Taking off waders.

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

bvandeuson
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Taking off waders.

Post by bvandeuson »

oddsnrods wrote:Thanks for the input so far, much appreciated. My main reason for preferring stockingfoot waders, both breathable and neoprene, is that they work with the flippers that I use in my float tube and pontoon boat (at times). They also look better (in my opinion) - wading boots and tend not to be prone to the wear that the boot foot ones have between the boot and the waders. In my experience of rubber boots not attached to waders, they often crack after a couple of years unless copious amounts of silicone is sprayed on to them.
I have no experience of quagmire like mud which suck off ones wading boots although I have ploughed though some pretty deep stuff in the past.
I accidentally got into a small quagmire in the the Smoky Mountain National Park one time. It had vegetation on top so I thought it was all right. To keep my wading shoes (Borger's) from coming off. I literally had to sit down in it and rock my feet back and forth to open some space around the boot. I tossed my rod up on the good part because I needed the assistance of both hands and my wading staff to crawl out on my hands and knees. Glad my fishing partner didn't see it, what an embarrassment.

BB

GrsdLnr
Master Guide

Post by GrsdLnr »

oddsnrods wrote: I have no experience of quagmire like mud which suck off ones wading boots although I have ploughed though some pretty deep stuff in the past.
Never lost a boot but muck pulled the studded felt sole off one ***** brand wading shoe once. Long, slippery walk back to the car.

snorider
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by snorider »

I carry an old door mat in my truck, and roll it out for putting on and taking off waders. Once my boots are off I step onto the mat and roll the tops down to my feet, sit on the tail gate and extricate my 13's from the @#$@ things. For years I used simms boot foot waders and loved them literally to death. Then I got a good deal on stocking foot goretex simms and they are still going strong but when they wear out I'm going back to boot foot waders they are much easier to deal with IMO.

BB that story got me thinking of my trip to a spring creek I used to duck hunt on as a kid. This last summer, I got the great idea I would wade down the creek from a bridge near the headwaters then have lunch wait an hour and fish my way back to the truck. I hit deep mud 25 feet from the creek but kept working thinking when I hit water the wading will be easy...When I hit water I sunk to almost the top of my waders in a fowl black mire with a stomach turning sulfurous stink and literally could not move, near an hour of shipping slime in my waders while squirming and crawling and I made it back to the truck, peeled off my mud covered waders and jacket and went home for a shower. I wont be back.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it. T.R.

recane1
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by recane1 »

Socks seem to help a lot when removing waders

Aaron

Doublehauler
Master Guide

Post by Doublehauler »

Trade those stocking feets in for boot foots, (feets), I did that years ago, and I ain't going back. One less item to forget, too, boots. ( Which I also have done )

BrownBear
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BrownBear »

Doublehauler wrote:One less item to forget, too, boots. ( Which I also have done )
Oh yeah. So often that both my wife and I have old near-death wading boots rattling around in the truck bed. Better than throwing them away, and we get a few more chances to wear them out each year. ::)

Daddy Rabbit

Post by Daddy Rabbit »

Reviving an old topic..I stumbled on this site looking for an easy way to get out of my stocking foot waders.The bag trick is ingenious.I used it this weekend and it worked great for an ole fat man..I appreciate the hel;p.. :wave

Daddy Rabbit

Post by Daddy Rabbit »

cebe wrote:Kitchen bags or plastic grocery bags work great with the neoprene booties on breathables. Been using them for years, saves on wear and tear on the waders.
This was a great idea..Worked for me this weekend! I have a small leak on the right side making it nearly impossible to get my foot out. I felt like i was skinning a squirrel.They slide right off now!

DrLogik
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by DrLogik »

I keep two big black jumbo heavy duty contractor trash bags rolled up in my wader bag. I sit down on one and peel the waders off from the top like a snake sheds its skin onto the other bag and turn the bag inside out and flop in the car. That's been my method for years. Always have a clean dry mat to stand on to boot!

I have also found those black trash bags a great camouflage for gear stored in the back seat or truck.

Loogie
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Loogie »

BrownBear wrote:
Doublehauler wrote:One less item to forget, too, boots. ( Which I also have done )
Oh yeah. So often that both my wife and I have old near-death wading boots rattling around in the truck bed. Better than throwing them away, and we get a few more chances to wear them out each year. ::)

I miss the BrownBear! Thanks for bringing this post back and reminding me what a good guy he was!

ablecane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ablecane »

Fortunately, my better half and I almost always fish together. One of us sits on the tailgate while the other removes the seated person's boots, waders, etc. then vice versa. Perfect!

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”