A Gillum

Use this forum to show off your talents, like photos, drawings, paintings, woodworking, rod making or any other artistic bent you have. Enjoy :)

Moderator: Titelines

Minnesota
Guide

A Gillum

Post by Minnesota »

Excellent except for water mark in reel seat filler as shown. It is a watermark. The previous owner neglected to dry the rod completely before storing it in the tube. Mike Clark filled it with varnish and polished it smooth.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/147229514 ... res/uX665g
Last edited by Minnesota on 02/04/20 17:56, edited 1 time in total.

60InchDV8
Master Guide

Re: A Gillum

Post by 60InchDV8 »

Superb.... Congrats

gooseberryrods
Master Guide

Post by gooseberryrods »

Hello Minnesota,

I would love to hear your impressions of the rod and if you have fished it.
I have a similar 7 1/2’ two piece Gillum which was made about the same time as yours. It is my favorite rod in that length and handles 4 and 5 weight lines perfectly. My rod is a parabolic taper and I do not think it could have been engineered any better since it executes all casting strokes efficiently and delivers the fly to the intended location every time. I am particularly happy with how well the rod roll-casts. Gillum built some amazing rods and I would venture a guess that you hold your rod in the same regard.

Gooseberry

Minnesota
Guide

Post by Minnesota »

I can’t add much to that. You nailed it. All I can say is, and this is probably heresy, my only experience with E. F. Payne is a 100H restored by Don Schroeder, but given my choice, I take Gillum.

Return to “Photos, paintings, written stories and talents.”