Angler's Club of New York

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

joaniebo
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by joaniebo »

Try this link: (http://tgf.org/joomsite/ )

Bob
"Fishing is such great fun, I have often felt, that it really ought to be done in bed." - John Voelker

DukeAlum
Guide

Post by DukeAlum »

Gentlemen,

I am a member of the Anglers Club of NY city. I have been for 40-50 years at least.
And it is not a elite, exclusive club you think of.
Heck, they do shots of four roses, followed with Pabst NY beer.
They belch/fart at the bar like any other club.
Heck John Gierch is a memebr as well.
Not that big of a club my friends.Not fancy at all, when boozed up. They are like anyone else.

And on me you all are invited to" not" be interviewed, but JOIN!!!!
LOL

Nice day my friends

Jimmy
Nice day my friends

Jimmy,

PaducahMichael
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PaducahMichael »

"I sent the club a wire stating, PLEASE ACCEPT MY RESIGNATION. I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT ME AS A MEMBER."
Bamboo Rod Restoration Service : http://www.caneclinic.com

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

DukeAlum wrote:They belch/fart at the bar like any other club.
My wife would feel right at home.
I feel good. James Brown

Pete from MA
Guide

Post by Pete from MA »

It sounds like a very nice place ... sometimes there is a certain comfort to just sit and enjoy a nice drink surrounded by our history and the people who appreciate it...

PaducahMichael
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PaducahMichael »

Pete from MA wrote:It sounds like a very nice place ... sometimes there is a certain comfort to just sit and enjoy a nice drink surrounded by our history and the people who appreciate it...
I think you've nailed the essence of such a club. It does sound like a cordial and comfortable place to pass the time. We should all be so fortunate.
Bamboo Rod Restoration Service : http://www.caneclinic.com

DukeAlum
Guide

Post by DukeAlum »

Gentlemen,

PYochim, my wife would be very good company there as well!

My feeling my friends, I have my own club. A very private, exclusive club. Membership is very limited. To me and me only.
Actually enjoy my Glenlivet on my streams up this way.
Have my own peace of mind.
I see no reason for this one club, and never felt a need.To joing Anglers or any club.
Like I said in my prior post about the place.
I would like to take a leak if need be, belch as needed.
And fart as well.
I am able to do this in my own club.
God the military has made me a class act.
But, it is about fishing, and peace of mind.
I was fishing yesterday, a lawyer brother in law was up here from DC. He came around to where I fishing, and was standing on the shore. And asked me why I enjoy fishing so much.
At that time 2-3 deer were crossing the stream, sun was out.
I pointed to him and said I have been all over the world, there is no peace like this here.And this is where I get my peace, and rest.
Then I gulped some Glenlivet, wished him the very best.
And did not catch a freaking thing!

So I shot the deer!!! ( kidding)
LOL

Nice day my friends

Jimmy
Nice day my friends

Jimmy,

RevGeo
Guide

Post by RevGeo »

If I talked on line about the way my wife belched and farted I'd be in trouble, I'm thinkin'.

Rev George

troutbum1

Re: Angler's Club of New York

Post by troutbum1 »

I have Ernest Schwiebert's double volume "Trout" and throughout the section on fly-rods there are numerous drawings of bamboo rods with the title "From the collection of the American Anglers Club of New York". I thought it would be an amazing experience to visit the Club while in New York but clearly (and unfortunately) that doesn't seem to be a possibility. It's understandable though - I can imagine how many of those old artifacts would potentially disappear if left to random people walking in off the street.

So is there absolutely no way a non-member can visit the Club?

MtBrittany
Master Guide

Post by MtBrittany »

Booman2 wrote:You need money, social position and luck to become a member.
Doesn't appear I will qualify to become a member any time soon. I suspect I enjoy being on the water as much as, if not more than, any of the members; and that is all that is important. It is not about what you have or who you acquaint with.

Jealous? envious? absolutely not.

Rod

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

I think this thread is kind of weird. I'm not a member and am not sure if I know anyone who is, but who cares? It's a private club and doesn't have to disclose its goings-on. Does someone on this board think he is being deprived of something in his life because of the existence of a historical organization? What am I missing?

Randyflycaster
Master Guide

Post by Randyflycaster »

Then how does one join?

Randy

BillA
Master Guide

Post by BillA »

...the same way you join the Wigwam Club.

Eric Peper
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Eric Peper »

Randyflycaster wrote:Then how does one join?

Randy
You must be recommended by an existing member.
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich

JIAndrews

Post by JIAndrews »

Is there a contact person for the Angler's Club of New York? I have a collection of fly fishing and Angler's Club memorabilia from Wendle L. Collins [former member (1934) and VP of Payne Rod Company.] I was interested in finding out if the Club was still active?

Thank you,

Janet

hoagy b carmichael
Guide

Post by hoagy b carmichael »

Hello Janet:

I have been a member of the ACNY since 1971, and have served on the Archives Committee for over thirty years. Wendell Collins is a name that many of us knows well, and in fact I wrote a piece about Ed and Jim Payne several years ago.

You can contact me if you like at hoagy@hoagy.com and I will gladly help you, on behalf of the club, with your Collins ephemera. We would be thrilled to see, read and learn from what you have.

Thank you. Hoagy B. Carmichael

winston59
Master Guide

Post by winston59 »

Now there's a class Act. Well played.
Thanks, Robert

sentiquant

Post by sentiquant »

If your interested in checking out the club, honor Tom Rosenbauer, recipient of the Izaak Walton Award, this March, will cost you $250

https://midcurrent.com/2019/01/24/tom-r ... ton-award/
“No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.” - Heraclitus

hopkintoncane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by hopkintoncane »

Several of us Catskill museum slobs were invited to the club for dinner on a Thursday night about 5 years ago in early March if memory serves, for 2 purposes, 1 was to honor Joan Wulff and the other was show members of the club the model of the Joan Wulff Center building, still in the planning stages at that point, excellent dinner and yes, the members do drink Bud, I spent some quality time poking around the library and it was an out of body experience, books by Gordon and other American fly fishing royalty, signed and dedicated to the club, just a really cool place, right across the street from Battery Park near McSorleys…..wow.....

sentiquant

Post by sentiquant »

Do you know much about the Tuscarora Club? Is this still active?

Just doing some historical research.
“No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.” - Heraclitus

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”