Orvis putter

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

canerodscom
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Orvis putter

Post by canerodscom »

No Jeremy, I never really flirted with scratch, though our high school team did win the State championship. But that was almost 40 years ago. Got back down to a seven handicap when I picked the game up again a few years back. Probably never see that again. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cork & Cane
Guide

Post by Cork & Cane »

Art Neumann used to carry an Orvis putter, and referred to it as "Calamity Jane" and there was a reference to Bobby Jones. Art played to a low single digit handicap "Just after the War", and would have always been competitive. He was a very good golfer and really enjoyed the game, and had a wonderful touch around and on the greens.

I also have a similar Orvis putter, I think brass head, splitcane shaft with a leather wrapped grip, and it came my way in a trade for a Heddon 125 reel. But when I swing a golf club it's been described as being similar to digging for treasure or killing a snake.

William4Poole

Post by William4Poole »

I can advise you to buy a TaylorMade club, it is already a more advanced level than Odyssey. The price varies depending on the model, the simplest is about 250 dollars. Also, you can pick up something cheaper, but still better in quality than Odessa. Look here for a good selection of golf clubs.
https://golf-hook.com/reviews/best-mallet-putters-2018/ O0

roycestearns
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by roycestearns »

Harry, hold on to that putter it's piece to a very cool historical story.

In the 1890's golf was starting to take off in the US. One of the earliest 18 hole golf courses was built in Manchester VT right behind the CF Orvis rod manufacturing building on Union street. Much of the backing came out of NY including Bartlett Arkell. Franklin Orvis and Charles Orvis were early investors as well. The club was named Ekwanok Country Club and hosted a number of significant tournaments. The history is documented here https://www.ekwanok.com/club-history/bartlett-arkell

Charles Orvis never understood the game, there is a story about him questioning an avid player as the individual was trying to tee off. There is no evidence that the CFO shop made a club but Charles was willing to sell anything sporting goods related whether it was bicycles, tennis rackets, or golf equipment from his store front.

Along came Bartlett (Bart) Arkell to rescue the CFO company during the great depression. Bart was already keeping the Ekwanok club alive. Being good friends with Duckie Cochran he helped fund the restart of CF Orvis, and the first thing they did was bring in Wes Jordan. Wes explored a number of possibilities for bamboo at SB including archery bows and arrow shafts, violin bows, and now with Bart's expertise he could re invent the golf club shaft. So before WWII started the Wes Jordan Orvis was developing golf shafts and ski poles based on the impregnation process Wes had developed for rods. Wes re started the rod making operation on Union ave right next to the Ekwanok golf club in Manchester VT.

Orvis reissued these golf putters and I'm not sure how to determine the age of the one you have, but it would be interesting to find out if this was one of the pre WWII putters.

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, Didn't Garrison get interested in fly rods by wanting to make golf clubs?

Jay Edwards

DUCKMANNM
Master Guide

Post by DUCKMANNM »

I've got a Bamboo shafted putter with plated brass head, but can't put worth a hoot with it. Went back to my Arnold Palmer personal! I stripped the bamboo with steel wool and denatured alcohol and then did a hand rubbed finish. Looks sharp, but does not putt sharp, not enough weight in the head!

DUCKMANNM
Master Guide

Post by DUCKMANNM »

I made a post but it doesn't show. Do it again.! I've got a bamboo shafted putter with a plated brass head, but don't know who made it. Got it at Goodwill of all places. For a Dollar! I used it after I stripped and refinished the shaft, with a hand rubbed finish with Tru-Oil, but I can't putt with it worth a hoot. It is just a little too light in the head, so I had to go back to my Arnold Palmer Personal.

Mike N
Master Guide

Post by Mike N »

I love that Orvis putter. An avid fisherman also needs a Heddon driver and fairway 3-wood in his golf bag, too. See photos below.

From antiquefishinglures.com:

“John Heddon developed the steel golf club division in 1931 moving onto steel ski poles then steel bait and fly rods. They were manufactured with John Heddon's exclusive patented process for tapering steel tubing and tempering the steel with a heat treat operation. It was because of their capability for tapering and heat-treating steel tubing that James Heddon's Sons were able to secure its first war contract. They made aerial mast's and antennas for the signal corps and other restricted radio communication equipment for military vehicles. They also made a fold up box kite which was used with emergency communications equipment for pilots that were shot down.”

Click on photos to enlarge.

Mike N.
Founder, Old Reel Collectors Association (ORCA)
Member, NFLCC & FATC
Vintage Orvis collector

magpie
Guide

Post by magpie »

To me, there is nothing as lovely as a golf course gone fallow.

FreestoneVintage
Sport

Post by FreestoneVintage »

I was flipping through a 1960's Orvis catalog a few weeks ago and stumbled across the Orvis putters for the first time. I hopped on the ol' interwebs and found a model 164 that now resides next to my desk. I haven't played in a few years but I'm sure this will make an appearance if I every pick my sticks up again. Scan is from the 1966 Orvis catalog.

Nate

Look at that hosel!

Imageonline website to post pics on forums

BTW: if anyone has a mint condition Visible Trout they are willing to part with, let me know! :D

JohnMD1022
Master Guide

Post by JohnMD1022 »

Both Orvis and Hardy made cane-shafted golf clubs.

As an aside, Vince Marinaro did the same in the few years he tried golf.

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”