COVID BOOSTERS

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: COVID BOOSTERS

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, " add some humor as done with the colonoscopy crack."

Ha! He said Colonoscopy crack! I get it!

Jay Edwards

Bill Terry
Guide

Post by Bill Terry »

Drossi wrote:
10/26/21 10:16

Yeah but the "nap" is awesome!
I am a private pilot (inactive for the past few years because of disqualifying medical issues). Once I was planning to fly somewhere the day after a colonoscopy. I asked my GI doc if it was unwise to fly the day after the anesthesia. He said it was, so I should cancel either the procedure or the trip or have the procedure without anesthesia. I chose the latter.

The “nap” is greatly to be preferred.
Ad piscatoribus sunt omnes res secundi.

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

Bill Terry wrote:
10/26/21 20:25
I am a private pilot (inactive for the past few years because of disqualifying medical issues). Once I was planning to fly somewhere the day after a colonoscopy. I asked my GI doc if it was unwise to fly the day after the anesthesia. He said it was, so I should cancel either the procedure or the trip or have the procedure without anesthesia. I chose the latter.

The “nap” is greatly to be preferred.
Actually you would have been fine resuming normal activities 24 hours after receiving sedation. Probably even sooner but 24 hours is on the side of caution.

Heddon20
Guide

Post by Heddon20 »

GerardH wrote:
10/26/21 14:25
Heddon20 wrote:
10/25/21 21:27
GerardH wrote:
10/24/21 16:34
bassman wrote:
10/24/21 10:47
The "on again, off again" from CDC has messed up me getting mine but now I should finally get in and get stuck with Booster, Superflu, and this year I'll get the Shingles too.
Got my Shingrix dosages last year and like my Moderna series, I had rather robust immune responses (102 fever, body aches, headache, etc.) for about 12 hours. I've learned to time these things for Thursday/Friday so I don't mess up my workweek.
I got Shingrix shot #1 in mid August, and just had real sore arm near injection site for a couple days and that was it. I wanted to wait and schedule the 2nd shot after I got the flu vaccine and Moderna booster. I got the flu shot beginning of this month and Moderna booster today, so will schedule Shingrix shot #2 for around end of next month after Thanksgiving.
I received my first Shingrix dose last fall along with my flu shot...when I got the second dose in January, I popped some Advil and didn't have as strong of a reaction...in hindsight I wonder if that was the smart thing to do since there has been some debate about whether ibuprofen/acetaminophen interfere with the body's immune response. Guess the jury's out on that...
With the moderna shots, the reaction for me doesn't start until 27 hrs after the shot. This has been like clockwork. I got my booster yesterday right before noon, and wouldn't you know it, at about 3pm I started feeling fatigued and a little achy. Still feeling that way now.

I'll probably take some ibuprofen before bed.

The good news is:

1) The booster is working.
2) The side effects are temporary and I should be fine later tomorrow.
Brian

GerardH
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GerardH »

Heddon20 wrote:
10/26/21 23:20
GerardH wrote:
Heddon20 wrote:
GerardH wrote:
bassman wrote:
The "on again, off again" from CDC has messed up me getting mine but now I should finally get in and get stuck with Booster, Superflu, and this year I'll get the Shingles too.
Got my Shingrix dosages last year and like my Moderna series, I had rather robust immune responses (102 fever, body aches, headache, etc.) for about 12 hours. I've learned to time these things for Thursday/Friday so I don't mess up my workweek.
I got Shingrix shot #1 in mid August, and just had real sore arm near injection site for a couple days and that was it. I wanted to wait and schedule the 2nd shot after I got the flu vaccine and Moderna booster. I got the flu shot beginning of this month and Moderna booster today, so will schedule Shingrix shot #2 for around end of next month after Thanksgiving.
I received my first Shingrix dose last fall along with my flu shot...when I got the second dose in January, I popped some Advil and didn't have as strong of a reaction...in hindsight I wonder if that was the smart thing to do since there has been some debate about whether ibuprofen/acetaminophen interfere with the body's immune response. Guess the jury's out on that...
With the moderna shots, the reaction for me doesn't start until 27 hrs after the shot. This has been like clockwork. I got my booster yesterday right before noon, and wouldn't you know it, at about 3pm I started feeling fatigued and a little achy. Still feeling that way now.

The good news is:

That is similar to my experience -- I received both shots on a Thursday afternoon and by Friday evening I was feeling the effects, which lasted something like 12 hours or so before they subsided.

My understanding is that the Moderna had a bigger dosage than Pfizer for the initial 2-shot series, which is why 1) a higher percentage of recipients experiencing reactions after the initial shots (~10% for Moderna vs ~3% for Pfizer) and 2) it's proving to provide more effective protection against the delta variant. I think the Moderna booster is a half-dose, so it'll be interesting what kind of response I'll have when I get it.

Hope it goes well for you.

wrong66
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wrong66 »

bassman wrote:
10/26/21 14:14
jimwright wrote:
10/25/21 19:04
Color me naive but I didn't realize there was anything political about getting a booster shot. And more it has never occurred to me that discussing the economy had to be a "politically loaded discussion"!
Only if it goes into a finger pointing discussion about whether to shot it up or not will I kill this thread. Enough of that on FB if you want it. Sharing our info on how our boosters went is fine but let's keep it at that or add some humor as done with the colonoscopy crack.

Nick
I liked the colonoscopy "crack" reference, Nick.

Heddon20
Guide

Post by Heddon20 »

GerardH wrote:
10/27/21 08:27
Heddon20 wrote:
10/26/21 23:20
GerardH wrote:
Heddon20 wrote:
GerardH wrote:
bassman wrote:

The good news is:

That is similar to my experience -- I received both shots on a Thursday afternoon and by Friday evening I was feeling the effects, which lasted something like 12 hours or so before they subsided.

My understanding is that the Moderna had a bigger dosage than Pfizer for the initial 2-shot series, which is why 1) a higher percentage of recipients experiencing reactions after the initial shots (~10% for Moderna vs ~3% for Pfizer) and 2) it's proving to provide more effective protection against the delta variant. I think the Moderna booster is a half-dose, so it'll be interesting what kind of response I'll have when I get it.

Hope it goes well for you.
That's correct. The Moderna booster is a half dose. I think they did that to reduce the reactions that some recipients were experiencing.

My reaction lasted about 12 hrs. I was fine when I got up this AM.

Hopefully your response will be less than when you got the 1st 2 shots.
Brian

roycestearns
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by roycestearns »

Pertains to Bamboo how?

GRASSNGLASS
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GRASSNGLASS »

Pertains to Bamboo how?

Bamboo comes from China, you do the math.

Titelines
Administrator

Post by Titelines »

GRASSNGLASS wrote:
10/28/21 03:13
Pertains to Bamboo how?

Bamboo comes from China, you do the math.
The boosters come from China?

GRASSNGLASS
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GRASSNGLASS »

Mark,

No, the virus does.

Just a stupid response to what I thought was a similar question. If he didn't like people talking about boosters he really didn't have to look.

I only started this thread to give fellow members a heads up to the fact boosters were available and get in line if they were waiting to get one. Personally I have been waiting months for the boosters to become available and I thought possibly others were in the same boat. Didn't try starting an argument between members.

Barry

JoeBolt
Master Guide

Post by JoeBolt »

Been here 1 day, and couldn't be more heartened by the candor and care on this topic. I know my place, but as a retired molecular biologist and geneticist with bowed legs and bad knees, I'm surprised there isn't more personal "sharing" going on here, when it comes to staying active and free from ailment. I've had shingles already (don't mess with that!) and lots of boxes left to check yet on boosters of all kinds this year... Including "The Scope" (gulp). Be well, everyone.
By the way, my name is Bob from Des Moines, about 4 hrs from the Driftless, or anything serious. Like a Poseur, I'll be relying on your patient wisdom; hand me the spoon if it needs stirring.
Again, I know my place here, so no offense intended.
Humor is key. Thanks for letting me step in it. Your respective health is too important. Don't get skunked, that's my thing!
Bob (JoeBolt)

Titelines
Administrator

Post by Titelines »

GRASSNGLASS wrote:
10/28/21 15:22
Mark,

No, the virus does.

Just a stupid response to what I thought was a similar question. If he didn't like people talking about boosters he really didn't have to look.

I only started this thread to give fellow members a heads up to the fact boosters were available and get in line if they were waiting to get one. Personally I have been waiting months for the boosters to become available and I thought possibly others were in the same boat. Didn't try starting an argument between members.

Barry
Pot meet kettle. You could have chosen to ignore the post too, just like you asked him to do. Not everything requires a response.

Mark

joaniebo
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by joaniebo »

My wife and I got our first two Moderna shots in January and February and our third (full strength) on August 30th. My Oncologist had suggested we get it six months afterr the second shot (Febraury 22nd, so we got a full Moderna dose since the boosters were out yet. Same reaction on all three shots, tired and achy the second day (for me) and my wife's reactions lasted a day longer.

Actually, the seasonal flu shots we got on October 19th ached about the same, or a little more, than the Moderna injections.

Bob

flyfishingpastor
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by flyfishingpastor »

My wife and I got both of our COVID shots in March. In October, I made an emergency call to a Nursing Home - and a week later both of us got CV-19. I am SO very grateful we got the first two shots! Even though we got COVID, a disease 2 members of my family died from COVID prior to the shots being released, our experience was very mild compared to many. We had the usual symptoms, but very mild and easily managed by OTC meds. The only thing that hung on for an extra week or so was fatigue. So, my antibodies should be topped off, yeah, I sure will get the shot when it's available to us - in about 2 weeks.

Paul - enjoy your colonscopy! Life is made up of experiences! I have never cared for them, personally... But, when once you are entitled to Medicare there's MANY tests you have to take that are no fun at all.

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jhuskey »

So happy your outcomes were good ones Pat, nice to see you back.
Best

archer829
Guide

Post by archer829 »

To Flyfishingpastor and others in the same boat: Many immunologists consider a breakthrough case of COVID-19 after vaccination--"hybrid immunity"--to be as or more effective than vaccination plus a booster.

In essence, the breakthrough case was your booster.

A large UK study found that individuals who were originally vaccinated and then had a breakthrough case of covid had 94% protection for the next 6 months--quite a bit more than the protection offered by vaccines alone. You might be interfering with the natural protection you receive from "hybrid immunity" if you run right out and get a booster after having had a breakthrough case.

Just an FYI, because there seems to be a lot of confusion out there about this.....
Last edited by archer829 on 10/29/21 22:48, edited 2 times in total.

Cimarron
Guide

Post by Cimarron »

I’ve had the booster and feel pretty good and safer. I just don’t know what to do with these antlers growing out of my head.

GerardH
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GerardH »

My daughter was working with Covid patients when she was still an undergrad and came down with Covid last fall. She was tested for antibodies every two weeks until she got her Pfizer series in January. Last month she got her booster -- almost exactly a year from when she got the virus -- and she had a pretty strong reaction to it. I suppose her immune system is pretty geared up right now.

An anecdote: She was running 7-12 miles a day and after she got Covid, she couldn't run even a mile until May. Despite upping her mileage too little too late and still having issues with her lungs -- especially on humid days -- she was able to successfully run the Twin Cities Marathon. But her lung capacity is still lacking in comparison to prior getting the virus.

As an FYI, she's pursuing her MD/PhD in virology.

crowebeetle
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by crowebeetle »

GeraldH

Brava to your daughter for her accomplishments and perserverance.

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”