Moderately priced wading staff?

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

Dean D
Master Guide

Moderately priced wading staff?

Post by Dean D »

This past year I used a hiking pole as a wading staff, and it worked well enough. But it easily dunked up (even with regular cleaning), and I realized that maybe spending time under water was not its intended use. I use a staff infrequently and would like to get a dedicated wading staff. I do not need nor want to spend a big chunk of money for a Simms, Folstaf, et al - I just need one that gets me across the stream. Do any of you have suggestions for a moderately priced folding staff? Opinions and options are appreciated.
Dean
"I used to be clueless, but I've turned that situation around 360 degrees."

Skeet1969
Guide

Re: Moderately priced wading staff?

Post by Skeet1969 »

Most of the waters here in the Poconos (that I frequent) are like wading through greased bowling balls and odd shaped boulders. I have used a cheap Walmart hiking pole since 2013 (with added lanyard) and have no need for anything else, though I have looked at others made for the purpose. It was a metallic green, I added some flat camo dark and light olive paint to it as well.
It's aces, I'll keep it till it croaks.
Mike B

bearbutt
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bearbutt »

I'd suggest getting top-notch staff--the best of them, like Folstaff and Herakles, will cost you under $200, which might seem like a lot at first, but is actually much cheaper than a ride to the ER, and attending costs--a good staff will last you your lifetime, and is a wise investment by all practical metrics.

bb

rsagebrush
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by rsagebrush »

I purchase a Folstaff over 25 years ago it is still going fine, had the bands replaced about 10 years ago. It's pretty cheap if you figure it that way. I never fish without one. I have a large diameter one for bigger water and an short small diameter one for creeks.
Now the original Simms staffs were great but then they 'improved' them and they don't really last a season, how dumb can a company get. they did the same thing with their Intruder wet wading boot.
I also use a couple of blackthorn hiking staffs, they are wood and quieter then.
There is a fellow making an aluminum wading staff he sells on several boards called the 'RiverStick' truly heavy duty item for big rivers and fast difficult water, it doesn't float, it doesn't bend and is reasonably priced too. Not the thing though for small streams because of the weight.

I would never cheap out on a wading staff as I depend on them so much.

GerardH
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GerardH »

After experiencing a bout of severe vertigo for a couple months this past summer, I suddenly found myself in the market for a wading staff. After a lot of research and vacillating on manufacturers/models, I purchased a RiverStick and as described above, it's a heavy duty staff that you could beat off a charging bear and I can trust my life with it -- it would be my wading staff of choice if I was fishing big, bruising rivers; however, it's overkill for most of the Wisconsin/UP/MN streams I fish and quite heavy. My next staff will be a Folstaff or the old discontinued Simms model mentioned earlier if I can find a used one at a decent price (they're going for $250 to over $300 on the secondary market). The RiverStick was ~$120 with shipping and Folstaffs are going for more than that, so those two might be outside of your price range.

When I posed the question on a fly fishing group I admin, a lot of folks use collapsible trekking poles and are quite satisfied with them -- including older anglers. But they're fishing mostly gentle Driftless spring creeks with good gravel bottoms, not glacial polished bowling balls with bog muck in the back eddies.

RaspberryPatch
Guide

Post by RaspberryPatch »

We have 6 staffs, and my wife will not wade without one. The folding staffs - such as the Folstaff - are used if we travel, but the favourites are the homemade. Judy definitely likes the modified skill pole. I have added a cork handle, a maple top, a simple eye to hold the cord and retractor. The bottom is sealed. It has had more than 10 years of use (nearing 20).

Mine favourite is the ash with the copper bar on the bar.

https://raspberryfisher.wordpress.com/?s=staff

Caneghost
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Caneghost »

I used my Folstaff for 17 years, every time I fished, then finally sent it back for refurbishment a year ago. I consider it an essential piece of fishing gear.
I used to use sticks but they always got in the way in the water, catching my fly line or worse, getting snarled by a running fish. The Folstaff is there when I need it and folded up when standing and fishing.

I tried a cheaper folder once for a spare and it lasted a season. I think it was about $60, so $60 per year. Folstaff was originally $110 and shipping and refurbishment (New shock cords, new cork, new carbide tip) cost me roughly $60 or less than $10 per year ($170/18). The cost will decrease every season and I will be safe on the river.
...a wink of gold like the glint of sunlight on polished cane...

brightwatercatskill.art.blog

Bee
Master Guide

Post by Bee »

I fish a lot of local waters that have a lotto beaver in them. I can usually pick up a right sized beaver -cut stick about anywhere on the rivers if I need to cross or wade slick stuff. I have little stockpiles of the beaver cuts stashed in various places on each side of rivers I frequently cross. Often I will use the same one coming and going daily for a week . Sometimes they end up way up river and may be discarded there as I walk a bank back . But I have stockpile where I will cross downstream. And I definitely use them going upland down exposed steep river banks --that is where I have my worst falls without a stick support.

In using these beaver natural cuts it has become obvious to me that the lightest , and strongest for wading support, by far, is a beaver cut PRiVET stalk. Usually they are completely debarked. They are incredible strong for their weight and diameter . The privet thin diameter has virtually no water drag. I have never broken one leaning on it and I weight maybe 220 fully geared in waders , vest, and boots. If I waned a permanent staff I would simply wrap a cord handle and loop attachment on one of those . fwiw

( if I was still chasing steelhead in BC I would use the old Herkilez due to transportation)

AlexP
Master Guide

Post by AlexP »

Another happy Folstaff user. When I have crossed the river a few times and hike for a couple miles, it is not easy to fold it, but I have the technique down now. I don't like to fish with it extended, so I do have to fold it a handful of times in an outing. I primarily fish MN / WI streams, so not challenging wading waters.

I know that the OP does not want to spend the $, but as stated above, a good folding wading staff is critical.

One piece of advice, if the model that you choose has multiple lengths available, do your research and decide what length is best for you. I went with the longest Folstaff available and it is great for wading, but probably too long for hiking based on my height. Something to consider.

Tight Lines

eapling
Guide

Post by eapling »

I have used a Folstaf since I was in my late 20's. I was FB lineman in college and have remained in very above fitness, now 71. I got a Folstaf after my first trip to south central Montana. It sure made fishing Penns Creek a lot more enjoyable too. I always have it with me on my wading belt. And I use it in all kinds of streams. Always have. The difference it makes wading any stream is amazing plus getting around on the banks. Tripods compared to two legs.
Using one will make your time fishing a lot more enjoyable.

I keep it open all the time and adjust the lanyard length so I can flip it over my non-casting shoulder where it's out of the way, but can reach back and flip it back using my shoulder as a fulcrum.

Here's the best part of my post: You can get used ones on ebay for under $100/ sometimes under $75. Many look barley used.

Check the Folstaf website to determine which length fits you. And as mentioned above, their repair service is outstanding. And rub the joints with paraffin occasionally as they recommend. Their site has info on all this stuff.

I'd caution against using light staffs made for hiking. They may not save you from a dunk if you slip and lean. I broke an expensive one hiking when I slipped.

Just my advice.

E

tiptop
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by tiptop »

I've been using a RiverStick for the last few years while my fishing partner uses a Folstaff. In spite of lubing the joints as recommended, he frequently has difficulty separating the sections leading to bouts of profanity :) The RiverStick is heavier but way easier to deploy and to put away with no need for lubrication. Less expensive too while being very solidly built.

16pmd
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 16pmd »

I've been using a Riverstick too and find it extra solid and stable, no fuss or stuck sections and made largely from parts you can replace at a hardware store if you ever need them. Cost $100 + $20 shipping. I think the guy who makes them has posted here as Herkileez.

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

I just ordered my Riverstick. Rick Humphreys is the maker. You can get his contact info from search. I’ll let you know how mine works out.

John

gjbu

Post by gjbu »

River stick. It’s a little heavy but built well and extremely stable.

rsagebrush
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by rsagebrush »

One of the biggest advantages of a wading staff is you can wade quieter too, there is no stumbling around as you try to keep your balance.

Dean D
Master Guide

Post by Dean D »

Thanks for all the suggestions. I appreciate it!

narcodog
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by narcodog »

I have had and do have three Folstaf's , I now use the River Stick all of the time and it's priced below any of the others. It's a little heavy but you can really lean on it.

narcodog
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by narcodog »

I have had and do have three Folstaf's , I now use the River Stick all of the time and it's priced below any of the others, I think a new FS is about $140.00. It's a little heavy but you can really lean on it.

Dean D
Master Guide

Post by Dean D »

Just an update form those who gave me recommendations. I just found a new Folstaf at a very good price. Should get to me in a week! I don't know if I'll be able to use it until Spring, but if I can get out this winter, I'll give it a try. Thanks again to all who commented and advised!

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

Congrats Dean on the Folstaf. Hope you enjoy it. For what it's worth, I got my River Stick today. This thing is the "real deal". It is heavier than the other staffs I have had which is going to be a real advantage in the pocket water wading I do most of the time. Based on the quality of workmanship, materials, and design, it's hard to imagine a better wading staff. Will get back to everybody in a few months once I've had it on the river several days.

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”