Walnuts!

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Walnuts!

Post by billems »

I dry out my wading boots in the garage. Yesterday, I went fishing. But when I tried to put my foot in my wading boot, it wouldn't go in. I picked up the boot, looked inside, then turned it upside down. It was full of walnuts! We have bird feeders, but they mostly attract a pack of squirrels that live in our pine trees. They run rapine over our feeders. My beagle tries to keep patrol over them. He's come close, but never close enough. They outsmart him. And now they use my Chotas for storing walnuts. Sheesh.

DrLogik
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Walnuts!

Post by DrLogik »

Tabasco hot sauce. Drizzle some on the walnuts and leave them in your boots. Have a camera ready.

I did this to a squirrel that was eating through the wood soffits on my house years ago. Slathered the wood with Tabasco and waited. Dang funniest thing I ever watched a wild animal do. Started chewing, sat back and then ran around the yard and up a tree.

sanderson
Guide

Post by sanderson »

Funny! There was a story on the news last week, I believe in ND or Minn., a man left on vacation and when he returned he had some trouble with his pickup. Turned out squirrels had deposited 175 lbs. of black walnuts throughout the body, frame and under his hood.

RAZINGKANE
Guide

Post by RAZINGKANE »

Tabasco sauce was how I cured one of my Flat Coat Retriever puppies from chewing the woodwork in the kitchen. One lick was all it took and the smell did the rest. (disclaimer: No dogs were harmed in this exercise, in fact, it probably preserved her existence.)

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by billems »

DrLogik wrote:
10/09/21 22:41
Tabasco hot sauce. Drizzle some on the walnuts and leave them in your boots. Have a camera ready.

I did this to a squirrel that was eating through the wood soffits on my house years ago. Slathered the wood with Tabasco and waited. Dang funniest thing I ever watched a wild animal do. Started chewing, sat back and then ran around the yard and up a tree.
There's the solution!

NshTrtBum
Sport

Post by NshTrtBum »

It could have been worse my coworker had squirrels chew the transmission wiring off his Honda. The problem was solved, but his neighbors likely thought he was shooting space ships for a week. :lol

rhmill01
Sport

Post by rhmill01 »

Don’t let squirrels under the hood of your car. They wrecked the wiring, cost $4200 to replace.

barebo
Master Guide

Post by barebo »

I took my pack boots out of the back closet this spring and they were full of the decorative Indian Corn my wife hung on the porch as fall decor.
Funny thing is we've never had a mouse in the house. At least we now know where it went - the cobs went bare inside of a week and we blamed the squirrels.

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bassman »

Squirrels and Chipmunks are nothing but rats in disguise. Hate them things except for their tails for tying. I've had them chew up and ruin things up north and it was a three pronged approach. Mice, squirrels, chipmunks all got in their licks on ruining things left in the shed or yard. I love to watch the squirrel launchers people set up for them since I have no sympathy for them at all.

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”