Cheap bug sampling net

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

WiFlyFisher
Bamboo Fanatic

Cheap bug sampling net

Post by WiFlyFisher »

I lost my bug net earlier this year and while searching the web I came across an article on Gink & Gasoline about making a cheap bug net to sample the insects in the drift. They bought a painter strainer from Home Depot... http://www.ginkandgasoline.com/fly-fish ... ome-depot/

I happen to go to Home Depot today to get some more house paint and I picked up a package of Elastic Top Paint Strainers (2-Pack) for $3.67. I just tried one of the elastic nylon mesh stainers over my fishing net and it works perfectly. The thin nylon mesh also folds up and will easily fit in any pocket. It is also a lot cheaper than those aquatic bug nets that attach to your net and is easier than what I used to carry -- two 8" long wooden poles with a black nylon mesh in the back of my vest.

Thank you Gink & Gasoline!!

John

jimwright
Master Guide

Re: Cheap bug sampling net

Post by jimwright »

I have had a pair for 3 years, only one used so far. They slide over an Orvis (Brodin) 24" net like they were made for it.

DrLogik
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by DrLogik »

Brilliant idea!!

baughb
Guide

Post by baughb »

My $0.49 fine mesh net from a pet store (in a clearance box).

Gonna look into the bigger ones at home depot.

Bob

flyfishingpastor
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by flyfishingpastor »

Picked up a pack at my local hardware store. What a great idea!

Pat

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”