USPS Success Story

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

flyfishermann1955
Bamboo Fanatic

USPS Success Story

Post by flyfishermann1955 »

I took a rod to the post office at Tinker Air Force Base on Monday morning to mail it to the buyer in the Buffalo, NY area. It was a "Tonka Queen project rod" without a metal tube, so I mailed it in a "PVC tube". The postal clerk mentioned this was a bad week for sending mail. Price for Priority Mail shipping with insurance was $18.10 with an estimated delivery of Saturday (5 days).

The rod was delivered today. Not in 5 days, but in 2 days (47 hours actually) with excellent tracking updates. Buyer confirmed it arrived in undamaged condition. USPS performance lately has been disappointing, but this time they greatly exceeded the expectation--I'm very thankful!

Tight Lines- Ken

jimwright
Master Guide

Re: USPS Success Story

Post by jimwright »

Ken, my personal experience having sent and received many dozens of fly rods and custom long bows and recurves over the years, is that the USPS has consistently provided good, dependable service. With millions of items shipped they are not perfect but for me they have proven by far the best option.

greyreefer5
Guide

Post by greyreefer5 »

Tying scissors. Salt Lake to West Yellowstone--- 300 miles. 9 days USPS PRIORITY MAIL
Just sayin'

tabrods406
Guide

Post by tabrods406 »

greyreefer5 wrote:
11/25/21 14:12
Tying scissors. Salt Lake to West Yellowstone--- 300 miles. 9 days USPS PRIORITY MAIL
Just sayin'
Not surprised. My understanding is anything going over 1000 miles goes by air - everything else is ground. My Priority packages are getting to the east coast in two days from MT and three days to a MT address.

Tom

jimwright
Master Guide

Post by jimwright »

More on this, on Tuesday I mailed from here in Baton Rouge a flyrod to Dallas, TX and payment for a rod to Frazier Park, CA. Both were sent USPS/Priority Mail this past Tuesday and were received yesterday.

steeliefool
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by steeliefool »

Just ship a rod from jersey to idaho.....4days!!!

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

Once in a while they get it right. After all, a broken clock is right two times a day.

GRASSNGLASS
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GRASSNGLASS »

Depends what's broken on the clock. I mean if one of the hands have fallen off.

I have been fairly lucky with shipping. Did have one rod take thirty days to get from Detroit to Florida. Big problem for me is cost. Cost more to ship a rod today than what I was paying for many glass rods back in the early 2000's. I actually started selling less expensive glass rods five at a time to justify the shipping costs.

BigDog57
Sport

Post by BigDog57 »

My own experience with a lot of orders has been that USPS has been really pretty good on almost all of them. Problem starts when there is damage.
Have had a couple experiences with their insurance. GOOD LUCK getting anything from them
They either put ridiculous requirements that they never disclosed or just flat refuse to pay
You'd be better off spending the money lighting candles in Church

Having said that- Registered Mail is clearly the best way to send high value items

rsagebrush
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by rsagebrush »

So I guess in effect paying for insurance with them is a form of theft, protection money to give customer's peace of mind that's unwarranted, rather a scam actually, similar to a lot of other things provided by our government.

They used to be so efficient I guess we all got spoiled because they certainly are not now.

I used to, in the good old days less than a decade ago, use them exclusively, they were great, not anymore.

I can't even get them to deliver packages to my door, dangerous curve you know, but not dangerous for the first 36 years, actually lazy you know. but I don't mind that eight mile drive to town even though the sender paid for it to be delivered.

They're okay for lesser value items and smaller packages but the good stuff goes with UPS now, everything comes fast, efficient and right to my door, they don't worry about the dangerous curve, they're being paid to deliver.

Althehackleman
Guide

Post by Althehackleman »

A story about USPS from a few years ago. A great story and wonderful experience.
A rod was listed on the auction site. A 7-3 3/2 3wt Sweetgrass rod with a very low starting bid. My guess is the seller figured with a low starting bid that price would go up a lot. Well I bid the starting bid and watched it closely. I wanted that rod and was going to buy it. The price stayed low and I got it without raising my bid a cent. So the seller was obviously angry because the rod arrived with the shipping label on the rod tube. No packing, not even tape on the tube cap. I opened it rather hesitantly, rather concerned that it might be empty. The rod was inside in the sleeve and in fine shape.
Have fished this rod numerous times and love it.
USPS did a great job then and continues to do fine work now.
Al

steeliefool
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by steeliefool »

Went to the PO to grab a couple of triangular shipping tubes.
A: free
B: when I asked for 3, clerk returned with a whole wrapped pack saying "merry christmas"
Stellar or too lazy to open the pack.
I say stellar!

wrong66
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wrong66 »

rsagebrush wrote:
12/06/21 09:57
So I guess in effect paying for insurance with them is a form of theft, protection money to give customer's peace of mind that's unwarranted, rather a scam actually, similar to a lot of other things provided by our government.

They used to be so efficient I guess we all got spoiled because they certainly are not now.

I used to, in the good old days less than a decade ago, use them exclusively, they were great, not anymore.

I can't even get them to deliver packages to my door, dangerous curve you know, but not dangerous for the first 36 years, actually lazy you know. but I don't mind that eight mile drive to town even though the sender paid for it to be delivered.

They're okay for lesser value items and smaller packages but the good stuff goes with UPS now, everything comes fast, efficient and right to my door, they don't worry about the dangerous curve, they're being paid to deliver.
Yes, they used to be very efficient. Many of us are old enough to remember when, during Christmas season, they used to deliver mail to your door TWICE a day. Now I'm lucky to get one delivery before 9:00 pm.

tabrods406
Guide

Post by tabrods406 »

Well just got an email from a Canadian customer inquiring about their order that was placed on December 5th and wondering when I was going to send it out. It was sent on Dec. 6th and took 9 days to go from Livingston MT. to the USPS "Processing Center" in LA. On Dec. 15th it left the "Processing Center" in LA going to the LA Main PO. It sat there for another 9 days before heading to Canada on the morning of the 24th. God knows when it will arrive in Canada. For some reason the packages going to Canada seem to go through a portal and end up in an alternative universe. Seriously considering suspending out of the country shipments until this whole craziness with cancelled flights and no truck drivers eases up. UPS and Fedex are just too expensive to ship offshore and through no fault of their own the customer has a not very pleasant experience.

Tom

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”