New Fishing Truck - Meet Earl

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

RyanAK
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: New Fishing Truck - Meet Earl

Post by RyanAK »

"My truck starts when I turn the key. This brings relief. There are always moments, when parked somewhere far from the familiar and in an aging vehicle, that the engine's faithfulness is tested. With each successful ignition, the bond between tired man and rusted machine is strengthened."
~ Jay Zimmerman, 'In Neck Deep: Stories From a Fisherman'

Joe, this is a great quote. Thanks for posting. I may have to make a little plaque for Earl.

James... 'Winston' and 'Earl' are about as different as two vehicles could get. An automotive odd couple for sure. Now that XJ... that thing will go where Earl could only imagine. I'm gonna call it the Goat. :)

R

CaneCaster
Master Guide

Post by CaneCaster »

Perhaps you could modify the bed of earl to accept a small green car inside? a ramp could come out of the back? Ever seen nightrider? :lol :lol

J

RyanAK
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by RyanAK »

Winston INSIDE of Earl. Yep, odd couple.

Put an ejection seat in that MGB and pretend you're a low rent James... Bond.

R

satbuilder
Sport

Post by satbuilder »

DrLogik wrote:Let's just hope the Healey's don't show up, then we'll have to go home.......
With their ground clearance issues I don't think I'd ever make a Healey a fishing vehicle, were I lucky enough to own one. Untouched oil pans are at a premium, unless they've started reproducing them.

Nice Burb Ryan. I had a '72 Blazer up until a few years ago. It was a rustbucket as it had been used extensively for surf fishing on the Outer Banks. I have an '88 Burb that's been a workhorse for quite a while. Never let me down.

Kurt

LeGrand
Sport

Post by LeGrand »

I sold my Chevrolet 1988 3/4 ton 4x4 Suburban a couple a years ago to a neighbor who installed a plow on it and used it till last December (guess he could not find any replacement parts anymore), which I had for 20 years.

Now have the 1998 Dodge Ram Hemi 1500 MegaCab 4x4. My 6' tall kids prefer the leg room in the back seat. Hopr it last as long as the Suburban.

quashnet
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by quashnet »

After a brake job a few days ago on my 1991 Ford Ranger, the Check Engine light (which had been continuously lit for three months straight) is now out. Either the right bit got jiggled, or the dashboard light burned out. Either way, we await southern New England's next snow dump.

czkid
Administrator

Post by czkid »

What's snow????

Eric Peper
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Eric Peper »

czkid wrote:What's snow????
As I recall . . . it's something that falls out of the sky that you either have to shovel or slide on. After you reach a certain age, there's no need to live where this happens.

Eric

quashnet
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by quashnet »

Snow is what's going to keep our little New England native sea-run brook trout streams full of cool water into the spring, allowing all the little hatchlings to get a good start in life and providing some great fishing.

A couple of years ago my wife (who was nearing retirement) looked up at me from the couch and announced, out of the blue, "I would NEVER move to Florida." That's my girl.
:wave
Please visit and bookmark the Paul H. Young Rod Database
Other rod databases: Dickerson , Orvis , Powell

pmag
Master Guide

Post by pmag »

You gotca a good wife, there, Quashnet. I talked mine into moving from Texas to the U.P. What a woman! She was originally from Grand Rapids but lived in Texas for 45 years.

Eric Peper
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Eric Peper »

>> "I would NEVER move to Florida." <<

Agree, also agree as to the value of snow to our rivers and the fishes.

Having done my "snow penance" for several decades in the upper midwest and the northeast, I now prefer to visit those areas where the snow falls after the snow is through falling and has melted into the soil and rivers. :)

Eric

BruceHandley
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BruceHandley »

I thought I'd add some pictures of my fishing vehicle. This is a 1988 Ford Aerostar that I bought new and for the most part, use it just for fishing. It has a 3L V6 engine, 5 speed manual with overdrive, and has none of the computers or other geegaws that you find today. It's strictly a basic vehicle; it doesn't even have air conditioning or power windows.

The first two pictures were taken after she was about 14 years old and she's in the process of getting a facelift. The second two pictures are after she's all put back together, better than new, and ready for another 150K miles.

Long trips with the van have become problematic as spare parts are becoming very hard to find. Should I break down I'm not sure I could find parts to fix her. The last repair we did on this vehicle, a few months ago, we had to make the parts. This does not bode well for the future. My wife has suggested that perhaps I should be buried in this vehicle as I really don't want to part with her.

Bruce

Cane Head
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Cane Head »

Bruce - still driving that van? Did you get it re-painted? Thought it was a dark green color in the past.

Cane

BruceHandley
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BruceHandley »

Hello Ken,
Yes its still the same van, and its always been blue, the paint job is better than Ford ever did.
One reason that she's running is that I don't drive it in the winter, I store it with my Audi.
This van has been to Cape Breton,NS so many times she could go by herself.
Good to hear from you, how are things going in retirement?
Bruce

Cane Head
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Cane Head »

Can't really call it a retirement since a daughter at Cornell keeps me out of retirement. Nice to see you still have the van. The Subie we bought at McBrides gave up the ghost this January - so my new fish car is a Jeep. At least I got 19 years out of the Subie.

Cane

Mister Bill
Master Guide

Post by Mister Bill »

Short Tip
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Short Tip »

Had to add this recently unearthed photo, mine was a '69 GMC. Check the roof vent. Many fishing rides have come and gone since this Suburban stalked the rutted roads. This has to be ca. 1975, brook trout fishing out near Spruce Knob WV.

Nowadays I can't decide so I have two.

jimwright
Master Guide

Post by jimwright »

I had a 1971 Ford F-250 4 wheel drive pick-up and lived in MT. in 1973-74. It was hard to believe how mainstream I was, they were everywhere. I remember once up in the National Forest north of White Sulphur Springs with chains all the way around crossing a park, pushing through dry snow that was breaking over the top of the hood. I eventually had to back out as it began to overheat with no air to the radiator. It was a beast, the only short coming was it had no A.C. and I moved back to Louisiana prompting the oft cited "what was I thinking"?

wctc1
Master Guide

Post by wctc1 »

I am so dumb. Thought that was the weirdest paint job ever before noticing it was the Photobucket band. Think a set of baby moons would look good on the beast.

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jhuskey »

Short Tip wrote:
09/18/20 10:37
Had to add this recently unearthed photo, mine was a '69 GMC. Check the roof vent. Many fishing rides have come and gone since this Suburban stalked the rutted roads. This has to be ca. 1975, brook trout fishing out near Spruce Knob WV.

Nowadays I can't decide so I have two.

Damn hippies! :pipe

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”