Diamond Lake Oregon

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

mlarocco
Master Guide

Diamond Lake Oregon

Post by mlarocco »

Recently traveled to Reno NV and stopped at Diamond Lake in the Oregon Cascades. Mornings were chilly (< 30 degrees) in late September.

The lake is shall9ow around the edges. During the summer, there is also allot of weed growth in the shallows. To fish it effectively a boat is required. There is a small resort on the lake that will rent aluminum boats for the day. By the time I fished it, much of the weed growth had dies off.

I found a dock that gave me access to deeper water. I used a Thomas & Thomas Montana lined with a 6wt floating line. While I did catch some rainbows, I probably would have done better renting a boat. Some of the gear fishermen were reporting catching Tiger trout up to 24" and I heard of one 22: brown trout.

Normally, I do not like taking fish out of the water but was fearful of dropping my phone off the dock so hosited one onto the deck (8 lb flouro leader)

As I said, there is a small resort on the lake that rents rooms. It is about 10 miles from Crater Lake National Park for anybody on a family trip. Lots of potential, but I was disappointed nit catching a tiger. Reason to go back....

Boo
Master Guide

Re: Diamond Lake Oregon

Post by Boo »

Use to fly fish Diamond Lake in the summer and xc ski there in winter. Hiked up to the top of Mt. Thielson (in your photo) a few times. Beautiful place!

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bassman »

Beautiful setting to enjoy your fishing. Like you I'd like to catch a tiger trout of size I was sure of ID. Years ago I fished a stream in northern WI with both brookies and browns and caught a couple of fish I wondered if they were some sort of crossover but knew nothing of tigers back then. Now I do and the bigger ones are beautiful fish.

mlarocco
Master Guide

Post by mlarocco »

I'd like to catch a tiger trout

From what I understand, ODFW introduced the Tigers (and browns) into Diamond to control the Chubs. They are catch and release only. Washington state just established a new state record (24.5 lbs), they can get quite large. Like you, my only exposure to Tiger trout was on a river in central Mass that supported both Browns and Brookies. I caught an 8" fish that somebody identified as a Brown/Brookie cross. I had visions of a Chihuahua and a German Shepard cuddling up :eek

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”