New Fishing Truck - Meet Earl

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: New Fishing Truck - Meet Earl

Post by bassman »

RyanAK wrote:... No damn computer. ...everything can be fixed with a flat-head screwdriver, a crescent wrench, duct tape, and a hammer.
R
Ah yes, when the Electromagnetic Pulse (EMP) hits and the earth's magnetic fields shift, the rest of us will be dead in the water and we'll all be begging for rides to the river. :rollin

mikeylikesit
Guide

Post by mikeylikesit »

Love the 'bourbon Ryan! Despite the touch of rust, that one is mighty clean for a 71 vintage! My "fishing" truck is just a touch more yuppie. 1996 Toyota T-100 long bed, 5spd, 2.7L 4-banger. Got a matching color, tightfitting, ARE camper shell so it's great for hole hopping with rigged rods. 25mph hwy. Still running strong with 231K on the odo.
USN 1985-91

DrLogik
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by DrLogik »

It's a throwdown canecaster!! Your '71 MGB against my '71 TR-6. A tough four banger against a straight six. I'll even give you a head start!! ;)

Let's just hope the Healey's don't show up, then we'll have to go home.......

wiscoy
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wiscoy »

DrLogik wrote: Let's just hope the Healey's don't show up, then we'll have to go home.......

:rollin :rollin
"It is better to tie one good fly in an hour than a dozen that would only be taken by a trout with a sense of humor"
Uncle Bill

Shoeless Joe
Master Guide

Post by Shoeless Joe »

RyanAK wrote:
That, my friend, is a National Treasure...

RyanAK
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by RyanAK »

Funny Joe, I'm sure there MUST be a small block Chevy in the Smithsonian.

R

adrien schnee
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by adrien schnee »

Ryan, it's a good one, I like it. And you could always sell a Young or two to keep it fed with gas! :)

My fishing car when I was a teenager was a 1968 Ford Custom 500. Slept in it many nights it was so spacious. I had a friend install a blue velour "sofa" as a back seat. It was an actual a back seat, but could easily have been a sofa it was so huge. I came around a tight corner on ice with this car once in the city to meet another huge vessel, a 1975 Thunderbird head on. Neither of us were at fault, we just slid into each other. The Thunderbird was totalled the Custom 500 didn't even break a light. Cast iron that thing was, and thirsty as you would expect.

We often tend to think of cars having a 300 or 400 000 mile life span. But consider this interesting bit of car news - the Toyota Corolla taxis in Bangkok, in some of the heaviest stop and go city traffic in the world, have to retire from taxi duty after 9 years. At which time they have an average of 1.8 to 2 MILLION km's on them, or 1.3 million miles or so. These cars are frequently driven by two drivers 24 hours a day. They then almost always continue to be driven a few more years as personal
vehicles. Add to this that the benzene engines have all been converted to LPG or NGV, which dries the valves out prematurely and is not what the cars were designed to run on.
I've travelled in dozens of these cars that had over a million km's and they are still generally tight and smooth, almost impossible to believe the
capability of a vehicle like this.

So I figure you have at least a million more miles, maybe two million to put on your truck Ryan as you are unlikely going to be stuck in many hour long traffic jams with it!

Enjoy the troutmobile!

Cheers

spruce grouse
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by spruce grouse »

Ryan,
You could fit a whole bamboo gathering in that Suburban. No need to caravan to that secret stream.

Shoeless Joe
Master Guide

Post by Shoeless Joe »

RyanAK wrote:Funny Joe, I'm sure there MUST be a small block Chevy in the Smithsonian.

R
Yessir, right next to the Rolls-Royce (Packard) Merlin!

A few lines that will grow on you, Ryan...
The Fishing Truck
"My truck starts when I turn the key. This brings relief. There are always moments, when parked somewhere far from the familiar and in an aging vehicle, that the engine's faithfulness is tested. With each successful ignition, the bond between tired man and rusted machine is strengthened."
~ Jay Zimmerman, 'In Neck Deep: Stories From a Fisherman'

Jaimec
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Jaimec »

Here's mine: 1969 Westfalia with the side tent attached, it will comfortably sleep 8 people! No 4wd, but I've taken it some pretty amazing places! Ditto on easy to fix....I can drop the motor by myself in about 45 minutes!
Jaime

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, I grew up in a suburban. My dad had a 1949 GMC. [He had an International woody before that. OK, OK...] He was a minister who was always hauling around some parishioners stuff. Of course, he had five kids and all their friends and stuff to tote too. Later, when I was truant from school, he'd give me a 'shave and a haircut, two bits, two bits' horn blast from the 1965 Suburban to pick me up from fishing. Usually I'd be at Barton Pond on the mighty Huron near Ann Arbor, MI. I have a 1987 GMC 1500 including typical rust. I replaced a lot and it's reliable. Here's this: http://history.gmheritagecenter.com/wik ... rban_At_75 Jay Edwards

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

DrLogik wrote:It's a throwdown canecaster!! Your '71 MGB against my '71 TR-6. A tough four banger against a straight six. I'll even give you a head start!! ;)

And you'd both better look out for my 1970 Datsun 2000 with twin Solexes, 150hp SOHC and a 5-speed. Just sayin'... ;)

Scott
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

CaneCaster
Master Guide

Post by CaneCaster »

Flyman615 wrote:
DrLogik wrote:It's a throwdown canecaster!! Your '71 MGB against my '71 TR-6. A tough four banger against a straight six. I'll even give you a head start!! ;)

And you'd both better look out for my 1970 Datsun 2000 with twin Solexes, 150hp SOHC and a 5-speed. Just sayin'... ;)

Scott
Scott.... sorry man.... your out. This is a brittish thing... and we all know your Datsun would crush us. DrLogik. Your on! Good race. top down, goggles on :)

Here's "Winston" He's my wife's daily driver

And here is my fishy/campy rig. 94' XJ with a 4.6L Stroker :)

Not quite as classy as your rig Ryan.... still say you need a supercharger on that truck tho :hat

Cheers.
J.

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

J.

You're right, besides you both have cars with electric systems designed by Alfred Lucas, "The Prince of Darkness". My sympathies! :lol

Winston's a nice looking B, tho'. I assume the name comes from the color?

Scott
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

CaneCaster
Master Guide

Post by CaneCaster »

Yup... you got it! "Lucas - the original intermitant wipers" hahaha! (it is not as bad as they say.... but this comes from a long time Jeep owner.... so draw your own conclusions there!

Yes name comes from the classic winston green as well as Emily and I thought what a good proper name would be for an English butler type..... Winston seemed to fit nicely.

wiscoy
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wiscoy »

Flyman615 wrote:J.

You're right, besides you both have cars with electric systems designed by Alfred Lucas, "The Prince of Darkness". My sympathies! :lol

Winston's a nice looking B, tho'. I assume the name comes from the color?

Scott
as the old line goes -

do you know why the English drink warm beer??

because they have Lucas Refrigerators
"It is better to tie one good fly in an hour than a dozen that would only be taken by a trout with a sense of humor"
Uncle Bill

DrLogik
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by DrLogik »

Canecaster,

Maybe let's invite Jaimec's Westphalia. I think we can beat him.

Yeah, I agree, no Datsun's allowed...this is a British thing. Well, save the German van thingy.

That's a mighty fine looking MGB you got there!

Yeah, and contrary to what Ozzy Osborn says, Lucas is the TRUE "Prince of Darkness"!!

Grant

CaneCaster
Master Guide

Post by CaneCaster »

The only thing that a westy is gonna beat a LBC at is bursting into flames :)
Brother-in-law has a 74' westy that I get the privilage of helping him work on from time to time..... so i stand by the fact that I have earned the right to make the above statement!

Thanx! I love Winston.

J

Jaimec
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Jaimec »

DrLogik wrote:Canecaster,

Maybe let's invite Jaimec's Westphalia. I think we can beat him.

Yeah, I agree, no Datsun's allowed...this is a British thing. Well, save the German van thingy.

That's a mighty fine looking MGB you got there!

Yeah, and contrary to what Ozzy Osborn says, Lucas is the TRUE "Prince of Darkness"!!

Grant
My buddy has a bumper sticker on his Westy...... "Zero to 60, in Twelve Minutes Flat" ;)

Jaimec
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Jaimec »

CaneCaster wrote:The only thing that a westy is gonna beat a LBC at is bursting into flames :)
Brother-in-law has a 74' westy that I get the privilage of helping him work on from time to time..... so i stand by the fact that I have earned the right to make the above statement!

Thanx! I love Winston.

J
Nope. Anything newer than a '71 ain't worth owning. The people who own them are quietly scorned by those of us who own real Volkswagens! They all burn equally well, however :wave

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”