Where are the dogs?

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

Boise Bamboo
Guide

Re: Where are the dogs?

Post by Boise Bamboo »

Sincere condolences, PYochim. May she rest in peace.

sgallas
Master Guide

Post by sgallas »

My condolences. My sister has two Bouviers .Incredibly loyal and protective dogs.

snorider
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by snorider »

Paul, Sorry for your loss. Loosing a friend is never easy, hope you find a new one soon.

This is my fishing partner "Ginger" she is quite likely the worlds best fish pointer.

Her mother is a well known many time Champion Labrador Retriever, her father well if I had not owned setters for the last 30 years we would never know. She is a "midnight cross" and picked from a box at the farmers market after my wifes last lab passed. Early on she revealed her father by pointing birds, bugs and her food bowl, by carrying each kibble away from the bowl after you give her permission to eat and chomping it loudly and by running like only a Ryman setter can. BUT she is also a consummate water dog and carries her mothers banner proudly. She will not stop retrieving until she is shaking and exhausted and I make the kids stop throwing sticks and dummies. Doubles, blind retrieves she really is something.
Fishing is where she truly shines however. If a fish rises she points and is steady to the rise, take and release.

I have learned that if she is looking like this you had better put a drift over the water she is pointing, cause she takes pride in finding and pointing her fish. Often after I release the fish she will walk to the spot I let it go and paw the surface of the water, stick her head under water, sigh and walk away. Always sneaky she heels right next to me and makes no noise watching intently for fish. By far the best fishing dog I have ever had.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it. T.R.

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

Thanks for the kind words, Here is another picture of her. She absolutely hated the camera and is giving me the "evil eye" in this shot.

Bitterroot1
Sport

Post by Bitterroot1 »

My rock star. Loves fly fishing as much as finding birds.

GRASSNGLASS
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GRASSNGLASS »

Sorry for your loss, it's so hard to lose a friend.

Barry

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

Barry, thanks.

slate river
Master Guide

Post by slate river »

Paul,
I am deeply sorry for your loss. Dogs are special beings that truly enrich our lives.
Bob
"God made dogs to steal our hearts and they do."

CBarclay
Guide

Post by CBarclay »

Paul, I can't add much more to what everyone else has said but I am very sorry to hear this!!

munsey w
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by munsey w »

So sorry to hear this...I know you are a serious dog lover...they are sure tough to lose!

Munsey

RyanAK
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by RyanAK »

My deepest condolences. So very hard to lose a friend.

R

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

Thanks for the kind words.

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

Peace.

Capt. Frank
Master Guide

Post by Capt. Frank »

The nicest person I ever met, was a dog--Mark Twain

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

Very sorry to hear about your dog. I'm glad she had many good years with you, and vice versa.

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

Thanks for the kind comments. She was a very special girl. We have lost two dogs in the past year. Not easy but life goes on. I took Nikki with me fishing today. Did not get any fishing done as waters were high. She has become accustomed to the back seat of the truck.

fishnbanjo
The Canefather

Post by fishnbanjo »

Sincere condolences on your loss Paul, it’s never easy. I always thought the time allotted to spend with us is far too short, May your pain soon fill your heart with fond memories that will bring a warmth to you, regards.
banjo

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

Banjo, thanks. The little one is keeping us busy. She does miss her buddy. We're in Wyoming for a few weeks and she keeps wandering around the house as if she is looking for someone. I did take her to a dog park and she had a ball with a big Mastiff.

just_jon
Guide

Post by just_jon »

So sorry for your losses. They bring such joy to our lives, yet their loss is such suffering. I have a 10 year old field bred springer who the vet says has 5 good years left. Really hope so because I've never had one live longer than 12 years. I went almost 17 years between dogs after losing a 10 year old in 1987 and an 18 month old (seizures) in 1990. More than I could bear, but love struck up in 2007 and my now 40 year relationship with those crazy springer is back in full. Her 16 month old "brother" keeps her moving which is a definite plus. Would love to have one turn out to be a stable fly fishing fishing companion, but I cannot even keep them in my boat. First goose/duck sighted often leads to a several mile swim (generally one in each direction). Not holding up hopes. Perhaps I'll switch to a more sedentary dog as I move into my later years, but I doubt it.

RyanAK
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by RyanAK »

“It is easy to forget that in the main we die only seven times more slowly than our dogs” - Jim Harrison

Boomer on our honeymoon

Near the end

Spencer saying goodbye
Last edited by RyanAK on 11/04/17 11:27, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”