The 1940 Orvis Catalog

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

Greg Reynolds
Bamboo Fanatic

The 1940 Orvis Catalog

Post by Greg Reynolds »

This is the entire initial D. C. Corkran/Wes Jordan-era Orvis catalog. It was issued in 1940, mailed in 1941 with a supplement, and perhaps into early 1942 after the outbreak of WWII.

It's very scarce. While I'm sure there must be others, I'm only aware of three trading hands in the last 20 years. I believe it's the only Orvis catalog issued through 1945. Orvis catalogs from the 1950s and onwards are fairly obtainable, those from the 1940s really aren't--those of you that are interested in the company & rods might want to download this.

I recently found an article on The C. F. Orvis Company in Vermont Life magazine, Vol. 03 No. 3, 1949. Orvis was still using the illustration of Mary Orvis Marbury-trained Hallie Galaise tying flies on page 5 above.

I'll post scans from more catalogs as time allows.

rsagebrush
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: The 1940 Orvis Catalog

Post by rsagebrush »

Thanks, that is very cool!

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

Thanks Greg. Love those old Orvis catalogs

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

Thanks again Greg! Orvis rods were definitely lighter back then and I suspect that they had much finer tips. I know that those who own rods from the early 40s seem to really like them.

Cheers,
Joe

flyrod
Guide

Post by flyrod »

Thanks Greg for posting the 1940 Orvis catalog, I "love" the prices, $40 for a Rocky Mountain, I'll take two, make that three :pipe

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, Yes, and a couple Western leather cases at $10.00 too, please.

Jay Edwards

henkverhaar
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by henkverhaar »

Greg Reynolds wrote:
10/07/21 15:19
This is the entire initial D. C. Corkran/Wes Jordan-era Orvis catalog. It was issued in 1940, mailed in 1941 with a supplement, and perhaps into early 1942 after the outbreak of WWII.
Nitpickin' here, but I think it is generally accepted that WWII broke out in 1939 (invasion of Poland by Germany, followed by declaration of war by England and France). The US entered the war in December 1941, after the attack on Pearl Harbor.

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

A few items seem to jump off the page... the Glass Minnow trap... the cork ring fly holder... and the Equinox bamboo rod.
What a find Greg - thanks for letting us share this excitement.

That fly reel in the color photos looks like a MEEK - hmmm.... oh and I need 6 more rod sacks - 3 twill, 3 poplin - nice!
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Use the SEARCH for justification and reasoning.

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

I have a dozen or more Orvis catalogs myself. I've been thinking about filling out and sending in one of the order forms (I should time it for arrival on April 1st) to see if they would fulfill my order 😁

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”