Being Thankful in Advance...

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

flyfishingpastor
Bamboo Fanatic

Being Thankful in Advance...

Post by flyfishingpastor »

It's just a couple days shy of Thanksgiving (which is probably my favorite holiday of the year) and I certainly am thankful for the year I had. I've probably fished more in the past year than I have for many years. And, like you, though my year has been hectic and challenging at times, what with the pandemic and the accompanying misery for some, I had time to work on the ol' "Honey DO List" and whittle it down a bit. Lord knows, it won't ever be finished! I also did some traveling to some pretty out of the way places with NO crowds and places to stay that are not in heavily populated places. I expanded my raised bed gardening a lot and the potatoes, carrots, cabbages, peppers, peas, beans, lettuce and tomatoes were and are excellent. And, though I hated to do it, due to disease, I had to cut down 2 trees in my backyard which gives me room to add another couple of raised beds - if I decide to add more room for veggies. And, thanks to some of you, we now make 100% of our own bacon and sausage, bake our own bread and have begun canning and freezing our produce and we know exactly what's in each thing we've made.

But everything wasn't great. I lost a sister and a nephew to Covid in the past year and Cathy (my wife) and I both got Covid in the early fall this year. It was well after we received both Covid shots. We've only had in-person worship for the past month out here due to some massive Covid spikes and I'll tell you, leading at-a-distance worship for nearly a year and a half is the hardest thing I've done in 35 years of ministry. I clearly am NOT cut out to be a "TV Preacher!" Not complaining. I'm guessing you have had to do similar things in your work. I've also had to slow down on tying flies due to arthritis in my hands and fingers - but I tie enough to keep the family in flies because I really like to tie flies! And, as we've all experienced, it's been inconvenient to get needful things like repairs done or getting things shipped in. We bought a new living room set and it took nearly a year to finally get it. But, it's here now and we like it, so no complaints.

Finally, I want to tell YOU that one of the many things that I am certainly grateful for this year is my many friends on this forum - even though I haven't met a lot of you. Yet! There have been MANY times over the past year when I needed a place to wind down, relax and get my mind off "things." And, you've always come through for me. You helped me get my mind off of negative things and you shared your wisdom, your grace, your joy and spirit of fellowship and it is a wonderful gift. Thanks to each of you for sharing a bit of your passion for this sport and those that share it. I am also thankful for those that own and administer this forum. You'll probably never know how many people have taken refuge in this forum but you've sure helped me get through a sometimes very tough year.

Friends, I hope your upcoming holidays, however you celebrate them, are wonderful this year and I pray for all of us that 2022 will be AWESOME. :)

Pat
P.S. I don't know about your community, but there are lots of families here in the PNW that can use a bit o' help this year. I'm guessing the same is true in your neck of the woods. There are plenty of places in most communities where we can drop off food or pitch in a few $ to help make it better for some. If you have the resources to lend a hand, I know there are people who need it and will sure appreciate your help.
P.S.S. Oh yeah! Duh! I almost forgot! I will be retiring (the second time :)) effective 30 June 2022!

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Being Thankful in Advance...

Post by Hellmtflies »

Thank you Pat. Peace be with you and yours.

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

Pat, thank you. Nicely done.

canerodscom
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by canerodscom »

Thanks for the wise words and congratulations on the second try at retirement. I’m six months ahead of you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joaniebo
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by joaniebo »

Pat

I'm running out of Tup's dubbing.....need some more of your "special fur".

Beadster

thorsma
Sport

Post by thorsma »

Thank you Pat. Best wishes to you and all.

barebo
Master Guide

Post by barebo »

I applaud your sentiments and thank you as well for finding positives in a seemingly increasing negative world. That we collectively can of our own free will, set out to fish in beautiful surroundings with finely crafted rods and reels isn't lost on most of us I'm certain. I still believe we live in the greatest country on earth, and wish all good fortune and peace.

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jhuskey »

Peace and Grace to you Sir.

sodbank
Master Guide

Post by sodbank »

Thank you Pat ,well said! Wishing all a happy Thanksgiving and holiday season.

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

Such great words, I am uplifted. As others have said, peace to you and yours.

adrien schnee
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by adrien schnee »

Pat, I’m very sorry for the loss of your sister and nephew this past year. I’m certain they are in your thoughts today.

Thanks for sharing the many positive aspects of life that you’ve been able to participate in and enjoy, even during this difficult year.

Wishing you a healthy, and even better year ahead!

Adrien

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

I wish you joy and happiness Pat - to you and yours - and to everyone reading this on this holiday.
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Use the SEARCH for justification and reasoning.

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”