Pipe smokers/collectors

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

prairieschooner
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Pipe smokers/collectors

Post by prairieschooner »

Looks like a great trip; headed to SD myself for similar in a couple weeks. Like you I don't know how much longer I'll be able to do it, but luckily I have a couple of nephews who let me tag along and take care of me.

Great looking pipe; morta with antler? And yes, I have a 12er of that Shiner in the beer fridge right now!
I spent most of my money on shotguns, fly rods, guitars and banjos. The rest I just wasted. (Apologies to W.C. Fields)

prairieschooner
Bamboo Fanatic

Wow; I sure miss the occasional new post in this thread, so...

Every Christmas I try to smoke a bowl in my clay churchwarden; very "Victorian" don'tchaknow. I'd do so while watching "A Christmas Carol" however my smoking is banished to the great outdoors :rolleyes . Anyway, this year I have a couple of new tobaccos to try - A Corncob Pipe and a Button Nose and Figgy Pudding; each sounded appropriately Christmassy. I've never been much of an aromatic guy so should prove interesting. I have to say, the aroma of Figgy Pudding even still in the pouch has pretty much filled my little study and is quite enticing...

Image Image

Any other Christmas pipe smoking traditions, new pipes/tobaccos, et al out there? Here's a very Merry Christmas to all pipe smoking fly fishers, and God bless us, everyone...
I spent most of my money on shotguns, fly rods, guitars and banjos. The rest I just wasted. (Apologies to W.C. Fields)

bobk
Master Guide

Post by bobk »

Like you, and many others I imagine, I miss the posts to this section in the Forum. I didn't post much in this section but did enjoy reading the posts and occasionally go back and read some of the old ones with great enjoyment. I don't have a smoking Christmas tradition but have been looking around now for about a month or so to buy myself a new pipe for Christmas with some new tobacco to go with it. And for whatever reason I just have not been able to find one that speaks out to me? But the search is fun.

My very best wishes to everyone for a Very Merry Christmas and a Healthy & Happy New Year.

ablecane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ablecane »

Went back to the beginning of this thread and reread it Christmas day.
Bless banjo and us all.

lestrout1
Guide

Post by lestrout1 »

If you are after a nice pipe from Sante Giuliani's collection, one of his very good friends is helping out his widow. He has been putting them, a few at a time, on EBay. His Seller name is lumpyslures (mind the 2 "S"'s) and for a non-pipe guy he does a pretty good job of describing and photographing Sante's gorgeous pipes. He is first rate in communication and shipping, and can ship overseas. In some cases, he has used Sante's marvelous selfies to show off the piece. His packaging is excellent and well protected. If you prefer that the pipe stem be removed for shipment, let him know ahead of time.

hp and tl
les

ablecane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ablecane »

Thank you for that info, les.

Tellumnothing
Guide

Post by Tellumnothing »

Decided to change my "wallpaper" on my iPad and found this one. Just thought it was a good one to share with my Pipe smokin friends. Very cold and wintery here in Montana, BUT, the days are getting longer and it's only 65 days until SPRING. Keeping it smokey.
Tellumnothing

ablecane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ablecane »

Nice shot.
I have the same elk glass. Cool!

prairieschooner
Bamboo Fanatic

Nice! I have that cup as well but the cup part on mine is brass.

ablecane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ablecane »

Mixed feelings. Sold 8 of my Peterson pipes. :(/:)

bobk
Master Guide

Post by bobk »

Well, I have sold fly rods and fly reels that I had mixed feelings about at the time and a couple of SxS's also. But when there are the ones that we no longer use its a good thing to maybe get them to someone who will appreciate them rather than having them go in a yard sale or the trash when our time comes to head upstream. Hope you held on to some of your favorites.

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jhuskey »

ablecane wrote:Mixed feelings. Sold 8 of my Peterson pipes. :(/:)
You will get over it Sir, eventually.

I have not bought a pipe in a couple years, but couldn't help but to pull the trigger on one of Banjo's - Rusticated Acorn made by Jack Howell.
A fine way to remember him.
Best,
John :pipe

ablecane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ablecane »

Still have around 50. Smoke the same 4/5 most of the time. Most likely part with more of them in the future. Better half says she hopes she passes away before I do sho she doesn't have to deal with all my stuff. :)
Glad you got banjo's pipe, John. I watched it for a spell. Did it come with any kind of provenance mentioning it belonged to Santee?

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jhuskey »

He posted it on this thread (#642, 5/23/14) and at least two other forums I have found. I'll likely print out the eBay page where it is in writing w/pics. I'm not worried about it, I'll never sell it, as it is way too handsome a pipe. Since my wife is 11+ years my junior, she is out of luck and will get stuck with my stuff. :lol

ablecane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ablecane »

Good idea!

prairieschooner
Bamboo Fanatic

Yeah; it's time for me to pare down my stuff as well. Over the past couple of years I've sold off maybe two dozen pipes; the remainder will stay - sentimental, nostalgia, whatever - but like able I still have way too many but seem to mostly smoke the same few over and over. The same with rods and reels; sold a bunch and have kept only my Winston graphites, three glass and three bamboo rods, and just one reel for each. I don't miss any of it.

That said, I recently bought this cute little .22mag revolver and this Ithaca single barrel trap gun, so whattayagonnado? I keep telling The Good Wife this stuff is her inheritance but I don't think she believes me...

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jhuskey »

Mighty fine looking Ithaca! But, ya can't shoot doubles with that thang :lol

John :hat

prairieschooner
Bamboo Fanatic

True dat ;) !

ablecane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ablecane »

Sweet!

Tellumnothing
Guide

Post by Tellumnothing »

Good day for a smoke :D
Spring came to Montana today! 51°, boy was it nice. Took my first walk of the year to the mail box ( about 1/2 mile) and smoked my Swiss farmers Pipe with a full bowl of CAO Black. Sure did taste good after waiting all winter. Hope the weather holds? Happy Spring to you all.
Tellumnothing

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”