Landscape Fishing Art

Use this forum to show off your talents, like photos, drawings, paintings, woodworking, rod making or any other artistic bent you have. Enjoy :)

Moderator: Titelines

dorenac
Master Guide

Landscape Fishing Art

Post by dorenac »

I'm not much for artistic depictions of fish. Yes there are plenty of anglers who love to see artistic interpretations of the gorgeous fish we pursue, but my preferences are for beautiful places imaginary and real depictitions of the far reaches of our country. The romantic paintings, prints and so on with fisherman creating beautiful loops with their casts in beautiful places. Who are some of your favorite artists? I have two Russell Chatham prints (can't afford originals), a Bret Smith print, and a couple Joel Ostlind etchings. I have hung these in my rod shop for inspiration, especially when I need it during winter. But I like to collect affordable prints, too. I would love to hear what you folks like.

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Landscape Fishing Art

Post by headwaters »

The artwork of John Swan, such as that used on the covers of the books by Robert J. Romano, Jr., e.g. North of Easie, West of Rangeley, and Brook Trout Blues.

roycestearns
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by roycestearns »

I wonder if it happens as we age ... more time to sit and stare ;)

I've been buying a bit of fishing art for the last 4-5 years ... prints mostly. Reneson, Plessiner, even a skin mount by Footer.

Kinda of goofy really, I wonder if the kids will have an interest when I go!

para_adams
Master Guide

Post by para_adams »

I agree with dorenac, no fish prints for me, I love the landscapes. Here's whats over my fireplace, a print "Stalking the Brown" by Robert Abbett, and my refinished SB Cross #164.

Perry Palin
Master Guide

Post by Perry Palin »

Bob White, a Minnesota artist, has had many images appear in books and magazines, and as cover and inside illustrations for outdoor books. And he is a great guy. See some of his paintings can be seen on his website at https://www.bobwhitestudio.com/

dorenac
Master Guide

Post by dorenac »

Para_Adams your display of a nice rod is a great variation on the print with flies matted and framed. I am unpacking after an across country move and as I unwrap my prints they bring back good memories of different stages in my fishing life. Books create mental images while artwork is out front and right there.

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by creakycane »

I noticed Gordon Allen has a new (to me) website with some nice etchings. His etching and drawings are among my favorites.

http://gordonallenart.com/collections/22303
Last edited by creakycane on 01/15/20 11:34, edited 1 time in total.

dorenac
Master Guide

Post by dorenac »

Years ago I remember a monthly publication found in fly shops on the East Coast which would feature a prominent fishing artist on the front page. Seemed a good way to introduce artists to the anglers and vice versa.
I really like those Smith etchings. I also have an old Peter Corbin poster but unfortunately it got faded by fluorescent lights in my office.

cutthroatkid
Guide

Post by cutthroatkid »

Brent Cotton is an artist living along the Bitterroot river who does wonderful paintings of river scenes, often depicting fly fishermen. He has a website and his work is worth looking at for those interested.

Random Casts
Master Guide

Post by Random Casts »

Also check out Galen Mercer Sporting Art, website by the same name.

Cheers,
Richard
Random Casts

para_adams
Master Guide

Post by para_adams »

Apologies if this is off-topic, but I've been working on still-life images of classic rods and gear recently. Not fishing landscapes, but I hope to add those to my collection in the future. I have one 24x36 metal print of a still-life so far which has been on display at a local shop with other prints of non-fishing landscapes I've taken.

mlarocco
Master Guide

Post by mlarocco »

Oregon artist Dean Crouser's water colors are becoming more popular. Here is a link to his print page

http://www.crouserart.com/fish-fishing/

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

I will second Perry's recommendation of Bob White. Pictured are Bob and his wife, Lisa. I last ran into him when I picked up a framed print for my daughter.

slw
Master Guide

Post by slw »

An original water color of Bailey Bend on the AuSable by Mark Steele.

john8
Guide

Post by john8 »

I have always liked Pleissner’s work when it comes to fishing scenery artwork. I was fortunate to pick up one of his prints a little over a year ago, it now hangs in the Family room.

I also picked up a Corbin print of the Cascapedia a few years back at an auction for a steal.

I do have some of my own original oil landscape paintings as well which are done based on some of the scenery around some of my favorite fishing areas.

gt05254
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by gt05254 »

For many years, I collected sporting and wildlife limited edition prints and etchings primarily related to setters and bird hunting. Among those, the etchings I have by A.L. Ripley, Schaldach and Tom Daly are my favorites. Only in the past couple years, when we decided to build a camp on the Miramichi and I got into building shadowbox framings have I been getting into fishy stuff. The largest is this Henry McDaniel print that I framed out of barnwood that was laying around on the land we bought. I like the old McDaniel stuff.
Gary

And btw, John (John8 here) donated one of his watercolors for me to add flies to and frame as a fundraiser for the Miramichi Salmon Assoc. It did VERY well in the auction.

flyfishingpastor
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by flyfishingpastor »

I have a number of prints, hunting and fishing, the only ones of any real value would be the ones I have of Kasey Nixon - a relative newcomer and the son of a forum member. And, of course, Bob White. He's painted a couple of friends of mine and he's done some of John Gierach's later book cover pictures.

Pat
P.S. I forgot about Michigan artist David Ruimveld! I have a couple of his prints. Love his work. Jessica L. Bryant is a water color artist from Idaho that does great work on mostly Idaho scenes. I don't have any of her work - yet!

gt05254
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by gt05254 »

My old friend Adriano Manocchia does lovely fly fishing scenics. He's been just about every conservation NGO out there's artist of the year. He has a website, but a google search shows a vast array of his work. LOL, by the way, this is an uncompensated endorsement.

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1AF ... 00&bih=757

Gary

mlarocco
Master Guide

Post by mlarocco »

Midcurrent has a web page of some artist sites to check out. Certainly not comprehensive

https://midcurrent.com/art/

flyrodman
Master Guide

Post by flyrodman »

Just a few,
Henry McDaniel original watercolor, fosse Richard Matapedia River, Que. Henry's son Joe has put together a book of his Fathers paintings and believes this is the only one he painted of the Matapedia River.

Pen & ink by Richard "Dick" Lawrence in the late nineteen seventies of fosse Richard Matapedia River, Que. This sketch shows the Guardian Quarters. It was later burnt by vandalism.

Ogden Pleissner print, 16 x 26 Grande River, Upper Malbaie. Signed by Ogden M Pleisser in the matting, lower right inset. Embossed signature lower left of the print.

Print by Dick Lawrence, Cap Sieze Matane River Que

Return to “Photos, paintings, written stories and talents.”