Pileated Woodpecker

Use this forum to show off your talents, like photos, drawings, paintings, woodworking, rod making or any other artistic bent you have. Enjoy :)

Moderator: Titelines

WiFlyFisher
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Pileated Woodpecker

Post by WiFlyFisher »

Years ago, at our old cabin next door is a metal chimney top and more than once at around 5:00 - 5:30 am we were awaken by a small downy woodpecker banging on the metal. I would run out and yell at him which I think amused him.

John

Greg Reynolds
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Greg Reynolds »

flyslinger wrote:...Because of how vast that swamp is, when I do spot one, I always scrutinize the markings to make sure I'm not really seeing the elusive or extinct Ivory billed woodpecker...
Wouldn't this be great?
https://www.audubon.org/news/possible-i ... ion-debate

flyfishingpastor
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by flyfishingpastor »

Awesome pictures. :)

Pat

flyslinger
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by flyslinger »

That would be great, Greg. However unlikely, it would be like hitting the bird lottery, especially if myself or one of my fishing buddies were the ones to get video or clear pictures of an Ivory Bill. It's always been a dream to be a part of something like that.
"Always drink upstream from the herd."

Jim Curlee
Guide

Post by Jim Curlee »

John8;
Awesome pic.
Clear, centered in the frame, pretty dammed good for an action photo.
Be a great magazine cover.
Thanks
Jim

magpie
Guide

Post by magpie »

We had nest in our woods. Seeing the youngsters slipping and sliding on the trees was amusing.

john8
Guide

Post by john8 »

Jim-
Thanks for the comments glad you liked the picture. With the new digital DSLR cameras you can take a bunch of pictures of birds and then keep the ones that turn out well. Much harder back in the days of film, etc. My dad tried to teach me as a kid with the light meters and F stops, etc but was hard to get all this lined up when taking pictures of birds, etc at least for me. I still have his old Leica film Cameras but they are more just decoration pieces.

Here is another one I got of the Pileated Woodpecker, this one is neat due to how the woodpecker is lighted in the tree canopy. Love how his red head stands out and the mohawk look of it.

Return to “Photos, paintings, written stories and talents.”