Angler's Club of New York

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Angler's Club of New York

Post by jhuskey »

Wonderful bit of Family history. Thank you for posting it!

wctc1
Master Guide

Post by wctc1 »

Wonderful discussion just found. I am mildly acquainted with Cwfly, and dare say, given his background, if he was late, there was a very good reason.

One disappointment was because of the Club's refusal to Booman2, who I know moderately well. He retired from a very visible military position while stationed in NYC. He has mentioned this refusal to me several times. I think it hurt his feelings.

Booman2 has never cast a carbon based rod, as in never. He is one of the most accomplished fly fishers I've known.

He is also a strong fly fisherman historian. It is my belief, that at one time he managed to accumulate every edition of Walton. He knew Gary Howells and Howells circle.

It was not to the credit of the NYAC to refuse him a few minutes in their hallowed environs. If someone in the Club would be interested in knowing about Booman2 and a possible invitation, please let me know.

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

andre49 wrote:
01/27/19 21:47
Tuscoroa club is very much still open to my chagrin. They own 8 miles of water on Mill Creek I would love to fish. Beautiful grounds, much nicer than the other Catskills clubs, although many black bear on their grounds. This picture taken on their grounds last fall.

Andre

Andre,
Twenty years ago I was invited to fish Tuscarora twice by a member that was also a member of a club I belonged to. Both times I had commitments to fish in Montana and couldn't make it. I truly missed an opportunity. I have another friend who has fished there as a guest and said it was to die for. My understanding is that members must live at least fifty miles away and fishing visits are no less than two days. I have a copy of the clubs book called "Tuscarora, One Hundred Years", 1901 to 2001. Published in 2001 by The Parachute Press. Only 212 copies exist. Very interesting.
Mark

jeffkn1
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jeffkn1 »

From the June 1910 issue of The Amateur Sportsman comes this cover photo of Labranche on the platform competing in the dry fly casting category. Not a high resolution scan.
And the report of the casting competition on the lake at Central park that May.

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”