Pipe smokers/collectors

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

ablecane
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Pipe smokers/collectors

Post by ablecane »

"each a faithful friend" says it perfectly.
Great meer.
Pic reminds me of Dr. Watson, cohort of Mr Holmes!

durangofly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by durangofly »

Love your pipe rack, ps.

Yes, “...each a faithful friend.”
I fish . . . not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important but because I suspect that so many other concerns of men are equally unimportant--and not nearly so much fun.

Robert Traver

BambooBoy
Guide

Post by BambooBoy »

I need to post some pics of my meerschaums soon. I used to have many more, but sold some of them off, like a fool. I had one that I regret selling most of all and that was a Beckler fish. It was a full body fish bent in a U shape with it's mouth as the bowl. G-d I wish I still had it. I haven't been able to find another one like it since. My new tobacco smokes great, with no bite and the taste leaves my mouth, not too long after I quit smoking, which is a lot more than I can say for my Mac Baren's Scottish Mixture. I still have that cigar I'm waiting to smoke for that special moment.

ablecane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ablecane »

Look forward to seeing those, BB.

mlarocco
Master Guide

Post by mlarocco »

Came across this pipe this weekend at an second hand store in the Columbia Gorge. Looks to be Haida mid to late 1800s.

This argilite pipe was part of the same collection

ablecane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ablecane »

I hope you bought those!

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jhuskey »

Those are beautiful! Thanks for posting them!

mlarocco
Master Guide

Post by mlarocco »

I hope you bought those!
I picked them up along with a HAIDA feast bowl at an extremely reasonable price. What I was told was they had been in storage for a long time as the estate of a serious native American collector was settled. I was also told that were some very unique pieces that had been sold to various groups of native americans that were apparently acquiring pieces for their cultural centers/museums.

ablecane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ablecane »

Congratulations. Great score!

bobk
Master Guide

Post by bobk »

Maybe almost 2 years ago now I found this thread. I smoked cigarettes mostly but back in the early 70's did buy a pipe, a Butz Choquin which I smoked some but not a lot or with any regularity. This thread with Sante's wonderful pictures and comments peaked my interest again. So, I bought some tobacco and resurrected my old pipe and sat back and had a bowl or two. Well, like fly rods & reels and nice old SxS's one leads to a few more....... why, I don't know. And just before Sante's passing I ordered a pipe that I thought would be just what I needed for this coming fall and the upland bird season and planned that when it arrived I would proudly boast a picture and await his comment of approval or his showing and telling of one of his that was similar. Unfortunately that didn't happen as planned and though it arrived shortly after it took me til now to get a picture to post. It is a Boswell Pipe, smooth bent apple, plateau rim with the brass section of a 12ga Winchester shotgun shell fit on the shank. It may not help me to shoot any better but I certainly will look good with it. I really miss coming to this particular topic now and seeing almost on a daily basis those pictures and the great selections of pipes Sante had and his wonderful way of describing them and what he was smoking. Sante, here is to you and know that though we haven't met you still had an influence on me as you have on many others and I'm doing my part to keep it smokey.

prairieschooner
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by prairieschooner »

Beautiful pipe. Nice touch with the 12ga brass (I'm a 16ga guy myself though :D ).
I spent most of my money on shotguns, fly rods, guitars and banjos. The rest I just wasted. (Apologies to W.C. Fields)

bobk
Master Guide

Post by bobk »

PS, 16's are what I usually shoot but he was reluctant to use a 16 that I was willing to send to him. He's comfortable with the ones he gets and has had no problems with them, so I went with that. I'll just have to suffer ! Bob

prairieschooner
Bamboo Fanatic

I'm sure you'll be able to stand it ;) !
I spent most of my money on shotguns, fly rods, guitars and banjos. The rest I just wasted. (Apologies to W.C. Fields)

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jhuskey »

Awesome pipe with the shotgun shell shank! Jake Hackert had a briar pipe with a 20 guage ring on the shank for sale about a year back, and I snoozed........ Uhhhhh

bobk
Master Guide

Post by bobk »

They were very nice to work with regarding what I was looking for and didn't take very long, about a month, to receive it. Here is a link to some of the other shotshell pipes he has made: http://jmboswell.com/shotshellpipegallery.html

prairieschooner
Bamboo Fanatic

I seem to remember another "fishing pipe" with lanyard that used to be around; does anyone remember the maker? I have searched but found only the Boswells... or maybe it was always Boswell and my memory's clouded?

bobk
Master Guide

Post by bobk »

PS, here is a link to one I saw about a week ago which has been sold. I was intrigued by the ring on the band of the shank and thought it was there to be attached for some reason..... maybe fishing?

https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/esta ... _id=333954

prairieschooner
Bamboo Fanatic

I like it!

jp267
Sport

Post by jp267 »

Oh boy what I wouldn't do for some Irwin Ries tobacco. I lived about a mile from the store for two years. I guess they now do online ordering of tobacco somehow. Send a photocopy of your ID or something. Maybe it's time to order a few packs again....

krfishinator

Post by krfishinator »

Can anyone shed some light on the history of this stanwell hunter pipe

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”