New Zealand Shipping

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

GRASSNGLASS
Bamboo Fanatic

New Zealand Shipping

Post by GRASSNGLASS »

I recently lost the sale of a $280 book because of shipping charges.

After packageing the book as lightly as possible I checked with UPS, FedEx and our Post Office. The cheapest I could find was just shy of $80.

Am I missing something here. Is there a more reasonable way to ship to NZ?

In the past I've shipped rods and reels to and from with no where near these insane prices.

Any recommendations to alternate shipping appreciated.

Thanks,
Barry

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: New Zealand Shipping

Post by creakycane »

Had an 8 x10 paperback book shipped from Australia to me back in sept. 30.00 book, shipping was 16.00. Took 6 or 7 weeks, and I doubt it was insured. Tracked? Doubt it. Fyi. It came to me through us mail, with private shipping markings of some such. So if you require tracking, insurance, etc, 80.00 May be +/- reasonable

GRASSNGLASS
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GRASSNGLASS »

I had a book shipped from NZ couple months ago also. Total with price of a nice book was $55. Don't know what's going on.

This wasn't insured and I didn't ask about tracking.

PT48
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PT48 »

Barry, there are lots of problems with parcel delivery in the Antipodes at the moment - it all comes back to COVID. NZ is showing, especially on the North Island, that the virus is far from under control (today, for example, Air NZ cancelled 1,000 flights to Australia leading up to Christmas). You could look at companies such as Fed Ex but the costs are likely to be even higher.

GRASSNGLASS
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GRASSNGLASS »

DeJoy has cancelled so much mail service to Australia that I was wondering if the NZ mail normally headed through Australia first. Of course just a guess.

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

Not saying it would for sure be cheaper, but for international, I always start with DHL. It usually is less expensive. Worth a shot next time.

John

GRASSNGLASS
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GRASSNGLASS »

Thanks for the information.

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bassman »

Right now I don't think I'd try to send anything to Australia. Last couple of packages took a month or more. Now I have a package to send to The Netherlands and we'll see how that one goes. Would like it there before Christmas but won't make any bets on it.

Sorry, I know these countries were not in OP but just mentioning since Australia I've dealt with sadly and The Netherlands is a new one for me.

tworod

Post by tworod »

I am in the book business and a book weighing less than 5 pounds would cost $14.40 to New Zealand. This would be the standard international book rate to NZ via USPS. A problem is that most local post offices have little experience shipping books overseas. You may have to go to the main post office in a large city to find someone with the experience in shipping books overseas. COVID may be an issue with the transit time but not the cost.

GRASSNGLASS
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GRASSNGLASS »

WoW, I went to several places and couldn't get closer than five times that.

Thanks,
Barry

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”