Where are the dogs?

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

tabrods406
Guide

Re: Where are the dogs?

Post by tabrods406 »

The new pup - "Boston Blackie". A six month old Shetland Sheepdog...

Image[/url]

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jhuskey »

Oh I see a new hat model shaping up Tom.

sgallas
Master Guide

Post by sgallas »

What a beauty! Ive had collies for the past twenty years and he is reminiscent of a tri - color we had the pleasure of his company for fourteen years. Long may yours run.

406tom
Guide

Post by 406tom »

Thanks guys - he is a handsome little spud. And yes he will be a hat model for sure. We lost our other tri-color in September at 10 years old, way too young. He had heart trouble and a stroke at the end. The other guy was so mopy and subdued we thought another companion would be good for him. They are now best buds.

BTW, if anyone remembers, Boston Blackie was a movie detective from the 40s and one of my favorite movie characters.

Tom

dennis
Master Guide

Post by dennis »

Here's Wim - she's just now 13 weeks. She's nearly tripled in weight in the 7 weeks since she became part of the family.

Here she is the first week "home".

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

Here are a few pictures of Nikki. My wife took her hunting for the first time in December and she did pretty well. Here she is being lazy.

Capt. Frank
Master Guide

Post by Capt. Frank »

My Whippet Logan in lounging mode.

Thomas Mitchell
Sport

Post by Thomas Mitchell »

Love this thread.

With he exception of the 3 years I lived in Japan, I've had a dog pretty much my entire life. It's heart wrenching when we have to let them go. I always say "no more" and always end up with another furry best friend, usually some sort of shepherd.

As I'm now into my 50's, 'Princess Yuki' is probably my last shepherd. I waited to get a Belgian until my kids were gone which was maybe too long. The conventional wisdom about Belgian Shepherds (Malinois, Tervuren, Groenendale, Laekenois) requiring a lot out of an owner is true. I've never worked with a smarter, more driven and 'hard' dog. She's a handful and I've lost 15lbs since getting her from all the walking and hiking in my failed attempts to tire her out... She definitely lets me know when I'm slacking off.
ImageYuki_12.09.17.01

Imageyuki_klickitat

Imageyuki_yakima

ImageYuki_Farm

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

Some of you folks have seen these photos before. I am always happy to share my days a field with you and of course with our dog Sadie. Affectionately know as "The Hammerhead" but also as one of the finest Ruffed Grouse dogs that has ever flushed a covert. Well, with a heavy heart I felt it necessary to announce her passing. She was put to sleep today after a surprisingly quick decline from what is believed to have been cancer. When she stopped eating and couldn't stand or sit or lie down on her own we new it was time. We had ten excellent years in the field and on the water together and she will be sorely missed. But leaving this planet with what bit of dignity she had left we felt was the best alternative. So, please , no need to respond. Simply do me, my wife and Sadie a favor and take your dogs for a long walk the sun. We would appreciate that.

Peace, Mark

Boise Bamboo
Guide

Post by Boise Bamboo »

Today we said goodbye to our beloved Elka. Heart wrenching. She was truly special and will be dearly missed.
ImageRest in Peace, Elka. by dvconner, on Flickr

Capt. Frank
Master Guide

Post by Capt. Frank »

My new second Whippet, pup.

gt05254
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by gt05254 »

The bad news: Brodie cut a toe pad so deeply it needed stitches on his second day of a trip to New Brunswick in September, so he was completely out of action for the duration:

The good news: I stay with friends Paul and Stephanie at their camp in New Brunswick for the third week of my annual fall atlantic salmon fishing trip. They have a new addition to their family that is one solid ball of energy and teething action...here with some salmon pool sand (she's one part wired haired griffon, one part something else):

Gary

bfoster
Sport

Post by bfoster »

Cash - My constant companion, best bud and hunting partner!

pgwulf
Guide

Post by pgwulf »

Gus the Wirehaired Pointing Griffon & I waiting for his turn at a NAVHDA Test

Gus with his prize for the day
"Outside a dog, a book is man's best friend...inside a dog, it's too dark to read!" Groucho Marx

dennis
Master Guide

Post by dennis »

An update on Wim - now 15 months old.
Weight about 43 lbs - they call her the petite black lab at the veterinarian office - fast and agile and fearless.
She's also the most bird focused dog we've owned - I don't hunt but she really seems to want to go!

Last edited by dennis on 11/25/18 13:52, edited 2 times in total.

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jhuskey »

Gary, update on Brodie?

Dennis, great looking Lab. Hope she gets to "work" like she wants to.

wiscoy
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wiscoy »

gt05254 wrote: (she's one part wired haired griffon, one part something else):
Gary
Gary -great puppy picture I had an uncle that raised cockers - got a free pup once when an unintended breeding occurred - he referred to the pups as half cocker - half traveling salesman :rollin

been an incredibly poor year for gathering fly tying material here - after a soaking wet start, we got iced out of the marsh over a week ago and looks like a short window of above freezing rain next week may open it for a couple days before we lose it again - and the birds have likely left anyway -

had hoped this would be a formative year for young Macallan - he did well in his few chances

"It is better to tie one good fly in an hour than a dozen that would only be taken by a trout with a sense of humor"
Uncle Bill

gt05254
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by gt05254 »

Brodie got an infection in that foot, but our usual vet got him all healed up and he's good to go! Thanks for asking!
Gary

wiscoy
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wiscoy »

Macallan had a romp in the fresh snow, duck season has been over for a while here, so any time out in this weather is fun

"It is better to tie one good fly in an hour than a dozen that would only be taken by a trout with a sense of humor"
Uncle Bill

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jhuskey »

Very handsome dog wiscoy! Years of joy to come hopefully!

One of my daughters just had to say goodbye to her 13+ year old boxer Boots a couple weeks ago. Great friendly dog she was.
My daughter was to rescue a pointer mix (Winnie Mae) tomorrow but she developed a blog clot today during her spey operation and was lost. Very much sadness in our Family - give your dogs and cats some loving attention. Be Safe and Well.

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”