<()))>< Cataracts and Sunglasses?

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

After several years of wearing prescription sunglasses ( 8) ) to fish I now have to have cataract surgery. The good news is that the surgeon tells me that I won't need prescription distance glasses afterword. So.... since it's been many years since I purchased regular nonprescription sunglasses what are you folks wearing on the water today. What are the absolute best glare shattering non-prescription sunglasses out there? Inquiring minds want to know. Thank you in advance.
Mark

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: <()))>< Cataracts and Sunglasses?

Post by ibookje »

You mean brands or color of the lenses?

Most like amber coloured lenses but I like pinkish coloured lenses for amazing contrast.
I prefer plastic lenses for their lightness.
Brands is so subjective. Also models aren't exclusive for one brand so most brands have all the models you usually see on the water.

archer829
Guide

Post by archer829 »

I am an optometrist, and I work with pre- and post-cataract surgery patients almost every day.

I'm assuming that you are having a standard, monofocal, paid by Medicare/insurance implant put in each eye at surgery. If not, and if you are paying extra to have multifocal implants, you can ignore what comes next.

Anyway, if you have the "regular" implants and have decent distance vision without glasses after surgery, you will almost certainly need some form of reading glasses, either Rx or over-the-counter readers, for most near tasks--including tying on flies. If you get non-prescription sunglasses, you will probably be frustrated by the frequent switching back and forth between sunglasses and readers. The fix would be a prescription pair of bifocal sunglasses. The top part will most likely have little to no distance correction, but this will allow you to fish and tie on flies with the same pair of glasses.

In either case, whether you go with non-Rx sunglasses or prescription bifocal sunglasses, I would strongly recommend polarized lenses so you have maximum visibility into the water. Tint is mostly a matter of personal preference, but dark gray blocks more light and keeps colors more natural, while brown/ambers make things "pop" more but don't block as much light and can change your perception of some colors.

Hope this helps!

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

Archer829,
Thank you. I am only having the surgery to my right eye as the left, my dominate eye, is fine for distance. I'm having "Astigmatism Reducing IOL". All of it is out of pocket as I'm not to Medicare just yet. :) I could wait until then but I have a year to go and I'm tired of having my depth perception off while casting and having to turn my head when addressing a golf ball. I kinda look like a Robin peering down to find the worm. :) Years ago I used polarized sun glasses and I preferred the brownish tint. Maui Jim worked for me then. I'm just curious what is best today.
Last edited by Hellmtflies on 10/18/21 20:49, edited 1 time in total.

sanderson
Guide

Post by sanderson »

I've used bifocal, polarized sunglasses for years, they are convenient, primarily in a boat/tube. My biggest issue is when I'm walking streams, stairs etc. and vision sometimes catches the bifocal vs. the regular lense and confuses my depth perception. Could be I'm just clumsy, but it can be bothersome. Had both eyes done 2 years ago.

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

I have cataracts in both eyes that are symptomatic but the eye doctor said they are not bad enough for Medicare to pay for the procedures. Typical bureaucratic crap.

PT48
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PT48 »

Alas, Mark, welcome to the club. After I had my cataract surgery in 2019, I found great comfort in wearing good sunglasses outdoors nearly all of the time. This year, unfortunately, I have experienced haemorrhaging on my left retina, a nasty condition which has led to me even wearing my sunglasses indoors where there are bright lights. I swear by Maui Jim sunglasses for everyday use. For fishing, I wear an Australian brand called Spotters. Also for fishing, I carry an old pair of reading glasses to tie knots and change flies. They do just fine (it is all a matter of getting the right focal length). My cataract surgery left me with good long vision but with a continued dependence on reading glasses. Good luck with it all, you will be fine.

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

PT48 wrote:
10/18/21 18:01
Alas, Mark, welcome to the club. After I had my cataract surgery in 2019, I found great comfort in wearing good sunglasses outdoors nearly all of the time. This year, unfortunately, I have experienced haemorrhaging on my left retina, a nasty condition which has led to me even wearing my sunglasses indoors where there are bright lights. I swear by Maui Jim sunglasses for everyday use. For fishing, I wear an Australian brand called Spotters. Also for fishing, I carry an old pair of reading glasses to tie knots and change flies. They do just fine (it is all a matter of getting the right focal length). My cataract surgery left me with good long vision but with a continued dependence on reading glasses. Good luck with it all, you will be fine.
Thanx! That all sounds about right.

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

ibookje wrote:
10/18/21 11:41
You mean brands or color of the lenses?

Most like amber coloured lenses but I like pinkish coloured lenses for amazing contrast.
I prefer plastic lenses for their lightness.
Brands is so subjective. Also models aren't exclusive for one brand so most brands have all the models you usually see on the water.
Both, color and makers/brands.

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

I have a Japanese Tiemco sunglasses (model: Wedge) with pinkish glass lenses and a Maui Jim with plastic pinkish lenses. Both polarized.

https://www.tiemco.co.jp/eng/groups/ind ... :15/page:2

lestrout1
Guide

Post by lestrout1 »

Yo Mark - good luck with that (those?). As to brands, I was an early adopter of Action Optics, now Smiths. A year ago, I became entranced by the Chromapop concept, which is similar to the 580 (or some such) nanometer marketed by another big brand - maybe the Mauis. With some impact on color perception, my Chromapops do increase contrast on Eastern trout streams. To address the reading glasses, I'm not a big fan of Cliks. They hang unobtrusively around my neck and can be adjusted with one hand - the magnet attachment is ingenious.

tl
les

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

Thanx guys.

crowebeetle
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by crowebeetle »

I had both my eyes done this summer and early fall and got astigmatism corrected by laser at the same time. Glad I did it - night vision is better only need readers very close up, great to pick out sunglasses without a prescription. Whites are very white too. Haven't been fishing yet but will soon.

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

crowebeetle wrote:
10/19/21 18:54
I had both my eyes done this summer and early fall and got astigmatism corrected by laser at the same time. Glad I did it - night vision is better only need readers very close up, great to pick out sunglasses without a prescription. Whites are very white too. Haven't been fishing yet but will soon.
Thanx Crowbeetle,
That is exactly what my surgeon has stated that will happen to me. I'm apprehensive about this but also looking forward to getting it done.

I thank everyone who has offered information here and via Pm. Thank you.
Mark

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

Nothing irritates me more than those who wear the reading glasses on the tip of their nose like Sen. Chuckie Schumer does.

crowebeetle
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by crowebeetle »

Hellmtflies wrote:
10/20/21 08:04
crowebeetle wrote:
10/19/21 18:54
Thanx Crowbeetle,
That is exactly what my surgeon has stated that will happen to me. I'm apprehensive about this but also looking forward to getting it done.

I thank everyone who has offered information here and via Pm. Thank you.
Mark
The process took about 10-15 minutes (the time period between eyes for me was a month). It was virtually pain-free. The uncomfortable part was getting set up for the laser, if you are not having laser to correct astigmatism, there was little discomfort. They titrate the drug to keep you in that zone of being slightly alert and barely out. During recovery there are frequent eye drops 3-4 times a day, antibiotics, steroids, and an anti-inflammatory. These are done up to 4 weeks post and are very important to follow the directions. I also did antibiotic eye drops before the surgery too. While waiting the nurses set up the IV and do eye drops with antibiotics and anesthetics. Knowing what they do reduces the anxiety of having a procedure.

lestrout1
Guide

Post by lestrout1 »

Correction:: re "To address the reading glasses, I'm not a big fan of Cliks. They hang unobtrusively around my neck and can be adjusted with one hand - the magnet attachment is ingenious." - I AM in fact a big fan of Cliks.

tl
les

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

PYochim wrote:
10/20/21 09:53
Nothing irritates me more than those who wear the reading glasses on the tip of their nose like Sen. Chuckie Schumer does.
Well..........I guess I'll be irritating you. Also, remember, politics will negate this thread.
Last edited by Hellmtflies on 10/22/21 07:35, edited 2 times in total.

Drossi
Master Guide

Post by Drossi »

Hellmtflies wrote:
10/18/21 13:18
Years ago I used polarized sun glasses and I preferred the brownish tint. Maui Jim worked for me then. I'm just curious what is best today.
Still can't go wrong with Maui Jim's. On my 2nd pair in the last 25 years (and that's only cause I didn't know about their replacement policy when I dropped the 1st pair off the tailgate and broke em in half).

troutnut
Master Guide

Post by troutnut »

I just found today I'm having cataracts removed. I just don't know when yet and I don't know to expect. I think I'm going be far sited again with bifocals for tying flies and attaching to the leader. We only talked a little about today until the next visit. Waiting for them to call and set up next appointment.
Fred

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”