Show your tying bench

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

dave potts
Guide

Re: Show your tying bench

Post by dave potts »

[imgImage][/img]Here is a photo of my current tying area which is setup in a corner of our basement:

Dave

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

dave potts wrote:[imgImage][/img]Here is a photo of my current tying area which is setup in a corner of our basement:

Dave
Now that room is impressive. Good on ya! :)

BrownBear
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BrownBear »

Hellmtflies wrote:How do those of you that don't place your tying benches in front of a window get natural light to assist in color selection for dubbing etc.
In the photo of my CA setup, that light from the left is a large picture window. In AK I have a similar arrangement. I recognize the value of natural light for color choices, but I absolutely despise having light coming right at my face from behind my vise. "Back lighting" as photographers call it can greatly affect your choices of light and dark, while also obscuring details. Especially as your eyes get older and geezier. ;)

tomimc
Master Guide

Post by tomimc »

Finally found, and pulled the trigger, on a new tying desk.

I just installed a new little ventless gas stove in the old drafty fireplace this winter, so much nicer than the old Kerosun I've been running.....and now my house is warm all the time and I'm tired of tying and wrapping rods at my already crowded Computer/work desk. Been looking for a decent old slant front for a while now, especially since I figured out the space.

Test run with the coffee table to check on sizing. (No stemware was harmed in this mock up...pint glasses were too short.)

And so this is the piece I found today, at the antique mall in Milroy, PA....bunch of ya'll have been by on the way to Spring Creek or Penns I'm sure. Old Arts n Crafts Mission style, old label indicates Honeoye Falls Furniture Company, I'm guessing late '20's-30's on this particular one. Chair seems to have some character and is comfortable enough for $25, I'm pretty dang happy. Haven't move the tying gear into it yet, I've got all evening...

Also ran across this Martin 63 Tuna can, w/ box and papers, for $25, why not? Had to cut off a ton of mono and what looks like kite string for backing....never saw that before.

thegubster
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by thegubster »

Tom,

Wow, nice pick. I see a few nice pcs. of furniture there, the desk and chair are tops! Good for you. Looks to be quarter-sawn oak, as a guess.

Just be careful when you lean on your elbows...treat her kindly. A beautiful piece and love the grain. Excellent, warm color too.

Jeremy - who also loves that floor you have!

tomimc
Master Guide

Post by tomimc »

Thanks Gub. After yrs of nosing around and probably a month of serious looking, I'm really happy with the desk. This is a neat little place I moved into, bought it from a buddy's ex a couple yrs ago, after she did all the remodeling. It's a small, 120ish yr old townhouse, pine floors of various ages and levelness throughout. Got everything transferred and moved in last night; a drawer full of feathers, other goto mat'l in the cubbies, thread spool in the drawers. Overflow mat'l stored in the wooden trunk my dad built for me a few years ago.

Finally sat down to shake the rust off and break it all in with a dozen #14, kinda rough hares ear soft hackles...

There's probably a 'man cave' thread I could revive, but here's a shot of the living room now.

The upstairs loft, previous all in one work space:

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”