Net material

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

Fcs
Guide

Net material

Post by Fcs »

What’s the most fish-friendly net material, the clear rubber or the “micro mesh”, or something else? Talking about trout up to maybe 3 pounds max.
"Wherever the fish are, that's where we go."
Richard Wagner

DrLogik
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Net material

Post by DrLogik »

I feel the micro-mesh is the safest for the trout if wetted first. The problem is barbed hooks get stuck in it. The rubber nets don't snag the barb but I think they rub the trout's skin too much. I'll let others weigh in.

AlexP
Master Guide

Post by AlexP »

Agree with DrLogik. I have two nets, both materials, and I feel the micro-mesh feels the safest for the trout. The clear rubber seems more convenient for the angler with no hooked flies or tree branches. I get more "vegetation" hooks on the micro-mesh while hiking.

Tight Lines

JabaliHunter
Guide

Post by JabaliHunter »

I would say a fine rubber mesh (you can get 3mm or 5mm rubber mesh, not just the large 1”+ mesh you see most often) is probably the best option.

SalmoNewf
Guide

Post by SalmoNewf »

I’ve started using a black micro mesh net this year for Atlantic salmon after seeing guides using them. The fish seem to settle down quickly and with the required barbless hooks entanglement is not an issue.

ffftroutbum
Master Guide

Post by ffftroutbum »

Agree with the others. They all can work - soft cotton, fine mesh, and rubber. My preference is the mesh as I have an easier time handling fish with it than with the cotton and it is easier on my back than the rubber as it’s lighter. Tight lines!

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”