COVID BOOSTERS

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: COVID BOOSTERS

Post by bassman »

So I'm bringing this thread back since I just got both my Mederna Booster and Mega-Flu shot. I hate going into Walmart for my shots and two days ago I took the envelopes for the Secret Santa Swap I run to the PO. We have a flashing sign at our one stop sign on Main Street in town and sure enough they were giving shots at the local school the next day. Went in yesterday and I got both shots and wife just got booster since she refused flu shot. Today I would compare this to the original shots in late winter. Sore at injection site that afternoon only on Moderna. Next day arm was kind of sore and flu injection site was a little sore. Very dragged out during day but pretty much came out of it late today. I'm 77 with COPD and on oxygen regular but couldn't get full dose shot, only booster. Can't get the full dose unless you're in worse shape than me, like cancer recovery or organ transplant.

By the way, for those who joined in our fly swap here's the pics of gifts wrapped and ready to send. Wish more of you would have gotten in.

And what I dropped on the Post Mistress's desk. An hour later fitting several people with one envelope or package in we got 'em all out.

GerardH
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GerardH »

Wish I could tie well enough to participate in the fly swap...I'm doing everyone a favor by abstaining.

Got my Moderna booster last Tuesday, even with a half dose the reaction was predictable but more immediate than the original doses from last spring: I was feeling uncomfortable overnight, woke up with chills and body aches, temp peaked at 101.7 by late afternoon and had a pretty good headache going. Fever broke Wednesday night and had a pretty good turkey day.

Judging by the fact this virus is mutating into new variants as rapidly as it is, looks like these boosters are going to be a routine thing for me.

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bassman »

GerardH, if life treats us well you get in that swap next year. Neither my wife nor I have had an increase in temps from shot. I think you are right about this becoming like a fly shot. They'll develop boosters specific to each mutation of the virus. Until the world's population is vaccinated or gets sick and creates anti-bodies this will be with us for a long time. I live in an area of the country where refusal to vaccinate is like an honor badge to be worn proudly. Having just had 5 family members in town end up with virus (non-vaxxed) maybe some of the resistance will drop off now. A second wave has just swept through our small town.

Salar4me
Guide

Post by Salar4me »

J&J back in March followed up this week by the Moderna booster. Gal who administered the shot told me to move the arm as much as possible for the remainder of the day. Think this helped significantly reduce pain the following days.

Heddon20
Guide

Post by Heddon20 »

bassman wrote:
12/02/21 14:48
GerardH, if life treats us well you get in that swap next year. Neither my wife nor I have had an increase in temps from shot. I think you are right about this becoming like a fly shot. They'll develop boosters specific to each mutation of the virus. Until the world's population is vaccinated or gets sick and creates anti-bodies this will be with us for a long time. I live in an area of the country where refusal to vaccinate is like an honor badge to be worn proudly. Having just had 5 family members in town end up with virus (non-vaxxed) maybe some of the resistance will drop off now. A second wave has just swept through our small town.
It's that way here, too. Only about 45% of population here is fully vaccinated.

It does seem like this will become like an annual flu shot. Both Moderna and PFizer are working on developing a booster to deal with the Omicron variant. If they're needed, they should have them available by March or early April.

I got my 2nd shingles shot on Mon. My reaction to it was identical to the Moderna vaccine. About 27 hours after the shot I had a fever, body aches, slight chills, etc. Took some Ibuprofen before I went to bed and woke the next morning and was fine.
Brian

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

Got mine last week. I had the sniffles and felt a little low for a day. The flu shot was worse.

samsonboi
Master Guide

Post by samsonboi »

bassman wrote:
12/01/21 21:06
So I'm bringing this thread back since I just got both my Mederna Booster and Mega-Flu shot. I hate going into Walmart for my shots and two days ago I took the envelopes for the Secret Santa Swap I run to the PO. We have a flashing sign at our one stop sign on Main Street in town and sure enough they were giving shots at the local school the next day. Went in yesterday and I got both shots and wife just got booster since she refused flu shot. Today I would compare this to the original shots in late winter. Sore at injection site that afternoon only on Moderna. Next day arm was kind of sore and flu injection site was a little sore. Very dragged out during day but pretty much came out of it late today. I'm 77 with COPD and on oxygen regular but couldn't get full dose shot, only booster. Can't get the full dose unless you're in worse shape than me, like cancer recovery or organ transplant.

By the way, for those who joined in our fly swap here's the pics of gifts wrapped and ready to send. Wish more of you would have gotten in.

And what I dropped on the Post Mistress's desk. An hour later fitting several people with one envelope or package in we got 'em all out.
Damn, I forgot to get in on this year’s Xmas fly swap :-[
"Car ce n'est pas assez d'avoir l'esprit bon, mais le principal est de l'appliquer bien.”- Descartes

jeffkn1
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jeffkn1 »

Received COVID booster and my annual flu shot Wednesday. As with Moderna shots before, flu symptoms for about 12 hours yesterday. OK today. I reinjured my right knee recently and it was especially painful during that time, being only tricky today.

GerardH
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GerardH »

Heddon20 wrote:
12/02/21 23:19

I got my 2nd shingles shot on Mon. My reaction to it was identical to the Moderna vaccine. About 27 hours after the shot I had a fever, body aches, slight chills, etc. Took some Ibuprofen before I went to bed and woke the next morning and was fine.
Ditto...I think I described my reaction to the Shingrix series earlier in this thread, but my reaction to the first shot was very similar to the Moderna -- headache, body aches, fever, etc. I took ibuprofen before I got my second Shingrix shot and I'm now second guessing myself if that was smart because the jury's out whether that tamps down the body's immunity response. Hopefully I didn't boot that one away....I went mono e mono with all three of my Moderna shots because I'm taking no chances.

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

GerardH wrote:
12/03/21 12:27
I took ibuprofen before I got my second Shingrix shot and I'm now second guessing myself if that was smart because the jury's out whether that tamps down the body's immunity response.
Did you ever think of consulting with your physician? That seems to be a novel idea these days. Plenty of misinformation and suppositions to go around.

pescaconDios
Sport

Post by pescaconDios »

PYochim wrote:
12/04/21 10:07
GerardH wrote:
I took ibuprofen before I got my second Shingrix shot and I'm now second guessing myself if that was smart because the jury's out whether that tamps down the body's immunity response.
Did you ever think of consulting with your physician? That seems to be a novel idea these days. Plenty of misinformation and suppositions to go around.
Dr. Yochim has a good idea here. It seems that everyone is an expert these days or considers the opinion of non-experts to be of more value than the true experts. Weird world we are living in.

Heddon20
Guide

Post by Heddon20 »

GerardH wrote:
Heddon20 wrote:
12/02/21 23:19

Ditto...I think I described my reaction to the Shingrix series earlier in this thread, but my reaction to the first shot was very similar to the Moderna -- headache, body aches, fever, etc. I took ibuprofen before I got my second Shingrix shot and I'm now second guessing myself if that was smart because the jury's out whether that tamps down the body's immunity response. Hopefully I didn't boot that one away....I went mono e mono with all three of my Moderna shots because I'm taking no chances.
I went mono e mono with them, too for that very reason.

Glad I got the Shingrix series out of the way. Wanted to get that done before the holidays so it worked out fine.

Our family of 4 is almost fully vaccinated now :)

My wife and I got our boosters in Oct, and our 14yr old son was fully vaccinated in mid July. His younger brother (11) got his 1st covid shot just over 2 weeks ago, and he'll be getting his 2nd shot this coming Thurs. Can't wait! It will be a HUGE relief when he gets his 2nd shot and will be just 2 weeks away from being fully protected! Of course, since he's only partially vaccinated we're not taking any chances right now. We we're planning on going to a Christmas potluck dinner party tonight but decided not to go for that reason.

On the 23rd he'll be fully protected and then we can start having some semblance of a normal life :)
Brian

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bassman »

Heddon20 wrote:
12/04/21 19:50
On the 23rd he'll be fully protected and then we can start having some semblance of a normal life :)
I wish that were true. It may or may not give protection to the new variants but what it does seem to do well is keep any cases of virus to a minimum the body is able to handle without ICU and ventilators. Along with those family members unvaxxed who spent a week in quarantine and one several days in hospital we also had our pastor who was vaxxed and boostered test positive. His symptoms were mild but there and if he had not gotten the vaccinations he well could have had a tough time with it.

pescaconDios
Sport

Post by pescaconDios »

Heddon20 wrote:

Glad I got the Shingrix series out of the way. Wanted to get that done before the holidays so it worked out fine.

My wife and I got our boosters in Oct, and our 14yr old son was fully vaccinated in mid July. His younger brother (11) got his 1st covid shot just over 2 weeks ago, and he'll be getting his 2nd shot this coming Thurs. Can't wait! It will be a HUGE relief when he gets his 2nd shot and will be just 2 weeks away from being fully protected! Of course, since he's only partially vaccinated we're not taking any chances right now. We we're planning on going to a Christmas potluck dinner party tonight but decided not to go for that reason.

Our family is in the same boat as far as timeframe. My wife and I have had our boosters, and our two eldest received their 2nd shots yesterday.

Our youngest turned 5 on Nov. 19 and got the 1st shot that day for a birthday present - you are welcome, dear! She will get the 2nd shot next Friday, so should have full immunity by Christmas Eve - nice Christmas gift!

Will be nice to ease the family restrictions a little bit, although we will still be pretty careful - hopefully omicron turns out to be a relative dud.

We (worldwide) are likely going to be dealing with this coronavirus for years to come, so we might as well stay up-to-date on boosters, wear masks when around unvaccinated people, but start to live a little bit more of a normal life. After having our young family on 20+ months of restrictions, including no music lessons, in-person school, etc., we are ready to creep back in to some "normal" activities, within reason.

Heddon20
Guide

Post by Heddon20 »

pescaconDios wrote:
12/04/21 20:34
Heddon20 wrote:

Our family is in the same boat as far as timeframe. My wife and I have had our boosters, and our two eldest received their 2nd shots yesterday.

Our youngest turned 5 on Nov. 19 and got the 1st shot that day for a birthday present - you are welcome, dear! She will get the 2nd shot next Friday, so should have full immunity by Christmas Eve - nice Christmas gift!

Will be nice to ease the family restrictions a little bit, although we will still be pretty careful - hopefully omicron turns out to be a relative dud.

We (worldwide) are likely going to be dealing with this coronavirus for years to come, so we might as well stay up-to-date on boosters, wear masks when around unvaccinated people, but start to live a little bit more of a normal life. After having our young family on 20+ months of restrictions, including no music lessons, in-person school, etc., we are ready to creep back in to some "normal" activities, within reason.
Glad your daughter will have full immunity at same time our 11 yr old will! I'm hoping that PFizer will ask the FDA to approve the booster shot for the 12-15 age group later this month since those kids are hitting the 6 month mark now. Our 14yr old will hit the 6 month mark in mid Jan so he still has some time.

Agree. It will be nice to ease family restrictions a bit. We'll still be wearing masks, etc. The timing for getting our 11yr old fully vaccinated worked out pretty well. I was hoping when the vaccine was approved for the 5-11 age group, that I would be able to get him fully protected before he returned to school after winter break, so the timing worked out great.
Brian

GerardH
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GerardH »

PYochim wrote:
12/04/21 10:07
GerardH wrote:
At what point was I supposed to consult with my physician? Before I took the ibuprofen or before I posted here? What I'm citing were published concerns about taking ibuprofen for side effects to the Covid vaccinations several months after I had my second Shingrix shot. I wasn't exactly pulling this from WebMD or consulting with Joe Rogan.

And good luck trying to get hold of your GP during the height to the pandemic -- either they were overwhelmed with Covid patients or clinics were cutting staff because everyone was staying away.
pescaconDios wrote:
12/04/21 16:32

Dr. Yochim has a good idea here. It seems that everyone is an expert these days or considers the opinion of non-experts to be of more value than the true experts. Weird world we are living in.
I'm not even sure how to respond to this inane comment since you have absolutely no clue of my circumstances...other than yeah, I do consult with medical professionals whenever possible if there's justifiable concern. Question for you: Do you call your doctor every time you run a low grade fever or have a headache? Not a rhetorical question. And with a high deductible insurance policy, it's getting to the point that you hesitate having your doctor look at a mole during a physical for fear it's going to be coded as whatever and you get nicked with a $300 charge.
Last edited by GerardH on 12/05/21 15:38, edited 1 time in total.

mlarocco
Master Guide

Post by mlarocco »

Just returned from a multiple week stay in Mexico (PV). Passed the rapid test 48 hours prior to departure. Taking the test 48 hours in advance gave me the chance to try one more time just in case I had a false positive result. Nurse indicated it would be a 50 day stay in country if I was positive.\

Airlines checked vaccine card as well as test results. Not knowing how well vaccines protect against the latest variant I'd avoid international travel unless one can afford an unexpected long layover

tomimc1
Sport

Post by tomimc1 »

We got boosted day before Thanksgiving, Moderna round back in April, then the half dose booster. I'm 51, she's 46, both active, decent health...she got hammered by the booster unlike her relatively mild ride thru the first two rounds where we both had chills and headaches, me more so. She endured a 3hr bout of flu symptoms in the middle of the night followed by old injury aches as others described and then we both had the chills, I had a similar intense headache similar to my second shot. We slept in until noon-ish, just plain fatigued all day, puttered around the house...hung a string of lights, fixed a door knob, handful of low hanging fruit type chores. Then we were out raking leaves and back at it Friday after a serious 48hr spell of laying low. Now we're set up nicely for some quick holiday visits while our booster effectiveness peaks out and then we'll probably go back into hibernation like last year; see our friends out on the trails or evening walks around town and avoid the indoor settings while these mutant waves wash on over us...

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”