Landscape Fishing Art

Use this forum to show off your talents, like photos, drawings, paintings, woodworking, rod making or any other artistic bent you have. Enjoy :)

Moderator: Titelines

roycestearns
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Landscape Fishing Art

Post by roycestearns »

Para Adam - nice work.
AGMD (Kim) needs to share some of his still life's shot with real film.

reelsmith
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by reelsmith »

I've long been a fan of Ralph Ludwig Boyer.

I really need to take better pictures of these. I find it very difficult to get pictures of art behind glass.

Some info here: http://www.tackletreasures.com/favorites/ralph-l-boyer

Dean.

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Landscape Fishing Art-Photos Added

Post by Flyman615 »

My favorites, in addition to Adriano Manocchia, include Chet Reneson, Shirley Cleary and Phil Scholer. I have originals and/or prints from each.
Manocchia
Reneson
Cleary
Scholer

I selected most of this art because I have personally fished the areas/bodies of water depicted over the years.

Scott
Last edited by Flyman615 on 01/21/20 16:52, edited 2 times in total.
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

reelsmith
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by reelsmith »

Flyman615 wrote:My favorites, in addition to Adriano Manocchia, include Chet Reneson, Shirley Cleary and Phil Scholer. I have originals and/or prints from each.

Scott
I like some of Reneson's work as well, but just have one piece, so far, which is my favorite ..."Sand Cay".

Dean.

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

The fisherman depicted in Bob White's, "First Fish of the Season" and "Driftless Dawn" is Dave Norling.

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

I'm reminded that another outstanding and 'classic' landscape fishing artist was A. Lassell Ripley.

Although I have examples of his upland hunting landscapes, the current issue of "Hunting & Fishing Collectibles Magazine" has a simply outstanding article featuring Mr. Ripley's fishing art, mostly in full color.

For those of you unfamiliar with this periodical, I recommend you visit http://www.HFcollectibles.com

I've been a subscriber for 20 years and as a collector have enjoyed every issue.

Scott
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

flyfishingpastor
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by flyfishingpastor »

Paul;

David is pretty proud of that. I know that he really likes Bob. I think they have fished together a few times and I think Bob has a rod of his.

Pat

john8
Guide

Post by john8 »

I have a Chet Reneson print called On the Flats which is very nice it is not framed.

Also have a Manocchia print

Both artists do very nice work of fishing themed landscapes or scenes

gt05254
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by gt05254 »

I'm fortunate to count Thomas Aquinas Daly as an old friend. I have a personalized poster for the Anglers All exhibition that I commissioned him to do, plus a rare limited edition print (he hardly ever did/does LE's) given to me by one of my chapter's when I worked for the Nat. Wild Turkey Fed., plus an etching. I have other grouse related etchings of his...this is the only fishing one. Sorry for all the glare, hopefully you can still get the picture (see what I did there??)

Gary

flyfishalso
Sport

Post by flyfishalso »

I have a few of more Western scenes. Monty Dolack print of the Big Hole and the Firehole Rivers

Shirley Clearly North Fork of Umpquah in Oregon

But the one that means the most to me is a watercolor my late mother painted for me back in the '90s, when the railroad still ran next to the river, of that North Fork of the Stillaguamish River in Western Washington

searun
Master Guide

Post by searun »

flyfishalso wrote:I have a few of more Western scenes. Monty Dolack print of the Big Hole and the Firehole Rivers

Shirley Clearly North Fork of Umpquah in Oregon

But the one that means the most to me is a watercolor my late mother painted for me back in the '90s, when the railroad still ran next to the river, of that North Fork of the Stillaguamish River in Western Washington
Beautiful painting your mother did of the NF Stillaguamish. She was truly an artist.

That would have been at Hazel if I were to guess, with Mt Higgins in the background?

flyfishalso
Sport

Post by flyfishalso »

Correct. In the area where the Monument now is located. She took up water colors after she retired from teaching. I am blessed that she did a few fishing pictures just for me.

flyfishalso

searun
Master Guide

Post by searun »

flyfishalso wrote:Correct. In the area where the Monument now is located. She took up water colors after she retired from teaching. I am blessed that she did a few fishing pictures just for me.

flyfishalso
Your Mother certainly chose a beautiful - and a historical spot.

Brooks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brooks »

I’m a fan of Greg Pearson, who lives in Mountain Green, Utah.

Squaw Bend
Sport

Post by Squaw Bend »

I find Pleissner and Ripley in a class by themselves. Their work makes me want to go back in time and take the place of the gentleman sportsmen that were featured.

gt05254
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by gt05254 »

Here's a Thomas Aquinas Daly that I framed, including a Picasse tied by Tom, that he donated to the Miramichi Salmon Assoc.-U.S. which we recently sold at our Portland, ME event. Is a watercolor. BTW, it sold for $2,000.

Last edited by gt05254 on 03/19/23 09:55, edited 1 time in total.

Greg Reynolds
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Greg Reynolds »

Bought this at AMFF in 2018 and finally framed & hung it this morning:

I had minimal exposure to art growing-up and have been overcompensating for the last 43 years. My favorite artist is Winslow Homer and we have a number of prints of Homer's marine paintings. Loving Homer watercolors, it's hard not to like Chet Reneson and we have a number of his prints of fishing & bird hunting scenes.

We've been collecting antique hand-colored engravings, chromolithographs & photogravures of mostly maritime and nature subjects for years. Sadly, there's little wall space left so this will be among the last:

St Vrain Angler
Master Guide

Post by St Vrain Angler »

Not fine art, but certainly the most treasured pieces in my fishing alcove...

giclée print from a photo taken by one of my fishing buddies

advertising poster pilfered from a newspaper vending machine about thirty years ago

SalmoNewf
Guide

Post by SalmoNewf »

My little den features a favourite salmon fishing print from John Swan

and a couple of prints framed with salmon flies by Gary Tanner, GT5254, who has posted above.

There are others as well but these are the highlights.

Return to “Photos, paintings, written stories and talents.”