Angler's Club of New York

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

Lafarge
Sport

Post by Lafarge »

Hi all.  Can anyone tell me about the Angler's Club of New York?  I've seen reference to them now and again, but they have no website that I have found.  What type of events do they hold?  How do you become a member?  Any info would be appreciated.

senior
Sport

Post by senior »

( Possibly ) the name of a hotel on Broad Street,New York that hosts dinners.Charles Ritz may have been related to the original owner of this hotel .I believe Charles once gave a fly casting demonstration of one of his parabolic fly rod designs on the roof there around circa  1950. On the guest list, notable anglers such as Lee Wulff & others  may have attended.   " Fario Club " ,Abercrombie & Fitch, are key words that may help in your search. I think others tried out fly rods on the roof ,complements of A&F.

narcodog
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by narcodog »

I have a club bulletin from 1974 which is volume 53. The guest speaker was Vernon Hidy. I believe they are still in existence and own property in the Catskill's. I bet if you would ask over on http://www.sparsegraymatter.com you would get your answer and then some.
"I like beer, do you like beer, I like beer a lot."

walter e lafong

Post by walter e lafong »

you have got to Waite a long time on a list and some times then you don't get in the club its been said that some one had his name in the new york times obit stated he was on the waiting list waiting to join.you go figure .its real hard to become a member from what i have been told as for them having land in the Catskills i have never been told that they had .i guess its this money money money and who you know will get you in
richard westerfield

DrakeBob
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by DrakeBob »

Okay, fine... here's what I know.  My information is dated, so read this accordingly, and if a member of the club is looking in and has better or more current information, I stand corrected.

The Anglers' Club of New York is strictly a social organization, i.e, it does not involve itself with conservation or political issues of any sort.  It is, quite literally, a "club" whose members share one passion - fly fishing.  The membership is capped in number, ostensibly because of the limited size of their facility, and, yes, there is a waiting list.  Membership must be sponsored.  I'm not aware of any property they own in the Catskills, but that doesn't mean it's not so.

Back in the mid 70s, I was on a three month assignment with one of the major brokerage houses and one day at lunch I walked over to have a look-see - they are located in lower Manhattan.  The rumor was that they had some pretty neat stuff to see and there was always the chance that you'd run into Alfred Miller, aka Sparse Grey Hackle, so who wouldn't want to do that?  Being a twenty-something without connections and not knowing the secret handshake (I tried my fraternity's, but it didn't work), the gatekeeper turned me away.  I left, got a pepper-and-egg sub and returned to my desk.

Formerly Drake – Bringing You The Finest In Foruming™ Since March, 2003
Piscator Non Solum Piscatur

roycestearns
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by roycestearns »

The AMFF is having an auction at the club March 4th, so if you're a member of the museum, and you would like to check it out ....  please take pictures and tell us about it.

NYAC auction

afgantrout
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by afgantrout »

Anglers' Club of New York
101 Broad Street
NYC

The American Museum of Fly Fishing is holding their annual dinner there on March 4.  Theodore Gordon Flyfishers also have events there.  I've known a few members of the club but...alas...I never got to darken their doorstep.

narcodog
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by narcodog »

I checked and they donot own any property in the Catskill's.
"I like beer, do you like beer, I like beer a lot."

Booman2
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Booman2 »

You need money, social position and luck to become a member. Schwiebert etc. were among the fortunate. I read that they have Theodore Gordon's flies, some famous old Leonard rods and much else. Their building was once bombed by terrorists (before they were called that) and the event made them more famous. On the day of my retirement after 22 years of military service, I phoned and asked if I could be be permitted a brief visit to view their collection. The answer was NO.

Randyflycaster
Master Guide

Post by Randyflycaster »

Yes, they are a very closed, exclusive club. When I was doing research for my book I wanted to review some of their literature. They told me I had to go through hoops to get access, so I didn't pursue it any further. Luckily, some of their publications are in the New York Public Library. If I remember correctly, they privately published a book about the history of their club.

They ran some of the first fly-casting tournaments in America, some in Central Park. I believe George M.L. La Branche was a member.

Randy
Last edited by Randyflycaster on 07/12/14 09:59, edited 2 times in total.

cwfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by cwfly »

I am not a member although I had dinner there once some years ago, arriving about 45 minutes late, which was not a good idea.
I believe the club was founded in 1905. The Fall, 1906 casting tournament at Harlem Mere is when John Enright of Castleconnell, with a 20’ spliced rod, cast a salmon fly 152’. Rueben Leonard did win the accuracy contests.
The club is located above Fraunces Tavern, where Gen’l Washington bade goodbye to his officers with a glass of refreshment. This morning’s NYT reported that the tavern will close this Saturday for financial reasons. Some of the club’s collection can be seen in Austin McK. Francis, Land[/i] of Little Rivers[/i]. A list of fly fishing luminaries who have and do belong would be lengthy. Some members of this forum are members.
"History has a beloved cousin who has the family eyes and nose
but is a rather different creature - myth." Ken Cameron,
The American Fly Fisher, v. 28, n. 1, Winter, 2002, (AMFF, Manchester, Vt., 2002).

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by creakycane »

They've published many books over the years - Atherton, Sparse Grey Hackle, Connett...  More recently, books about Sparse GH in 90's.  If you look in bookfinder searching with keywords, You'll find others....  Dana Lamb, R Palmer Baker, Hewitt, Pickering, Hunt all wrote for the AC journal years ago.

I have a copy of a book they did in the 30's with Derrydale Press called "American Dry Flies" By Dr Edgar Burke (who did artwork in Bergmann) that seems to be hard to find (I think it was limited IIRC). 

The AC does not own property in the Catskills to my knowledge and that of a long term member I asked......  They have had efforts to improve select streams/areas, but I don't know about more wiodespread habitat improvment efforts.  They used to have a website,which seems to no longer exists  www.anglersclubny.org  ?? The club is very old-world inside with an extensive book collection.  I have only been there on occasions with a member 10 or 12 years ago - one needs to be sponsored to apply for membership - yes, it's private, and not open to the public.  An apt parallel woudl be be the FlyFisher's Club of London, located not far from the old Hardy Shop at Pall Mall and also very oldworld, GREAT book collection and private. 

Dave H
Sport

Post by Dave H »

I have a book titled "The Sporting Life--A Passion For Hunting And Fishing", by Laurence Sheehan, published by Clarkson Potter , circa 1992.  One of the chapters is titled "The Anglers' Club", and has about six pages, with very nice photos, on the Club.  What a beautiful place; bound copies of  "The Anglers' Club Bulletin" next to a multitude of pewter casting tournament trophies, a photo of their Reading Room, a 32 lb. Atlantic Salmon mount over their fireplace (caught by Helen Barbour in 1934), their old-fashioned metal sign, personalized table settings, the flytiers desk, Theodore Gordon's Fly Box (presented by William Naden in 1955), next to a silver Fly Fishers' Club lighter in the form of a leaping salmon, which was originally an ornament for the radiator cap on an English motor car, and "atop a prized collection of early fly reels, the Outing Championship Cup, and a punch bowl, called The Home Pool, all serving as reminders of the Club's historic traditions, and sense of humor".  Quite a place; members must be very proud!

leadwingcoachman
Guide

Post by leadwingcoachman »

cwfly wrote:I am not a member although I had dinner there once some years ago, arriving about 45 minutes late, which was not a good idea.

I believe the club was founded in 1905. The Fall, 1906 casting tournament at Harlem Mere is when John Enright of Castleconnell, with a 20’ spliced rod, cast a salmon fly 152’. Rueben Leonard did win the accuracy contests.

The club is located above Fraunces Tavern, where Gen’l Washington bade goodbye to his officers with a glass of refreshment. This morning’s NYT reported that the tavern will close this Saturday for financial reasons. Some of the club’s collection can be seen in Austin McK. Francis, Land[/i] of Little Rivers[/i]. A list of fly fishing luminaries who have and do belong would be lengthy. Some members of this forum are members.
Now I can say I met a guy who knew a guy who was a member... cool

cwfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by cwfly »

Keep your chin up, Leadwing, and life will no doubt get more interesting as years go by than bumping into me. After all, the fact that I had no sage advice to pass along to you and didn’t prick a single fish all day the day we met, clearly shows that no aura surrounded me after leaving the club.
Had I arrived for dinner on time, who knows, but such was not to be.
"History has a beloved cousin who has the family eyes and nose
but is a rather different creature - myth." Ken Cameron,
The American Fly Fisher, v. 28, n. 1, Winter, 2002, (AMFF, Manchester, Vt., 2002).

DemarestNewman

Post by DemarestNewman »

As it so happens I attended the AMFF Annual Dinner there last night for the second time.

We were honoring Stan Bogdan [ Reel Maker for the uninitiated ] who was as charming as can be

and posed for pictures without complaint.

The club just oozes history and "culture" with it's Museum of Books,Flies and various Memorabilia.

Well worth the price of admission....

Flyfishnick

Whitefish Press
Owner

Post by Whitefish Press »

Several of our esteemed board members are also members of the NYAC. I will not name them, as if they would like to make this information known, they are certainly welcome to do so. But they are frequent board posters...

-- Dr. Todd

Think Bamboo
Sport

Post by Think Bamboo »

A clue:  Think of the Neversink Creek

gmflyfish
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by gmflyfish »

I have the pleasure of owning a few copies of the newsletter - with article written by Dana Lamb - a member.

Gregg

reelsmith
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by reelsmith »

Sorry I can't help with any specific information, but as Dr. Todd said, several board members do belong to the club ...maybe they can fill in the blanks.

Here is some neat club memorabilia ...

A fly casting medal ....

A bait casting trophy ...

A priest ...

Dean.

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”