Line winders / driers

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

JakobLyngbye

Line winders / driers

Post by JakobLyngbye »

I got these 3 winders. The one seems to be build the same way as Farlows. The other two I've never seen anywhere.
If someone are willing to share some information, I would very grateful.
Tight lines.
Jakob, Denmark.

wher

60InchDV8
Master Guide

Re: Line winders / driers

Post by 60InchDV8 »

These line winders are all hand held as opposed to a pedestal design. This style of winder holds the reel mounted on the long wooden handle. The leader and fly line are over wrapped onto one of the metal arms and then it is spun off the reel and coiled by rotating the metal cage. The line can be dried and then changed or removed for storage. When the modern or silk line has dried, it can also be cleaned and conditioned. You can also grease a silk line after it has completely dried. I recommend letting the greased line also dry on the winder for a few hours before you wind it back onto the reel.

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

Here is mine in post 8 viewtopic.php?f=72&t=110380&p=784486&hi ... ge#p784486

A Dugdales on the spot folding line dryer.

Cheers,
Joe

JakobLyngbye

Post by JakobLyngbye »

Thanks for your replies.

Varoooom7

Post by Varoooom7 »

The two handheld are copies of a Hardy wooden line winder I borrowed to duplicate in 1980.
The original Hardy was made of wood and folded for travel.
The stationary model is mostly used to reverse fly lines from the handheld winder.

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”