Antique Creel

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

uniquafly
Master Guide

Antique Creel

Post by uniquafly »

I'm looking for some information about what to use for cleaning, restoring and protection of the leather and willow of antique creels. I have some really nice creels and the willow of some has begun to dry out and become somewhat brittle. I'm hoping there is something I can apply to them that will restore the flexibility of the willow and keep them preserved and beautiful.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.
Gary
“He told us about Christ's disciples being fishermen, and we were left to assume, as my brother and I did, that all first-class fishermen on the Sea of Galilee were fly fishermen and that John, the favorite, was a dry-fly fisherman.”

Norman Maclean

Oxbow
Master Guide

Re: Antique Creel

Post by Oxbow »

You may want to contact Mark McKellip - goes by fishwoodrods here on the forum. I know he was a collector of creels at one time and probably restored a few like he did rods.

uniquafly
Master Guide

Post by uniquafly »

OnlyTrout,
thanks for the reply and your help.
Gary
“He told us about Christ's disciples being fishermen, and we were left to assume, as my brother and I did, that all first-class fishermen on the Sea of Galilee were fly fishermen and that John, the favorite, was a dry-fly fisherman.”

Norman Maclean

bvandeuson
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bvandeuson »

You can use one of many products to condition the leather, but if you use Neat's Foot oil, use it sparingly. With other leather conditioners, just follow the directions. As to the wicker work, I used Teak Oil intended for the wood trim on boats. Just brush it on inside and out, being careful not to get it on the leather where it will show. After the Teak oil has had a chance to soak into the wicker, you can go over it with a rag, bringing your creel back to life. My antique creel has no leather, so I just brushed on about 3 coats of the Teak oil.

BB

uniquafly
Master Guide

Post by uniquafly »

Thanks for the tip BB
Does the Teak oil seal the rattan/wicker?

Norman Maclean

dave potts
Guide

Post by dave potts »

I've got one I'd like to redo also. The wicker is quite dirty. Can you safely clean the wicker with a mild soap and water-then let dry and apply the Teak oil?

uniquafly
Master Guide

Post by uniquafly »

I must confess that I did, several years ago, clean a rattan creel with a very soft bristle brush, saddle soap and a garden hose. It turned out okay, I suppose. I didn't notice any damage to the creel but it gets very limber when soaking wet. I have no idea if I did the right thing by using the saddle soap and that's why I come here to poll the other members of our forum to see it there's a different, better way of cleaning and treating them. Among the millions of creels made there are some, especially from around the turn of the century and into the 40's, that are very beautiful. I would feel awful about screwing up a beautiful 100 year old fish basket. I'd like to do my best to help it survive another 100 years.

I'm curious about this teak oil. Sounds like a viable option but I'm not using it until I get more information on this type of application.

Thanks to everyone who has chimed in so far! I hope to hear from some others who may know something about the subject.
Gary

Norman Maclean

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bassman »

I would just take them out, stuff them full of brookies, roll them around good, and that will rejuvenate not only your creel but your frying pan and your spirits. Worked for me.

bvandeuson
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bvandeuson »

uniquafly wrote:Thanks for the tip BB
I believe the Teak Oil acts as a sealer and protectant, but it's not like a permanent finish. It's intended for unvarnished Teak trim on boats and must be re-applied periodically depending on use. As far as a creel is concerned, unless you were using it every day, and it was getting attacked by weather, fish slime, sun, etc. I don't think it would need additional treatments.

bvandeuson
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bvandeuson »

uniquafly wrote:I must confess that I did, several years ago, clean a rattan creel with a very soft bristle brush, saddle soap and a garden hose. It turned out okay, I suppose. I didn't notice any damage to the creel but it gets very limber when soaking wet. I have no idea if I did the right thing by using the saddle soap and that's why I come here to poll the other members of our forum to see it there's a different, better way of cleaning and treating them. Among the millions of creels made there are some, especially from around the turn of the century and into the 40's, that are very beautiful. I would feel awful about screwing up a beautiful 100 year old fish basket. I'd like to do my best to help it survive another 100 years.

I'm curious about this teak oil. Sounds like a viable option but I'm not using it until I get more information on this type of application.

Thanks to everyone who has chimed in so far! I hope to hear from some others who may know something about the subject.
Gary
I wouldn't get a creel so wet it turned limber. I don't believe a mild cleaner like Murphy's Oil Soap for wood would hurt it...that and a soft brush.

BB

klingon
Master Guide

Post by klingon »

After cleaning and thoroughly drying (sunshine) I would give it multiple coats of Tru-oil applied with a rag. Buff the finish with a soft rag. The results will be as good as it gets.

uniquafly
Master Guide

Post by uniquafly »

bassman wrote:I would just take them out, stuff them full of brookies, roll them around good, and that will rejuvenate not only your creel but your frying pan and your spirits. Worked for me.
Excellent suggestion!

Norman Maclean

uniquafly
Master Guide

Post by uniquafly »

bvandeuson wrote:
uniquafly wrote:Thanks for the tip BB
I believe the Teak Oil acts as a sealer and protectant, but it's not like a permanent finish. It's intended for unvarnished Teak trim on boats and must be re-applied periodically depending on use. As far as a creel is concerned, unless you were using it every day, and it was getting attacked by weather, fish slime, sun, etc. I don't think it would need additional treatments.
Think I may give this a try. Sounds good.
Thanks for the advice!
Gary

Norman Maclean

deltaskye

Post by deltaskye »

I'm hoping to find someone who can restore my grandfather's creel. It is at least 100 years old. The willow (?) basket is in good shape, but the leather straps and basket flap have deteriorated and should be replaced. I'd like to gift the restored creel to my brother, who is an avid fisherman. I am located in Northern Virginia but could travel to deliver the creel to a trustworthy restorer. Post-COVID and -vaccine. All suggestions appreciated.

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”