How to Waterproof

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

joaniebo
Bamboo Fanatic

How to Waterproof

Post by joaniebo »

Saw this clip on Yahoo this morning. Don't know how long it'll be there but thought it to be interesting:

https://www.yahoo.com/makers/as-spring- ... 74305.html

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: How to Waterproof

Post by Hellmtflies »

Interesting. Thanx! But my only concern was that there was no mention as to whether the item you are waterproofing will or won't change color. I would try this on a piece of cloth or something that you don't care about first.

mwfick
Guide

Post by mwfick »

I was thinking that this solution in combination with a vacuum jar would work to treat furled thread leaders. Has anybody given this a try?
Mike

BrownBear
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BrownBear »

Reminds me of "the good old days" of commercial dry fly tying back in the 1960's and 1970's when decent dry hackle was about as rare as honest politicians:

Tie your gross grosses, dump them all in a 2# coffee can (remember those?), spray liberally with Scotchguard aerosol, snap the lid on the can and shake well. Let them sit overnight, and they floated like corks. For a while.

Oneighty
Guide

Post by Oneighty »

mwfick wrote:I was thinking that this solution in combination with a vacuum jar would work to treat furled thread leaders. Has anybody given this a try?
Mike
I think the answer to that is no. To make them float they need to be coated or soaked in something that itself will float, I think caulking will sink like a brick. Even coated on the outside the leader may or may not float but it will float lower than a non coated leader. Something that repels water could still sink.
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore looking like an idiot.
Steven Wright

rsagebrush
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by rsagebrush »

I use RainX on completed floaters and it works very well.

joaniebo
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by joaniebo »

I did the above post as a possible way to waterproof equipment (bags, jackets, hats / caps, etc.) not for using on flies, as "waterproof" does not necessarily mean the same as "floatant".

Lee Slikkers
Master Guide

Post by Lee Slikkers »

I've wondered how this product would work...

~Lee

"A trout is a moment of beauty known only to those who seek it."
~ Arnold Gingrich

aged_sage
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by aged_sage »

Thompson's Water Seal will do the same thing, and it is already mixed. I have not used it on my flies, though I have used it on all of my hunting boots with great success. It does not change the color of concrete, wood, or, in my case, leather; thus, I would not expect it to alter the color of fabric materials.

BGreer
Master Guide

Post by BGreer »

Lee Slikkers wrote:I've wondered how this product would work...

Someone did a little test on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9rYJSuE9Wk

Short Tip
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Short Tip »

After working in the glazing industry for a 1/4 century, few things match my loathing for silicone caulk. The acetic acid will certainly corrode all those zippers and grommets before too much time passes.

thegubster
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by thegubster »

BGreer wrote:
Lee Slikkers wrote:I've wondered how this product would work...

Someone did a little test on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9rYJSuE9Wk

Thanks BG. Pretty interesting. I think I'll stick with my usual commercial stuff for awhile. Maybe try some Alby. this season.

Jeremy.

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”