now finished the same trick with my Strap vest. I gave it the "Bergman's Formula" treatment and man it worked great!!

I thinned my Mason jar of Bergman's to about half strength and painted the formula on one of the flaps as a trial. It dried in minutes and the texture was perfect. Just a little waxy but didn't look like waxed cotton. Painted the rest of the vest in about 10 minutes and sat it out in the hot sun to dry.

Brought it back in the house and it doesn't smell at all. It's not gummy-sticky like the foul weather model. It's a dry feel, almost not even waxy. Ran it under a faucet with water and sure enough, water just beaded right off. This won't provide any weather protection for me but it will probably keep my boxes dry and extend the life of the vest.

And yeah, it still looks new because I use my Richardson chest box most of the time. This is reserved for colder weather fishing.

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: If you own a Filson Guide or Strap vest, you might want to try this!

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

So, can your vest now be used as a life preserver or is their another Bergman's Formula floating (pun intended) around out there?

DrLogik
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by DrLogik »

I don't think I could use it as a life preserver but after I sink to the bottom it will float to the top and indicate my position!

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

Got a strap, will try this hack.

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, Thanks, great to know.

Jay Edwards

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by billems »

Is the Bergman formula the kerosene/paraffin mix used as a floatant?

DrLogik
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by DrLogik »

billems,

No, not kerosene! But yes, to float dry flies. Kerosene is too oily. White gas, aka Coleman fuel, naptha, lighter fluid are all about the same thing. I buy clear "VM&P" naptha in the hardware store to dissolve "Gulf Wax", aka 100% paraffin that you can buy in the canning section of the grocery store to make fly floatant.

Bergman's Formula comes from Ray Bergman's book, "Trout". In it he mentions a "concoction" he makes to dunk his dry fly in to make it float. And float it does. Better than any other floatant I have found. I did a casual test years ago and here are the results if you want to check it out: http://www.drlogik.com/flyfloatants.html

This stuff is easy to make and costs a hellofa lot less than store-bought floatants that don't work as well, in my opinion. I've been using this for many years.

I have found that this same principle works for bike chains also. I'm an avid cyclist and have been a melted wax fan for years as well; however, this stuff penetrates all of the links in a chain better than melted wax and chains last a really long time.

This stuff also works to disperse a very light amount of paraffin into anything that you want to waterproof. I've done this treatment to an old Filson wading jacket to renew the wax finish, as well as a couple of waxed cotton fishing hats and some canvas work gloves. I just today put an older Filson strap vest to the test and it worked great.

Your mileage may vary.

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by billems »

DrLogik wrote:
10/04/21 22:12
billems,

No, not kerosene! But yes, to float dry flies. Kerosene is too oily. White gas, aka Coleman fuel, naptha, lighter fluid are all about the same thing. I buy clear "VM&P" naptha in the hardware store to dissolve "Gulf Wax", aka 100% paraffin that you can buy in the canning section of the grocery store to make fly floatant.

Bergman's Formula comes from Ray Bergman's book, "Trout". In it he mentions a "concoction" he makes to dunk his dry fly in to make it float. And float it does. Better than any other floatant I have found. I did a casual test years ago and here are the results if you want to check it out: http://www.drlogik.com/flyfloatants.html

This stuff is easy to make and costs a hellofa lot less than store-bought floatants that don't work as well, in my opinion. I've been using this for many years.

I have found that this same principle works for bike chains also. I'm an avid cyclist and have been a melted wax fan for years as well; however, this stuff penetrates all of the links in a chain better than melted wax and chains last a really long time.

This stuff also works to disperse a very light amount of paraffin into anything that you want to waterproof. I've done this treatment to an old Filson wading jacket to renew the wax finish, as well as a couple of waxed cotton fishing hats and some canvas work gloves. I just today put an older Filson strap vest to the test and it worked great.

Your mileage may vary.
I'm going to make some. Thanks for clarifying the recipe.

Silver Doctor
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Silver Doctor »

Nice, this is something I will try on mine.

Varoooom7

Post by Varoooom7 »

If you want try a dry fly paste, without the mixing, try Albolene. It's marketed as a cleaning cream. At cooler temperature it's a paste, at 90 degrees it liquefies.
I fish dry flies almost exclusively, and it the best floatant I have ever used.
But I have never used it on my strap vest.

maruoff
Master Guide

Post by maruoff »

Very interesting!

I would be very cautious though about the solvent making the cotton brittle. Hope this is not the case over time :-).

joaniebo
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by joaniebo »

Varoooom7 wrote:
10/19/21 13:41
If you want try a dry fly paste, without the mixing, try Albolene. It's marketed as a cleaning cream. At cooler temperature it's a paste, at 90 degrees it liquefies.
Have been using Albolene for too many years to count and still have half a tub left. It's also good in cold weather for chapped hands, etc.

Bob

Shrimpman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Shrimpman »

I used to treat oilskin rain gear, chaps, and cowboy hats with Thompson's Water Seal, brushed on. It's paraffin in solvent.

Bugtussel
Guide

Post by Bugtussel »

Varoooom7 wrote:
10/19/21 13:41
Was curious if anyone else uses Albolene besides myself and couple others who introduced me to it in the late 80's. So searched here and found this thread. Interesting its so widely used. Guess my tub is "vintage" Albolene since it's from around 1989. I'm also from SWPA and began my fly fishing with folks from SHRR in South Hills.

Jim

Silver Doctor
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Silver Doctor »

I also use Albolene for dry flies, excellent floatant, refill my old bottles. will try a small patch on my Strap vest and see how it works.

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”